PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate revolver out of the box.

subsonic
08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering what each of you think is the most accurate out of the box revolver when shooting boolits?

I bet some of these will show up:

Freedom Arms M83
Dan Wesson .44
S&W K38
S&W 29
GP100
Colt Python

And of course theres got to be somebody mention BFRs...:razz:

So in the interest of shooting the bull, what do you think?

ReloaderFred
08-23-2011, 07:18 PM
In my experience, the S&W K-38 has been the most accurate, but mine is an older one that I've had since the mid 1970's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

white eagle
08-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Bill Rugers favorite

Guesser
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
My personal experience demands that I list it as a Colt Officers Model Special!!!!
I have, also an OMT and an OMM but the OMS just seems to be a little bit "Special".

buck1
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
yep FA 83!

stubshaft
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
FA83 by a bunch!

Kraschenbirn
08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Most accurate that I've ever owned and, therefore, can personnally vouch for is a S&W 586-2 followed, closely, by another S&W, a 1955 Target in .45 ACP.

Bill

uscra112
08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
My personal experience demands that I list it as a Colt Officers Model Special!!!!

Ditto. Mine is pre WW2, totally original, and nothing else I have can touch it. Just wish there were some sort of match format around here where I could use it.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
In my experience with target revolvers, the best I have come across have been the S&W K-38's, the older M29's in 44 Mag, and the legendary Colt Python. That refers to "out of the box" and no tinkering with the triggers or the innerds in any way. With the right loadings and in the hands of a competent marksman, these revolvers will group excellently. If one starts with "tuning" them then accuracy can be phenomenal.
There are without doubt a few others that have performed well over the years and all the revolvers that meet this criteria are an absolute joy to own and shoot. LLS

smoked turkey
08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
S&W 52 with a 38 wad cutter over about 3.5 gr BE for me. Sorry I now realize this was for a revolver not an auto pistol. Sorry.

Reg
08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Going to take some flack on this one for sure but the most accurate pistol I own or have owned ( I have owned a few ) is a clunky , old Herters .401 Power Mag. Out of the box and with very mild loads only it will consistantly out shoot any thing I have ever owned or shot.
Nope, its not for sale.

:cbpour:

August
08-24-2011, 01:00 AM
US Firearms SA in 38-40. Both of 'em shoot exactly to point of aim and make teeny, tiny groups.

Amazing quality.

got_lead?
08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Most M52's think they're revolvers, mine does. I never could get it to shoot ACP's.

Shooter6br
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Smith 657 in 41 mag of course. Then my Mod 25-2 in 45ACP ( 1983 date) Rugers arent bad either.

NoZombies
08-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Every K-38 I've ever shot has been amazing. Speaking of that, I think I need another one.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
ive got two fa guns and many full blown customs with match barrels and none shoot as well as the 610 smith i had. Id say of all the guns ive had N frame smiths in 44mag too have been right up there with the best.

casterofboolits
08-24-2011, 09:55 AM
S&w K-38, 6".

bobthenailer
08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I have several FA 83 and S&W revolvers all are capeable of shooting 1 1/2 at 50 yards from a bench with a scope, with cast bullets . but i would have to give FA my vote as ive shot many 3/4 to 1/2 inch groupes at 50 yards with them ! ive never done it with my S&W revolvers.
but a 1 1/2 is at 50 yards is still pretty good ! and accepitable to me.
As for the other choices ! ive never owned any of them to be able to give a opinion

pdawg_shooter
08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Best ever for me is a 4" Colt Python, by a wide margin.

cajun shooter
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
That is the most argumentative post that one could post. In all my years of shooting any of the listed guns could win on a certain day with the correct ammo, weather conditions, and shooter.
It is a question that good take years to prove or disapprove and then the final answer that was deemed correct would not be the same if any of the variables were changed.
While working as a police instructor/armorer I have seen many guns deemed impossible to hit with. That very gun could be picked up by a skilled person and hit the center with each fired round.
I am in no way trying to spoil your fun but lets start another poll on one of the automotive forums and ask which is the best truck, Chevrolet, Dodge Ford, or Toyota?
Have fun and please print your results. Later David

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I have an older (mid 70s) Mod 57 that drives a .411 boolit pretty straight for me,
I bought it from a collector who was unloading his collection a few years ago,
it looked unfired to my eyes.
Jon

Silver Jack Hammer
08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I've purchased 27 revolvers in 27 years and keep my targets in 3-ring binders. The most accurate revolver I've owned was a 3rd generation Colt SAA 7 1/2" barrel in .357. I've owned a S&W 1950 .45 ACP and and old S&W Model 29, neither were that accurate for me. I've owned several other Model 29's and they shot OK but that's all. I've never owned a S&W 657 or 586, never a FA or Python. I'm looking at the S&W 657. The most accurate pistol I've owned was a Sig 226, but shooting it about as exciting as kissing your own sister.

subsonic
08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
That is the most argumentative post that one could post.

I don't think so. Nobody is crapping in the thread yet. So let's not start now.

:D

This is supposed to be a friendly thread just to spark conversation, not arguments.

44man
08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
ANY MAKE IF BUILT RIGHT! [smilie=s: It is the luck of the draw and is the percentage of good to bad in the end.
I have issues with every make and every make can be accurate or not.
It is why I sell off those with a big problem. It is why when working on revolvers, some are exceptional and others are scrap no matter who made the gun.
Lets say you buy 100 guns from one maker, all the same. 50% are super. The next 100 from another will have 80% super and the next 100%. What would you buy every time?
It is why I said to buy 10 Dan Wesson revolvers at their bad time, find a good one and sell the rest.
Dan Wesson made super, super accurate guns at different points but management always ruined things and there is where the problems start.
It is not the gun, it is management and how much they can save and make. Use one cutter for 10,000 guns will save a few thousand.
Using every barrel will save thousands. It goes bang and the general public has no idea.
I look at it this way. A company that makes screws has thousands fall on the floor. They are swept up and scrapped even though there is nothing wrong with them. That adds to the cost of the others.
If you measure and toss bad barrels, that adds to the cost of the rest. Less profit!
Over size or undersize revolver throats is a huge loss if tossed.
Management, the boss. I know, I worked for UAL and had the boss hold off a few hundred bags to get a plane out on time because they arrived too late. Passengers had no luggage at destination and it cost a fortune to send the bags. Not one single passenger would object to a delay to get their bags.
Fly to Africa and your rifle does not show up for a week! :veryconfu
Do you not see it is management and no company is immune if management changes?

Frank
08-24-2011, 11:46 AM
cajun shooter:

I agree. Results and load! What you did and how you did it. What you have done. Show us your work. Anybody can say anything, but I don't believe. I need to see with my own eyes! [smilie=l:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=4171

missionary5155
08-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Greetings
My Dan Wesson caliber.41 magnum with a 8" barrel. Bought it in 1983 and won the IllInois State AAA Sillywet revolver with it. All I needed to do was turn the barrel to within .001 of the cylinder and tighten the barrel nut. 210 grainers with a good dose of 296. Creedmore style hold and that revolver will do rifle groups out to 200 meters. Most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Still have it also and will never get rid of it.
Mike in Peru

MGySgt
08-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I will catch flack but -

Model 28-2 with 6 in barrel - factory sights - one ragged hole at 25 and 1.5-2 at 50. Shot PPC with it in the factory gun class.

Bought that revolver about 1980. Shoots heavy loaded 38's and 357's just about the same.

I still have it and bought another one a few years ago at a gun show - it don't shoot as well as the one from 1980! (Yes they are both 28-2's)

pdawg_shooter
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
That is the most argumentative post that one could post. In all my years of shooting any of the listed guns could win on a certain day with the correct ammo, weather conditions, and shooter.
It is a question that good take years to prove or disapprove and then the final answer that was deemed correct would not be the same if any of the variables were changed.
While working as a police instructor/armorer I have seen many guns deemed impossible to hit with. That very gun could be picked up by a skilled person and hit the center with each fired round.
I am in no way trying to spoil your fun but lets start another poll on one of the automotive forums and ask which is the best truck, Chevrolet, Dodge Ford, or Toyota?

I am just going by the firearms I have owned. I can hit further and more consistently with the 4" Python.

rmcc
08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
1982 Dan Wesson 44 VH!!! It is by far the most accurate I own or have personally ever shot! I know there are probably some single actions that would or could be more accurate, but for an out of the box ..... I don't think you could go wrong. That many Silhouette shooters wouldn't buy them if they weren't that good.

Rich

Silver Jack Hammer
08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I won 2nd place in NRA Long Range Silhoutte 1995 with a Ruger Super Redhawk. I won the Super Redhawk in a police match with a Security-Six 6". I'm very proud of getting 5 shots in 5" at 100 yards with my Colt SAA .44 Special with 100% Linotype cast RCBS 44-250-K, but that took a lot of work. Those FA look like like great guns and Smith and Wesson is making great guns, I've toured the S&W factory. I think it was Dick Metcalf that was getting sub minute of angle groups with is scoped 657, the S&W does cost less than a FA. I think this is a great post.

dale2242
08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I was at the recent IHMSA Western Championshipsas a spectator.
The only gun that was being used in Big Bore revolver was Freedom Arms.
Handgun metalic silhouettes is very demanding.
Seems a logical conclusion that the FA was the best.
Better have a fat wallet when you buy one.....dale

raisinriverron
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
FA83, followed by my Ruger .357 flattops. After that, my Accusport Ruger Bisley in .45colt/.45acp.

rintinglen
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I have two Colt Pythons, I have had 2 others, I like my S&W 14-3, and the Ruger 44 Special BH I just got is the first truly special 44 Special I've ever owned. But Freedom Arms made some amazing guns back inthe late 80s. No other stock revolver that I have seen could match them--though given that they cost half again what a Python did, they should.

EDK
08-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Smith & Wesson.

Every K-22 I've had over the past 40 years was superb out of the box...and a trigger job made them even better. I've been trying to buy back the last one I sold at double the price and no luck so far. The new 617 six inch is good, but a trigger job is badly needed.

A six shot 627 from the 90s is a jewel also. Looks like a 629 Classic and "shoots like a rifle." It doesn't get shot much, but it ain't going anywhere either.

I had a 5 inch 610 from the early 90s also. First twelve shots at 25 yards...with lead boolits....cut down a two inch tree behind the target. It's long gone since I got into cowboy action shooting.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

shotstring
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Over the last 40 years, I have owned probably 150 revolvers. There were only a couple that were capable of shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards, but surprisingly one of them was a 2" nickel plated S & W mdl 49. It was simply unbelievable from such a small gun with a short barrel, but it would outshoot every other revolver I owned at the time.

The other guns than ran in this one's company were a Colt Officers Model Match in 38 and a S & W mdl 14.

felix
08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Pure luck to get a really accurate gun out of the box. Even BR rifles can have their accuracy problems from the "factory" unless proven by the maker before sending them out. Probable cause is the expansion-contraction of the barrel metallurgy as well as its grain structure per se on an individual gun. Very seldom are the accuracy errors due to machining. ... felix

NickSS
08-25-2011, 05:08 AM
I have owned a bunch of good revolvers that shot well but as far as best it would have to be the Colt Python 6 inch I had followed at a really close second by a Colt Dimondback 4" 38. I have and had others that were nearly as good but those two were the cream of the crop.

44man
08-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Exactly what I meant. I had a model 27 that I was able to hit 1" targets at 100 from prone. Had many 29's that would do 1/2" at 50 meters.
One of the silly, most accurate revolvers I ever had was the Ruger .357 max.
But every maker can turn out a bad one. Had a K22 and a K38 that were so unreal it is hard to explain but I have shot many more that are not even close.
Even a super expensive custom gun can be off. Send your gun off for thousands in work to find an out of box Ruger will beat it is a bad feeling.
I even shot a fantastic bunch of groups at 50 yards with a Taurus .44.
It can't be predicted! [smilie=s:

white eagle
08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
are these groups you all speak of "having a good day"
or are they consistently shot as such ?

Whitworth
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Having a good day means the revolver is capable of delivering great accuracy -- JMHO!

Silver Jack Hammer
08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
The most accurate revolver I have ever fired was a buddy's Clement's custom S&W Model 28 converted to .44 Special. My buddy is a gunsmith and had a safe queen that Clement's wanted, so he acquired this custom revolver through trade, otherwise my buddy said he would never be able to afford such a gun.

I assume we are talking about accuracy downrange, say at least 50 yards or so. I also shoot at multiple close targets fast. I shoot Colt SAA's and even though 5 of my Colt's are 4 3/4" bbl's I can hit better with this one Colt than I can the other 4. Oddly enough I can hit better with this one short barrel Colt than I can two others that have 7 1/2" bbls. I believe it is because of the nice trigger. I mention this because of the 4" Python comments. I can't believe a 4" Python could compete with a FA 83 on a IHMSA course, but a 4" Python in the right hands would be just the medicine in a dynamic need to hit situation.

I quit bench resting pistols, find no value in it. It's all two hand hold, Keith sitting position or Creedmore now. That's how pistols are used.

Recently I was shooting my .357 Colt SAA 7 1/2" at 12 inch steel plates at 50 yards and could not miss. I was thinking I was real good, then the sun dropped below the tree line and couldn't hit a thing.

44man
08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
It will be consistent, and if I shake, hits can be called. Vision is a problem as are shakes, but the gun has to shoot to the sights.

azchisum
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
S&W model 19-3 target hammer and trigger. First gun I ever bought..

got_lead?
08-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Honestly, just about all of them. Most revolvers shoot pretty darn tight right out of the box. Most Smiths and Colts will shoot 1" at 25, many Rugers will do the same.

GP100man
08-26-2011, 07:01 AM
I have a GP100 that the first shots were 8 out of 12 were in a 3" orange dot at 75` & I`m not that good of a shot , it`s home to stay !!!

I forget the model # but a S&W I owned in 41mag when younger , I swear you could shoot north & it`d hit the 10 ring south , it was the only smith that actually fit my hand .

Feel & comfort play a big part in shootability , especially with handguns , wheelies or sliders !!!

Silver Jack Hammer
08-27-2011, 02:11 AM
I've heard FA .22's get MOA accuracy right out of the box.

44man
08-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I've heard FA .22's get MOA accuracy right out of the box.
That they do! It just might be the best .22 revolver ever made, even better then the K22. I have shot many Ruger .22 revolvers and none were good.
The hardest caliber to make accurate in a revolver has to be the .22.

pdawg_shooter
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
The most accurate revolver I have ever fired was a buddy's Clement's custom S&W Model 28 converted to .44 Special. My buddy is a gunsmith and had a safe queen that Clement's wanted, so he acquired this custom revolver through trade, otherwise my buddy said he would never be able to afford such a gun.

I assume we are talking about accuracy downrange, say at least 50 yards or so. I also shoot at multiple close targets fast. I shoot Colt SAA's and even though 5 of my Colt's are 4 3/4" bbl's I can hit better with this one Colt than I can the other 4. Oddly enough I can hit better with this one short barrel Colt than I can two others that have 7 1/2" bbls. I believe it is because of the nice trigger. I mention this because of the 4" Python comments. I can't believe a 4" Python could compete with a FA 83 on a IHMSA course, but a 4" Python in the right hands would be just the medicine in a dynamic need to hit situation.

I quit bench resting pistols, find no value in it. It's all two hand hold, Keith sitting position or Creedmore now. That's how pistols are used.

Recently I was shooting my .357 Colt SAA 7 1/2" at 12 inch steel plates at 50 yards and could not miss. I was thinking I was real good, then the sun dropped below the tree line and couldn't hit a thing.

I don't bench test handguns either. I rate the 4" Python as MY best simply I can hit more, at longer ranges with it than any thing else I own. This includes a Model 29 6". No scopes on any of my handguns. When pulling down on a feral cat or running coyote the Colt works best for me.

FN in MT
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Have had several CONSISTENTLY accurate revolvers...

6" 1960's Colt Python with wadcutters, same for a few 6" K-38's over the years.

S&W Performance Center Lt Wt Hunter , in .41 magnum. If I can keep up my end of the bargain...all shots at 25 yds SHOULD touch, with my 210 gr cast /7.0 of Unique field load.

FA M-83 with the .45 Colt cyl installed. Another "all shots should touch" at 25 yds gun. And sub 3" at 50 yd groups.

Also have a Wilson Combat 5" 1911 that has been scary accurate right out of the box.

FN in MT

smkummer
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I believe Dean Grennel said it best when testing a bunch of revolvers 30 years ago for one of his "Pistol & Revolver Digest", REVOLVERS have personality! The python he was using that day didn't do any better than the Smiths and was outshot by a Ruger. I am a Colt collector and any of my officer models (pre-war, special, match and even a MKIII OMM) will shoot very well. My Pythons (6 in. and 8 in. hunter) shoot as well. It is almost cheating with a 8 in. Scoped Python. Both of my Colt SAA 45(7 1/2 and 12 in. Buntline) clang a 16 in. steel plate at 100 yards about 90% of the time with my reloads. The only autos that I own that can keep up are my series 70 Gold Cup and Match target woodsman 22.

ihmsakiwi
09-04-2011, 04:03 AM
F.A. 83 no question.

Babalooie
09-04-2011, 06:09 AM
I had a Smith 686 with a 6" barrel that used to make me look good.

David LaPell
09-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I respectfully would like to add the Smith Model 27 into this field. It was the most accurate revolver I owned when I had my 5-inch, and My Outdoorsman .38-44 with correct handloads is right behind it. From the list however, I recall my first Model 29 with a 6-inch barrel and how accurate that gun was.

Doug Bowser
09-04-2011, 09:49 AM
S&W K38 Model 14
I also have a 5" Model 10 .38 that is a close second to the Model 14.

Had a Colt Gold Cup once. It never shot any better than a Government Model.

Doug

keyhole
09-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Most accurate for me is a toss-up between K-38 bought new in '72 and M29 6 1/2" bought in '74. Both are outstanding. The M29 using 429421 has shot some amazing groups for me.

Whitworth
09-04-2011, 11:06 AM
The most accurate revolver out of the box that I have owned is my BFR in .500 JRH. It will consistently shoot under an inch at 50 yards if I do my part. bfrshooter shot a 3-shot group with it that was a 1/4-inch at 50 yards. It is scary accurate.

softpoint
09-04-2011, 11:58 AM
FA, model 83

Frank
09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Here's a mighty good Freedom. Can't beat that quality.

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_slideshow/imported_images/articles/72/976/GAdefining_accuracy200A.jpg

John Ross
09-06-2011, 08:53 AM
From my experience, and if you are talking about the raw accuracy of the gun, and NOT how well you can shoot it, I would put the FA revolvers with their single action design and line-bored cylinders at the very top of the list. I have yet to see one that wasn't superb.

Next in line would be current production S&W magnum revolvers, with the nod going to the X-frames. With modern CNC equipment, tool wear compensation, etc., current Smiths are more consistent, have better tolerances, and better bore/throat dimensions than any guns that factory has ever made. Scoped and off sandbags, two to three MOA are the rule.

As others have pointed out, buy 100 identical guns and you'll get a variation in how well they shoot, particularly if the guns were made under different management. In the past, this variation could be substantial. Now, much less so, at least from the top manufacturers. When my batch of JR/PC .500 guns was delivered, I pulled five at random from the shipment and could not detect a difference in accuracy. All shot groups averaging 2 1/4" at 100 yards with ammo of proven quality. This is scoped and off sandbags, of course.

YMMV.

Rodfac
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I've had outstanding accuracy from two S&W M-29's, both would shoot into 1-1/2" @ 25 yds with hand loads. Heavy, but great hunting and range guns, one had a 6" barrel, the other was a Classic with a 6-1/2" barrel. Rod