PDA

View Full Version : swaging,,,high$$$ ?

leadladen
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Back in the sixties, I used to do some swaging with my brother. Recently, I considered trying it again. That is, until I saw the price of the dies and jackets. Is there something I'm missing somewhere that can show my a way to swage AFFORDABLY?

NSP64
08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
what calibers are you wanting to swage?

I'm not old enough to remember the cost of a new car in the 60's but I heard they were around $3000.00.
A new car now will cost you $25,000.00 an increase of 800%.

wonderwolf
08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Now were just greener, we recycle fired 9mm,40S&W,45ACP,38spl and .223 cases instead of buying j4 jackets. .22rf jackets can be had for the taking and I see few lots of jackets up on ebay every once in awhile that go cheaper than they are worth.

BT Sniper
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
There have been many that have felt the same as you about the cost of swaging and unfornatly a lot of them never looked into it again.

I have been trying to change everyone's veiw about the so called high cost of swaging and show them it doesn't have to cost a lot. It does make a big differnence what bullets you are looking to make though.

In all my experience I have attempted many different calibers and I can say that making 40 or 44 cal bullets from scrap brass is by far the easiest and cheapest way to start into this hobby. I have done the math and figured even someone that has nothing, zero, not even a reloading press, could obtain everything needed for around $400. That is press, mold, lead pot, dies, etc. and that's new prices. Used prices would bring it down even more.

Now take a typical shooter that allready reloads or even casts bullets and all they need is a swage die and you are shooting bullets better then factory for the cost of a primer and a few grains of powder! Great swage dies can be found under $200.

Look around a bit. It doesn't have to cost a lot. It is a hobby and like any hobby we can spend as little or as much as we want.

A lot of bullets I make I don't even have the gun to shoot them in. This was the case with the 40 cal bullets from 9mm brass. When I realized how easy it was to make great 40 cal bullets I purchased a $300 EAA witness pistol and have never looked back!

Have you guys seen the prices for preimum factory ammo!! Over $1 a piece for most anything! The 40 cal bullets I make for next to nothing and load for 5 cents a piece look/perform as good or better then any factory offerings!

I say to anyone, swaging dosn't have to cost a lot! How much did any of us pay for the last gun we purchased? How many of us have a gun in the safe we don't shoot much? How much have most of us spent on reloading equipment? If it wasn't so much fun none of us would swage, reload, or cast at all.

I would start small with a simple bullet to make such as the 40 or 44 then you may find out it is a great hobby, there are certainly worse past times to spend your money on.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

deltaenterprizes
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
BT was a pioneer in creating jackets using cheap readily available 9 mm and 40 S&W brass for jackets like is done with 22 LR brass.

DukeInFlorida
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Read this:

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1960s.html

Wish we could go back............ Those were wonderful times.

Utah Shooter
08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
BT was a pioneer in creating jackets using cheap readily available 9 mm and 40 S&W brass for jackets like is done with 22 LR brass.

Wouldn't go that far but he has something for the swaging community.

leadladen
08-26-2011, 08:22 AM
is corbin the only source for swage dies?

BLASTER62
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Larry Blackmon & Richard Corbin, C&H and there are a few more. Brian (BT) and a couple others on this site make them to.

Hammer
08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
There is a fellow on eBay that is selling swage dies of various calibre's but I have no idea how good or bad they might be.

You can sometimes find used dies there as well and also on Gunbroker.

If you see the dies on either site - you probably won't see them for sale on this site.... and vice versa.... rules.....

CH Tool & Die also sells some dies in some calibre's, and BT can modify them to make a sturdier offering...

In large part, it depends on what you are after and how much you are willing to spend....

Patience can be your friend if you are just starting to swage. Things tend to appear fast and disappear faster.....

WELCOME aboard!

Ed

Utah Shooter
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM

'Nope. There are some good names here of those who do however. Keep reading up on the threads here and you may be able to get someone to make you some.