PDA

View Full Version : 50 Cal REAL boolit Q's and poll

daschnoz
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
This is my first post since about January. Our family just expanded by 2 (twins), so I've been a bit busy. Sorry for my absence and sudden reappearance with a poll and multiple questions.

I'm hoping to put some meat in the freezer this year with my rock lock. It's a 50 cal Investarms Hawken kit from Cabelas. 1:48 twist, 29" barrel.

The questions:
1. For a PRB, I run 70gr of FFFG. How should I adjust the charge for the heavier REAL boolit - up, down, how much (if anything at all)?

2. I have a tub of lube (50% beeswax, 50% crisco). Do I simply slather it into the grooves and load away? Would I be better off melting it in a pan, placing the boolits into the pan, and letting the lube harden?

3. I'm looking at the LEE R.E.A.L. Boolit molds. 250gr or 320gr?

Thanks.

white eagle
08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
my vote is heavier .......
however I use a 54 cal and the weight of the charge would also be different

Boz330
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I would think that with that twist the 320 would shoot better, but you don't need that heavy a boolit for deer. The other problem is that with a heavy boolit and heavy powder charge you will burn out your touch hole. If you have the screw in liner it isn't as big a problem. I voted for the 320 but if the 250 will shoot I think I would stay with that, easier on the gun and still plenty for whitetail. RB is plenty as long as you don't try and stretch way out there. A RB bleeds energy pretty fast past 75yd.

Bob

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I have shot the 250's i borrowed a friends mold but the twist in my bore is plenty to stabilize the 410 gr great plains conicals so why not he heavier real

i sure like the way deer fall when they are hit by the heavy conicals

1. always drop back and work up to were you are comfortable

2, slather and load away but either would work

3. if you can get samples of each from somone or heck by one of each and try them both who knows what your gun will favor either are more than enough to kill deer

my load for a 410gr was 90gr 777 , but that is in an inline , can't say i have shot anything but 3 good sized wisconsin doe with them but it sure drops them in a hurry

docone31
08-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Thats a good one.
At any rate. I like the R.E.A.L.s. I have one in .45, .50, and .54. Go with the load data supplied by Lee. It works.
I use beeswax, Crisco, and Olive Oil lube. I mush it on the lands. It sure stinks, but no leading.
I have the Traditions in .50. It hits flat at 100yds. Only issue, I have to use a plastic hammer to load it. No deformation that way. Using the Ball starter would deform the tip.
I haven't tried using a wad, but I have considered it.

southpaw
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
If you would like I have both moulds and I should have some of each cast up and could send you some. I will check and see how many of each I have. Let me know if you are interested.

Jerry Jr.

Fishman
08-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Somebody closed the poll and I can't vote.

But I would vote for the lighter one. My 1 in 38 inline won't reliably stabilize saboted bullets 300 grains and heavier. The best it will do with the 320 real is about 3" at fifty yards. The rifling is relatively shallow though