PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol source in San Diego CA

oldracer
08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Well I'll ask here as I figure the bp shooters have tried everything and I am getting there too when it comes to cleaning guns and cases and such. The only thing I have not tried is Ballistol and I called some of the shops in the San Diego area and they either did not carry it or one place did not know what I was talking about??!! So far Kroil has worked really great along with a chore-boy type setup but I am always looking for new ideas.

Anyways I am not crazy about buying cleaners by mail so if anyone knows of a source in the San Diego CA area please post some info.

08-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Jee, is everyone that paranoid in SO Cal? It's not particularly hazardous. It's just a water soluble oil- been around at least 100 yrs. I think many of the auto parts stores probably have some version of a water soluble oil. I know that NAPA does. Just mix 1 part Ballistol to 5-10 parts water- not really critical as to exact ratio, shake and good to go. Some folks add a little Murphy's oil soap or dish soap for good measure. I just use Ballistol and water.

Here's a link for the less timid-
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=164428

No_1
08-24-2011, 08:04 PM
I use Ballistol mixed 50/50 with Marvel Mystery Oil for all my gun cleaning. Works great!

Tom-ADC
08-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I bought mine from Midway but it is available at the Del Mar shows. Turners might have it or El Cajon Gun Shop.

Stampede
08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Ballistol is the No. 1 brand in Europe (it's German), i like their cleaning and maintenance solvents. There is only just one product of them what i don't like and that is the Black Powder cleaning solvent. It won't work for me, the classic soap and water method is much better.

I have included a link to their (German) page.
http://www.ballistol.de/index.php?article_id=15&clang=0

Peter (Stampede)

NickSS
08-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I got mine from Midway and have been using it for nearly 10 years now. I mix it 50-50 with water and use it for cleaning black powder and corrosive primed smokeless loads. Works like a champ for both. It also works great for regular smokeless loads used straight but I prefer other solvents for that.

cajun shooter
08-25-2011, 09:33 AM
I shoot nothing but 100% BP and use Ballistol for both cleanup and protection. The best mix ratio that I have found is 2 oz of Ballistol added to 14oz of water for the making of one pint. The factory shows a 1 to 10 ratio but I found it too light.
I don't understand your hesitation about ordering Ballistol via carrier. It has to be shipped via UPS or Fed-EX as the USPS will not ship any products like chemicals.
You have missed out by not using Ballistol or Moose milk as it is called after mixing.
The Germans invented it before WW1 for the soldiers in the field as a item of equipment that would take care of many things. It is good for steel, leather, wood, and even helps with wounds. You can spray the moose milk all over your guns with out fear of it doing harm to any part. It does it all. You should buy both the spray and the 8 oz liquid for mixing. I purchase mine from a outdoors store in Alabama. They ship with UPS and I have it in two days. You do need to have other things or the shipping will be too much. Try Buffalo Arms in your area. They are good to deal with

John Boy
08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
so if anyone knows of a source in the San Diego CA area please post some info. Try a good hardware store - Home Depot - Lowes, etc
Also, bet you didn't even look on their website to order it direct ... http://www.ballistol.com/ordernow.html

sundog
08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Midway carries it.

montana_charlie
08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
So far Kroil has worked really great along with a chore-boy type setup but I am always looking for new ideas.
Kroil and Chore Boy is a recipe for removing leading from a bore.
What job are you hoping to accomplish with the Ballistol?

It is good for a variety of things when used as it comes from the can. But, there are other gun-related products which are aimed at the same uses. I won't say which is 'better' because I am just trying to be informative.

Mixed with water to form 'Moose Milk' it becomes a combination cleaner/lubricant for firearms shooting black powder.
Some say it can be used to clean fouling out of a bore after the last shot, and the residual oil will protect the steel for an extended period of time.

I found that 'overnight' is too long to expect the mixture to keep the bore free of rust.

Ballistol is a blend which (I think) includes vegetable and mineral oils. There are no soaps, solvents, or other 'cleaners'.
It is a good light weight lubricant, and a handy thing to have around the house for general use.

CM

oldracer
08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did see all the possible internet sources such as Midway, Ballistol, Firehawk and even eBay but as I said I wanted to buy a can locally as I like to support local companies as much as possible, to give it a try. I did call Turner's and that is where the young guy on the phone said he never heard of it so I let that go. I guess he didn't shoot black powder much. I did send an email to Ballistol and the reply was that they had no idea who might be carrying it as their distributor database was way out of date........

As I said, I am still experimenting with things and this is just one of many to try.

Tom-ADC
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Triple K has it,Triple K Manufacturing Co. 2222 Commercial Street San Diego, CA 92113

oldracer
08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Triple K will only sell it over the phone as their place is a "distributor" and not a retail store. I was going to get a holster from them a few years ago and had to have Ace Uniforms which is around the corner get it for me.

Tom-ADC
08-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I guess if you still want to buy locally (a noble thought) you'll have to wait until Del Mar. Or ask Ace to run next door and get you a can.
What about that little shop on Broadway between F & G?

e15cap
08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
The indoor range in Kearney Mesa used to have it. Smelled so bad I gave mine away.
Best, roger

Tom-ADC
08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
El Cajon Gun Exchange sells BP fire arms they may have it also.
Roger is right about the odor, plus after a while it turns tan/brown in the bottle. I use it outdoors not to bad then.

John Boy
08-25-2011, 11:17 PM
For those interested, here is the Ballistol MSDS contents...
* pharmaceutical white oil: CAS RN 8042-47-5; Mineral oil
* Oleic acid: CAS RN 112-80-1
* C-5 alcohols: CAS RN 78-83-1; Isobutyl alcohol
* CAS RN 137-32-6; 2-Methylbutyl Alcohol
* CAS RN 100-51-6; BENZENEMETHANOL (9CI)
* different essential oils to perfume Ballistol

As for me? Ballistol is one of the last products I would use on my firearms. There are many products better for lubing- cleaning and of importance rust protection. My product of choice is Eezox - working on the 2nd quart of it now.

cajun shooter
08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
John Boy, We are the best of friends and I use EEZOX to apply to my guns after I clean them with Ballistol. The nice thing about the Ballistol is that I carry my Moose Milk on my gun cart in a spray bottle and don't have a worry when I spray it all over my gun.
I have used the EEZOX for gun protection since you ran the sea wall test a few years back. I feel that a bottle of moose milk is cheaper and easier to use than straight EEZOX. My Ballistol in a mixed bottle of Moose Milk cost about $2 a pint, how much is a pint of EEZOX? The same thing applies when I use the Windex/Vinegar to clean my SXS of the plastic wad residue from the BP ammo. The shotguns also receive EEZOX after cleaning. Being that the OP was about Ballistol , I did not go into the use of the EEZOX. If the OP has to order his Ballistol then it would behoove him to also order the EEZOX if both products are carried.

John Boy
08-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Cajun, back in the beginning shooting black powder, I too mixed up Moose Milk with Ballistol. Then I either god lazy dragging the jug around at matches or had a mini brain wave that spent cases will live to shoot again if I just took them home and Dawn/hot water bathed them. So I stopped using Ballistol.

At the end of the Eezox test, I was 100% convinced about the rust preventative capability. When I lubed my '92 Rossi one day and was able to open and close the finger lever with my little finger (ya, it was slicked up) - Eezox was the go to lube stuff.

And I know you remember the episode with the 45-70 we bought. Using Eezox was very good for the deep cleaning needed. Further use: one water cotton ball - one Eezox cotton ball and a dry one usually gives me a clean bore. So I use it for cleaning too

Yep, I agree with you, 30+ bucks a quart is more cash than a jug of Moose Milk but ... when using Eezox no slobbering is needed, just a thin coat so the stuff goes a long ways.

PS: When I go to Ridgway for the week's shooting, I deprime the cases at the range. At the motel, the hot water bath and then turn on the double rotary
and put it in the bathroom, close the door ... running till the AM [smilie=1:

BTW, gotta another clandestine sea wall (Long Term) test running for a different purpose. Will be interesting to see the final results

cajun shooter
08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I knew we were in the same woods, just standing beside different trees.
Any test that I have seen you perform has proven to provide very good information and has always been presented with results that answer all the questions. I am waiting to hear what we have here my good friend. Later Dave