PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 had a good morning!

Rangefinder
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I got a scout scope put on my Mosin finally since my boy wanted to use it for hunting this year. Bore sighted it yesterday, papered it today with some light loads so as not to drive the neighbors nuts with full power loads over lunch. I gotta say, the last group after getting things worked in made me really happy!

Yes, there are 10 rounds through there! I might not be posting the 100yd. target when I get it over to a neighbors bench, but this 50yd target resting over a chair is enough to make me a little warm and fuzzy.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6763.jpg

Lee 312-160-2R sized at .311 and finishing at 173gr with a Hornaday CG over 13gr. Red Dot with LLA, this is my standard plinking load.

Ben
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Nothing wrong with that.......Very Impressive.

That load would also put a Deer on the ground.

Ben

Larry Gibson
08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Lots of potential there:cbpour:

Larry Gibson

Phat Man Mike
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM
looks good to me! :)

Rangefinder
08-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Now I gotta see how it likes the new version of that boolit since I finished the mold mod last night and freed up a little brass this morning... :D

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF6762.jpg
Finishes as 161gr. with a 1/8 dia. HP cavity set just above the top of the front band...

Buckshot
08-24-2011, 02:09 AM
..............I need another M91/30 like a submarine needs a screen door, but I see in today's mail Big 5 Sporting goods has the re-furbed M91/30's with all the stinky do-dads on sale for $99.

................Buckshot

indymadcaster
08-24-2011, 06:12 AM
How did you mod your mold? Pics of the mold? Heck might as well hunt with that load!

Rangefinder
08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Indymadcaster>> Here's the writeup I did a while ago on HP'ing a mold. Enjoy!

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123677

I need another M91/30 like a submarine needs a screen door, but I see in today's mail Big 5 Sporting goods has the re-furbed M91/30's with all the stinky do-dads on sale for $99.

Buckshot>>You and I would probably get into worlds of trouble together... :D

JeffHolt
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a 43 Izzy that I mounted a scout scope on. It is shooting about 2 inches high at 100yds. Windage is dead nuts on and I mean hitting the verical line on the target.

I recently bought a 33 Tula 91/30 in very nice condition all matching #s including a matching #ed bayonet. Need to knock the front sight pin over a tad. I also have a 42 izzy all matching #s strong bore very clean that has a beautifully crisp, easy trigger and shoots well. Also have an antique receiver M-39 Finn variant- one of the first 20,000 made.
If I could only afford a true 91/30 Sniper and a 91 Dragoon I would pretty much have a decent Mosin collection. For some exceptional 91/30s, checkout Classic Arms Inc., in NC.
I paid the xtra 10 bucks for a hand pick on my 33 Tula.

My hope has been to dial in at 100yds what you have accompished on your 50 yd target. I don't know if it can be done but you sir, have provided some very much appreciated inspiration.
BTW, I have been shooting Mil spec Russian steel cased ammo.

Regards,
Jeff

Rangefinder
08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
My hope has been to dial in at 100yds what you have accompished on your 50 yd target. I don't know if it can be done but you sir, have provided some very much appreciated inspiration.
BTW, I have been shooting Mil spec Russian steel cased ammo.

Mine, too. My overall goal is to turn this into a distance rifle. I shoot 1000M with my custom Remingtons, but my goal is to work backwards through the rifle world, this one being my next challenge. With my match-grade ammo I have no doubt it will produce now if I can get grouping like this from cast that I really wasn't the least bit picky about.

303Guy
08-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Only one 'flyer' out of ten shots! :wink: Wow! :2_high5:That is awesome!

That's a beautiful boolit you have there.

Rangefinder
08-25-2011, 09:12 AM
303guy>> actually I think there's two stacked in there. But still satisfying. ;)

EMC45
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Excellent grouping! I would hunt with that and be just fine with it!

TomBulls
08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Nothing wrong with that.......Very Impressive.

That load would also put a Deer on the ground.

Ben

Not with 13gr of Red Dot, and not at 100+ yards. Even at 50 yards I wouldn't try it only for the fact that I wouldn't want to wound an animal and lose it somewhere. There is no way that 13gr of Red Dot can propel the bullet at high enough velocity to cleanly kill a deer.

Ben
08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
It isn't the arrow, it is the indian behind the arrow.

Rangefinder
08-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Not with 13gr of Red Dot, and not at 100+ yards. Even at 50 yards I wouldn't try it only for the fact that I wouldn't want to wound an animal and lose it somewhere. There is no way that 13gr of Red Dot can propel the bullet at high enough velocity to cleanly kill a deer.
Not to start an argument with you Tom--maybe YOU wouldn't, but I'd have no trouble. I also hunt ELK with a Remi 6mm. For the record to date, I've never had to track one more than 20 yards from where I plugged it (not much tracking there, as you might guess they have all been DRT by a terribly under-powered bullet and load). The 10" of penetration into seasoned pine from a pathetic 13gr seems to say the depth is plenty for reach into a vital chest shot on any deer I've ever encountered. HOWEVER, since you're concerned, you might want to notice I mentioned I dialed the scope that far on my PLINKER load--not the full-house hunting load, which clocks at 2200fps. Lets not get too carried away with arm-chair quarterbacking. ;)

nhopper
09-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Mine, too. My overall goal is to turn this into a distance rifle. I shoot 1000M with my custom Remingtons, but my goal is to work backwards through the rifle world, this one being my next challenge. With my match-grade ammo I have no doubt it will produce now if I can get grouping like this from cast that I really wasn't the least bit picky about.

Have you seen the videos on YouTube of the guy shooting 700+ yards with his Mosin? It's fairly impressive. This is with a 4x PU scope.

There are a whole bunch of the the high-end Finnish target rifles for sale now. They run about $900+ though. There's nothing stock about them except the receiver. I've even seen some that are pre-1898 so they don't even need an FFL. Tempting to buy, but good luck convincing my wife on that.

I have seen the true Finnish two stage triggers from the M39 that are basically a drop in for the Mosin go for about $35 on some forums. Gently shim the seer spring screw, put a return spring on the trigger and you can lighten the trigger pull quite a bit. With a bit of polishing, you'd hardly think it was a mosin trigger. I did this to mine a few days ago. This stuff is all over the internet, so I don't want to claim any specialized knowledge. I just love these guns and love that round.

Sellier and Belloit sold a "match grade" 7.62x54 ammo that you can find on clearance from Midway for $25 / 20. Boxer primed brass. You can find some of that Soviet surplus 7N1 or 7N14 "sniper" ammo designed for the SVD primarily. Most of it is at gun shows, and you have to be careful since it is impossible to distinguish this ammo from normal com-block copper washed stuff unless you see it in an intact package. I'm guessing way more is for sale than should be possible given how much of a mystique is has.

Long and short, awesome grouping. Good luck with the rifle,.

plmitch
09-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Rangefinder, that HP boolit is very sharp looking. You mod the mold for this yourself?

Rangefinder
09-06-2011, 01:12 AM
nhopper>> Yup, distance is an obsession of mine. I do 1000M on out to 1500M with my Remi's (6mm and 7mm Mag respectively). But over time it's gotten almost boring with them, so it's become my goal to do it with less and less--so I'm working backwards now through the decades. Eventually I want to end up with a nice Shilo dinging the Buffalo Gong at 1500+ with a 4-500gr Paper Patched chunk of lead. But that's gonna have to wait till I work my way back a ways--the Mosin is the current hurdle, to see how far I can stretch it.

plmitch>> yes, that's my mod. BUT, it no longer exists since I modded it again. ;) No rest for the wicked--I got to looking and decided I wanted more of a bore-rider out of it with a bit more of an opening so I could put the flat-point pin in it and patch it up to use in my .32 Winchester for an alternate PP load. I haven't had time to post new photos yet, but the plat-point looks like a real game-getter and the new HP is flipping scary.

Rangefinder
09-10-2011, 06:16 PM
So I finally got to run a couple test loads with the new boolit. The new version finishes at 180gr. as a flat-point and 160gr. as a Hollow-point according to how I have the pin depth currently. The test media was 3" of soaked phone book with a 3/4" oak plank in the middle to simulate bone and then 24" worth of water jug for a chest cavity depth full of lungs. Both penetrated completely through and were caught by a pine stump. The HP would do a real number on deer--and I'm really thinking about developing the FP into an elk load now. So far it's proving really promising.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF7023.jpg

MtGun44
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Hard to complain about that performance. I believe that when well placed, they would
do the job just fine.

Bill

plmitch
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Those both look great. I would love to have a mold to make HP's like that.

Three44s
09-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Awesome!!!

When the dust settled ............ I had bought five Mosin rifles ............. I figured that the law of averages would give me two or maybe three shooters out of five ..............

Well ............... I only ended up with five out of five! ........ LOL!

Viva mosins!

Three 44s