PDA

View Full Version : 9 hours later, phew !

badbob454
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
i cast some ingots in a frying pan smelter today cant use my firepit today too dry fire hazard ... got @ 500 lbs so much my healthy son and i could barely pick up the 8 mm turkish box of lead the clip ons are marked COWW ..... THE SOFT STICK ON LEAD IS MARKED PB ALL IS ZINC FREE ,AND AS PURE AS POSSIBLE ....I ATTACHED SOME PICS , IF THIS WORKS I THINK I USED @ 4 1/2 5 GAL BUCKETS OF COWW AND A MED SIZE BOX FOR THE STICK ON SOFT LEAD I DONT KNOW HAVE @ 6 MORE BUCKETS TO INGOTIZE ( IS THAT A WORD?)
I HAD 4 ZINCS FLOATING AFTER HAND SORTING AND PULLED THEM OFF GOOD TO MELT IN A PAN THEY FLOAT REAL GOOD ... I EVEN GOT BRAIN DEAD AND HAD A FEW FE OR IRON WEIGHTS IN THERE MUSTA GOT SPACED OUT WHEN SORTING ,,, HOPE YOU LIKE THE PICS

badbob454
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
More pics,... I MADE THE BIG BLOCKS FROM 3" CHANNEL IRON THEY ARE @ 6 '' LONG AND FILLED ARE 6+ POUNDS OF LEAD

onondaga
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks like great work and your marking is terrific too. You will be happy you took the time to do it well.

Gary

badbob454
08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
looks like great work and your marking is terrific too. You will be happy you took the time to do it well.

Gary

yeah i got tO mark it i have so much linotype, monotype, stereotype, solder , tin ,of different percentages solder and lead types i have to mark it or i wont know what it is

badbob454
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
When i was younger i didnt know about zinc i finally shot up all my zinc contaminated lead had to cast it frosty had @ 150 lbs of it just heated up ol drippy and cast it in the big guns

dieguy59
08-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Well done. I need to start marking more distinctly instead of just storing seperately.

badbob454
08-25-2011, 12:25 AM
just finished 175 more lbs in bar form coww plus 3% tin added marked em COWW P3T
more to do romorrow 5 more buckets filled my propane tank for a second go..

a.squibload
08-25-2011, 03:22 AM
Good job, that's a lotta work but worth it.
I should make some channel molds, looks good.
I've been using the letter stamps, no question later what they are.
Need to trade in one of my propane tanks, it's old style, hope they take it.
Smelt on!

badbob454
08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Good job, that's a lotta work but worth it.
I should make some channel molds, looks good.
I've been using the letter stamps, no question later what they are.
Need to trade in one of my propane tanks, it's old style, hope they take it.
Smelt on!

9 if it is just the old valve style )yeah they will take the old style but charge an arm and a leg to do so iv heard home depo is a good place to trade as the charge isnt so bad , usually plus 25bucks for the new valve installed in another exchange tank . im a survivalist i have 6 propane tanks not counting on my trailer the 2 old ones usually i try to keep them full ...make beer, lead, smelting etc .

:cbpour::cbpour::cbpour::cbpour::cbpour::cbpour::c bpour::Fire:

mold maker
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
At $25 for the valve exchange, I'd just pay the $4. more, and get a new tank. Then I'd cit the old one for an extra smelting pot.
I exchanged all my old style, at Wally World, no questions asked.

bumpo628
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
You could chop the old tank and sell it to help pay for your new one. If you don't need it for smelting, that is.

badbob454
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Cast by last lead today into ingot form another 265 lbs thats @ 850 lbs in 3 days

10 ga
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Squibload, Wally World has taken my tanks with out any questions. Some old with the 5 star valve and even older with round wheel valve. If there is a Home Depot close buy they have a 24 hr. exchange that is mechanized. Pay the fee with a credit card or with a "chip" from the store and it opens a door on the rack, put old empty tank in, if it weighs the arm down then the space next opens and you take your new tank out. No questions asked. I have 10 of the 20 # cylinders and get most filled but if they time out then I just exchange them. Never have purchased a single one. Just scrounged and exchanged whenever I get a salvaged tank. Heck when they are empty I even give them away if some needs one to exchange or fill. When I see them in the stores new but empty for $35@ I just chuckle. Best to all. 10 ga

a.squibload
08-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys, glad I didn't trade it in yet, looks like I'm headed to Wally World!
I have a propane pot already, could cut this one and make another pot for sale
but (who is it here on CB?) makes 'em for sale pretty cheap.
I have trouble finding time to smelt or cast lately so would never use an extra.

Badbob: +1 on making beer, haven't done that for a while, in a survival situation
beer could be VERY valuable!
Question is, would you trade beer for lead, or vice-versa?
Can't imagine being without either!...:drinks:

PS: Kidney stone last week, Doc says beer is bad, I said GUESS I'M GONNA DIE!!

Edit: It's D Crockett:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124520&highlight=pot

Of course I mentioned this thread to the wife, she wants me to cut it sideways
to make a BBQ grill or a fire pot for a big smoker, etc., etc...

badbob454
08-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys, glad I didn't trade it in yet, looks like I'm headed to Wally World!
I have a propane pot already, could cut this one and make another pot for sale
but (who is it here on CB?) makes 'em for sale pretty cheap.
I have trouble finding time to smelt or cast lately so would never use an extra.

Badbob: +1 on making beer, haven't done that for a while, in a survival situation
beer could be VERY valuable!
Question is, would you trade beer for lead, or vice-versa?
Can't imagine being without either!...:drinks:

PS: Kidney stone last week, Doc says beer is bad, I said GUESS I'M GONNA DIE!!

Edit: It's D Crockett:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124520&highlight=pot

Of course I mentioned this thread to the wife, she wants me to cut it sideways
to make a BBQ grill or a fire pot for a big smoker, etc., etc...

swap lead for beer ,, lead dont taste too good :lol:
kidney stone .. ouch hear they are real painfull . is beer bad for them ?
i would have thought beer good , as it flushes the kidneys hope it passes ok ;-)

Jamesconn
08-26-2011, 01:21 AM
I'd be interested in a propane pot for the right price

a.squibload
08-26-2011, 02:22 AM
swap lead for beer ,, lead dont taste too good :lol:
kidney stone .. ouch hear they are real painfull . is beer bad for them ?
i would have thought beer good , as it flushes the kidneys hope it passes ok ;-)

It's gone..:D..
Beer clarifies better if you use hard water, some brewers add gypsum or other stuff,
so I guess the extra minerals are not so good for ya.

Jamesconn, check out Crockett's thread, I don't think I could beat his offer, besides
the ol' lady wants this one. I had in mind replacing our mailbox with it but that might
be seen as a challenge!

Wonder if the mercaptan, etc., would be driven out by a couple of fires, to make it
OK for grilling food in?
Sorry BadBob, I guess I hijacked your thread!:hijack:

badbob454
08-26-2011, 10:46 AM
i just started it, let it go as i wanders all good reading a.squibload.
i use well water for my brews it is med hard and grow my own hopps.. cascade, willamet, searls , and some chez cross forget the name starts with a z wilamet and cascade are my favorite though .... bob

PbHurler
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I used to brew; but growing your own hops... that's class!

Sonnypie
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Beautiful! And very impressive!
But...
(Devils Advocate...)
Wouldn't your stash better serve you if it was in usable form?
I'm more inclined to turn anything I have into ready to load boolits. And I bag them in old shot bags a buddy gave me.
I'm just starting out myself, but I have 940 .30 cal GC and lubed, ready to load. The rejects and excess went back into the pot and will reemerge as 45's next time, until I have a bag of them ready to load.
Ingots of silver are wonderful, don't get me wrong. I envy you! :mrgreen:
But if they were ready to load wouldn't they be even mo betterer? :confused:

badbob454
08-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Beautiful! And very impressive!
But...
(Devils Advocate...)
Wouldn't your stash better serve you if it was in usable form?
I'm more inclined to turn anything I have into ready to load boolits. And I bag them in old shot bags a buddy gave me.
I'm just starting out myself, but I have 940 .30 cal GC and lubed, ready to load. The rejects and excess went back into the pot and will reemerge as 45's next time, until I have a bag of them ready to load.
Ingots of silver are wonderful, don't get me wrong. I envy you! :mrgreen:
But if they were ready to load wouldn't they be even mo betterer? :confused:

i do @ 8k rounds of 11+ different calibers loaded mostly surplus fmj stuff .. probably 10,000 lead boolits in different sizes and that dosent count the brass primers powders etc hey sonnypie in ready for a one man war, if need be .
just hope it dosent come to that , .. ps do you know how long it will take to cast 850 pounds ??? and that only 1/4 of the lead tin linotype monotype solder soft ww , etc that i have .. phew that was a ramble wasnt it ..bob
22,7.62x25,9 mak,9mm luger,38 spec,357mag,44 spec,44mag,45lc,454 casull then comes the rifles ...

a.squibload
09-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Took the old propane cylinder to Wally World today, about $18, bought that and about
$80 worth of food. Went to the car, loaded it up, moved over to the propane cage
and waited.
And waited.
15 min I called the store, "OK, we'll page somebody".
Another 10 min I called again, "OK, we'll page the manager".
Another 10 min I called again, "The manager said somebody's out there". Wrong.
I went in and found a supervisor, she paged the Outdoor Living department.
I dragged her outside by the hair, no wait, that's what I wanted to do.
She came out with me and said "I'll have to go back in to get the key".
Total wait time 50 min when she came out with the guy who was supposed to come out
in the first place. Guess he was busy.
I won't be doing that again, for $1 more I could have done it at Safeway closer to home.

They didn't mention the age of my trade-in cylinder.

Sonnypie: yeah, I like boolits better than ingots, or ammo better than boolits,
but just haven't had the time. Now I gotta clear some room in the garage for
3 more tons of wood pellet fuel, winter's comin'.
I'll get to cast again one o' these days...

Defcon-One
09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
....Wouldn't your stash better serve you if it was in usable form?....

A lot of us cast for many different calibers and styles, both rifle and handgun.

I prefer my lead in clean ingots. I can make it into what I need at the time. Nothing worse than melting down good bullets because I need more of another caliber or style and all my lead is already cast into something else. Just wait, it will happen!

I store some as bullets, a couple thousand from each mold, but most as ingots!

badbob454
09-02-2011, 01:54 AM
good thread thanks guys