PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 mold for Carcano

heavycrimp
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
From what I understand, the 6.5 Kurz (Kurtz?) mold was made to drop around .269 diameter & was designed with the Carcano in mind. My questions are:

How successful was the design shooting from the Carcano?

Does anyone know of a mold for sale anywhere?

I have several Carcanos & the 91-41's that I have will shoot some respectable groups, albeit with a bit high point of impact vs. POA. I am hoping shooting boolits will lower the point of impact & provide more enjoyment by shooting what I cast. I have finally removed all vestiges of the FL GC's from the bores & am hopeful to proceed with CB's, but am hoping not to have to incur the cost of a custom mold.

Any input will be appreciated. I don't post a lot, because I know less than I can say, But by reading the content here, I can say I know more than I did.:-D Thanks to all who put in their time & effort to make this such a great site.

Heavycrimp

garandsrus
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
heavycrimp,

I have one of the molds and would be willing to send you some samples so you can try them out. Do you need them lubed, sized (.268) and gas checked? My mold is not for sale...

Send me a PM with your address and I will get them in the mail.

John

Andy_P
01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I use an RCBS mold for 270 Win which drops a GC 150gr bullet at 0.277". I size them down to 0.270" in a Lee custom lube-sizer (cost about $50).

Sizing a bullet down 0.007" is pushing it, but in my case it works great.

heavycrimp
01-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I pm'd you Andy_P

Thanks again,

Jerry

kywoodwrkr
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
And where did the collectible "6,5 oldfeller" mould fall in on all this?
Seems they were orderable with matching sizing dies.
Here we are again, wondering just what has been ordered historically and not having a clue.
Has anyone taken the time to document the various group buys?
Just wondering.
DaveP

45 2.1
01-24-2007, 08:29 AM
The 6.5 Kurtz mold is much the same in the bearing part, just shorter in the nose and lighter, as the 6.5 170 gr. mold from Midsouth. They weren't caliber specific really as both fit most of the military 6.5s out there.

Scotty
01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I've used the 6.5 Kurtz in my M91 Carcano with good results at 100yards,and it hits on with the second lowest sight seting 450 or 600 meters.I use 10 grains of SR-4759 with half a cotton ball on top.

Scotty,:coffee:

garandsrus
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
heavycrimp,

What I sent you were not Kurtz bullets based on the above picture. I bought a 6.5mm two cavity Lee mold from someone here that was a past group buy. That's what I sent you some of. I tried a search to find out what the bullet was but the search was inconclusive.

In any case, I hope the bollits work for you...

John

Buckshot
01-25-2007, 02:44 AM
http://www.fototime.com/8B8B8013CDC151A/standard.jpg

On the left is the Lyman 122gr HP single cavity design the Kurtz was taken from. #2 Is the Jumptrap 1st edition 140gr Lee custom mould (2C) done IIRC about 1998 or so. #3 is the Lyman so called "Hi Velocity" 268645 @ 152grs #4 is the Oldfeller cruise missle (~172gr) currently avail from Mid-South.

http://www.fototime.com/FC7FB74B506D8FB/standard.jpg

This is the only photo I have of the 6.5 Kurtz :-) I had cast 3 batches of the Kurtz from 3 alloy hardnesses for testing, which I've yet to do, ha! Without running out to the shop I think the hardnesses were 14, 18, and 22 bhn. As cast diameters ran .2688", .2696" and .2701". Weights were like 135, 132, and 130grs.

The Oldfeller slug would be a good one for your Carcano as it drops around .269/.270" and most Carcano's want something around that.

................Buckshot

garandsrus
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Heavycrimp,

What I sent you were "#2 Is the Jumptrap 1st edition 140gr Lee custom mould (2C) done IIRC about 1998 or so". They were sized to .268.

Thanks Buckshot!

John

heavycrimp
01-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update John.

Buckshot, that sure is a purty pile of plumbium projectiles! I am in the process of Leementing my molds so that I may be able to lower the temps to get proper fill-out without frosting. I'm still learning an awful lot from everyone here & I've been casting for several years with varying degrees of success.

Thanks to evryone for being so helpful,

Jerry

Buckshot
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
..............You can do a variation of the BruceB cyclone speed casting system with the Lee 6 cavity blocks that works well for me. Basicly it's more cooling the blocks vs cooling the sprueplate and sprue. I use the same damp pad in a shallow saucer with water for cooling. I fill the mould and just after I see the sprue shift color and harden, I swing the sprueplate.

Naturally then you dump the booits and reclose the mould. That that point I drag the bottom of the blocks across the damp pad on the way back to the pot. I run the alloy at about 800 degrees so the hot alloy fills the cavities well. Since the lead in the cavity draws in lead from the sprue as it cools, I don't usually hit the sprue on the damp pad.

If you dump slugs and see they are a bit frosty around the GC shank, wait just a bit after touching the bottom of the blocks to the pad before refilling. The cooled bottom of the blocks will pull some heat down from the sprue and then you can refill. You might want to just touch the sprue to the damp pad next time, but then go back to not touching it.

I use the same routine for iron and steel moulds too. Works really well for me.

...................Buckshot

heavycrimp
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Buckshot, The old saw of you learn something new every day sure applies here. I just got a contract on my house, so I may be a bit scarce here for a month or two while moving. I am giving up my house on 10 acres with it's own 100 yard range for 1.5 acres with a dock on the river. At least there is a public range in the National Forest within about a 15 minute drive. Our congressman luckily spends the pork barrel dollars on more worthwhile pursuits than most. They put in a really nice covered range with conrete benches, restrooms, the works. I'll still miss being able to walk out the back door 20 paces & start blatsing though. I'll keep in touch as much as possible.

John (Garandsrus)-

I received the Boolits THE NEXT DAY. They look great & I can't wait to try them. I am going to sneak enough time to try them in the next few days anyway. Thank you so much!!

Jerry

Buckshot
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
...............heavycrimp, well don't stay away long! We had 10 acres out in the sticks with horses and stuff and like you, I could walk out my back door and shoot. Had quail in the hills (about 100 yards away) and it was nice and quiet. Used to sit out back in a lawn chair in the afternoon with my 22 and snipe ground squirrels.

Due to my weekend hours we couldn't go riding much anymore and I think my wife was getting tired of everything being 8-9 miles away. We sold and moved to town. Sure took a long time to get used to the sirens and stuff.

................Buckshot

heavycrimp
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, we're moving farther from town, but it's right on the river. The people we are buying from had 'pet' rainbow trout that arrived at the dock the same time every day to be fed by hand. I guess I'll have to invest in a nice air rifle to dispatch any pests that may show up. I don't think I could take living in town. My round-trip commute to Chattanooga for work is 100 miles/day, but when I get home, it's worth the drive. ;o)