PDA

View Full Version : Mosin scope mount

plmitch
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a pair of 91/30's and need to install a scope for my wife to use on one of them. Does anyone know of a good one to use? She doesn't like the scout mounts/scope set ups and want to keep the straight bolt. Does any make a off set mount to use with a full size scope and straight bolt? Thanks

HARRYMPOPE
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
i use the advanced technology system.its ugly but solid.

plmitch
08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I looked into them but just can't sell her on one.

MtGun44
08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Refusing all the limited set of options is not going to get her a scoped rifle.
Leaving the straight bolt, about your only real options are scout and the AT.

Like it or lump it, looks like the answer. The WW2 sniper setup works, but requires
the bolt handle to be replaced with a bent one.

Personally, the scout setups work great for me, are pretty easy to install and cheap,
too.

Bill

Artful
08-24-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm with MtGun44/Bill - put the scout scope on for her and let her try it off hand ( I have on on my M38) you may need a cheek pad for the stock and I recomend a buttpad/recoil pad as well.

plmitch
08-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks everyone. She found and order a Low Profile Side Combo rail w/ Weaver rail from Kalinka Optics Warehouse. They claim that a bent bolt is not needed. We'll see how it works.

HARRYMPOPE
08-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks everyone. She found and order a Low Profile Side Combo rail w/ Weaver rail from Kalinka Optics Warehouse. They claim that a bent bolt is not needed. We'll see how it works.

I looked at these and i bet you will need to add a lace on cheek to get decent cheek weld with the offset scope.
Tell us how it works.

George

Multigunner
08-24-2011, 04:36 PM
A friend is right handed but left eye dominate, he greatly prefers scope mounts offset to the left so he can get a good sight picture while holding the rifle in much the same manner as any right eye dominate right handed shooter.

There is a method of converting the Mosin Nagant action to have the bolt handle set back to about the same position as a Mauser bolt handle.
It requires some cutting at the right rear side wall and welding of the handle to the rear of the bolt body.
I've seen photos of one such conversion used for long range match shooting with a Unertl scope mounted over bore. Not bad looking, but a radical mod.

Ivantherussian03
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I used a S&K mount. They cost 70 bucks or, but appear rock solid. I came to the board and asked the same question, lesser brands seemed to move around. I wanted it done the right 1st time.

nhopper
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Check out this link. http://youtu.be/kTWDJiJLlPg

This is a guy who mounted a scope on his Mosin. Yes, it is the scout version. But, as was mentioned, you have exceedingly few options. You can get a bent bolt from a dude on eBay. Mail yours in and he'll cut and weld it back. I have heard nothing but good things.

In all honesty, people cringe at the thought of it, but they are $100 rifles.

Of course, I have old gunsmithing books at home that talk about the "abundance" of "cheap" and "easy to modify" 1903s and M1s. Those were the days, eh? I do cringe at the thought of chopping up a nice Corona 1903. Though at one time people obviously didn't.

While you're at it, the same guy who posted the scope vid has a nice vido on non destructive modification of the trigger to both lighten it and cut out on the creep. I have yet to try this, but I do need some chip clips so that might be in the works.

Hang Fire
08-26-2011, 12:54 AM
$25.00 prebubbarized MN, reworked $15.00 scout mount, $10.00 garage sale BSA pistol scope, and made a lace up riser cheek pad. Makes for a great truck gun.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/SSC3_op_800x366.jpg

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/SSC2_op_800x311.jpg

plmitch
08-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Nice setup Hang Fire

glenkans
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I too am wanting to do the forward mounted scope but don't feel like spending more on the scope than the rifle. Too, my rifle isn't the tack driver that yours probably is.I'd like to have something in the 2-3 power range and about 50-75 dollars. Should I try to use the tip- off mount with steel 22 rings and maybe put a #10 machine bolt down through bottom ring? (tapped into sight base) Does this sound strong enough to you guys? Thanks, Glen

ilcop22
09-03-2011, 03:46 AM
You'll definitely need to build up a cheek weld for that mount. Also the mount you ordered requires a hardware kit and to drill and tap the receiver. It's not drop in; hopefully I'm just stating the obvious. IMHO the ATI mount is the best and easiest.

ilcop22
09-03-2011, 03:48 AM
I too am wanting to do the forward mounted scope but don't feel like spending more on the scope than the rifle. Too, my rifle isn't the tack driver that yours probably is.I'd like to have something in the 2-3 power range and about 50-75 dollars. Should I try to use the tip- off mount with steel 22 rings and maybe put a #10 machine bolt down through bottom ring? (tapped into sight base) Does this sound strong enough to you guys? Thanks, Glen

Unfortunately, no. The recoil is far too heavy for either a cheap scope or a cheap mount. In all honesty, you'll just be wasting your money as it won't keep zero (and will probably break) and .22 rings won't hold.

leadman
09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
The NcStar 2X7X32 pistol scope works well as a scout scope. These fall in the price range mentioned.
The Dutchman also uses these scopes on his rifles in the forward position.