PDA

View Full Version : shooting out leading

Rio Grande
08-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I've used jacketed bullets to scrub leading from a barrel, just shot them though it, works well. Mild to moderate leading, after brushing it out as best as I could.
I've heard others tell me they do it also.
Is this safe? Does it damage the barrel?
Your opinions please!

Old Caster
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
One of the best ways to remove lead from a barrel is to shoot slow (600fps or so) bullets as close to pure lead you can find. In a 38 this is a HBWC bullet. Swaged of any kind are usually fairly soft and fit in this same catagory.

williamwaco
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I've heard others tell me they do it also.
Is this safe? Does it damage the barrel?
Your opinions please!

Yup, I have done it for many years, It works well. It does not damage the barrel. It occasionally leaves a thin film you need to clean out conventionally. It always leaves conventional fouling you need to clean. Carbon etc.

Old Caster's suggestion also works well.

tek4260
08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
About 3 passes with an old brush wrapped in Chore Boy copper scrubber. No worries of barrel damage.

HammerMTB
08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
As long as it is a moderate amount of leading, a jacketed or even a GC boo will do the job fine. No problems I have ever seen, and I have done it many times.

EDK
08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
A RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 boolit, lubed with the ALOX version of your choice, gas checked and lubed per RANCH DOG's tutorials, is what I use to de-lead the barrels of my assortment of 44 magnum VAQUEROS. Six rounds at the end of a shooting session leaves the bore clean. I've went to BH 10 for my mid range 44 loads, which also helps. Current loads are 7.5 of HERCO with the MIHEC 503 or the OWBM version of 429352...just starting with the MIHEC hollow base 44 wadcutter.

I've got the usual RUGER "thread choke" in most of the guns and need to fire lap all of them. In the interim, I dab 320 grit clover in the forcing cone with a Q-tip before each shooting session. I do 24 to 30 rounds on each of two VAQUEROS daily...the last six rounds are the RANCH DOGs. The same alloy doesn't lead in my 357 Original Size VAQUEROS, using an assortment of 158 to 180 grain boolits and 5.0 of TITEGROUP or MIHEC hollow base 38 wadcutter and 3.0 of TITEGROUP.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
ive shot jacketed bullets to clean lead for years without a problem. Gas checked bullets work too

bobthenailer
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Most of my handguns dont really lead enough to be worried about but i usually shoot 2 or 3 gas checked bullets after im done shooting to make sure and use a bore snake to clean the bore. thats it! i cant remember the last time i used bore solvent in my handgun barrels.