PDA

View Full Version : Boy, now that was interesting

Moonie
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Rocking and rolling on the fourth floor of a building in Winston-Salem NC 15 minutes ago, 5.8 earthquake outside of Richmond VA...

Down South
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
WOW!!!!! Glad it wasn't worse.

gnoahhh
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Rocked and rolled here in Annapolis too. Fluorescent lights swayed to the limit of their 2ft. chains, stuff fell off of a shelve. Kind of scary to be honest with you!

Wayne Smith
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Yup, same here in Hampton Roads. LOML says preliminary information is 5.8 centered between Charlottesville and Richmond. Needs three spearately located sisemic (sp) stations to confirm location, depth and strength. I'm on the ground floor and felt two separate shocks. LOML tells me that it was felt as far north as Boston.

1Shirt
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Wanna bet Obozo will use the quake as another excuse for the economy!
1Shirt!:coffee:

rbertalotto
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Felt it all the way up here in Boston. Building shook for 30 seconds. My monitor was shaking on its arm mount! My first "felt" earthquake..........

So, Yesterday Colorado had the biggest EQ in its history and three or four days ago South Dakota had its biggest EQ.....And now the eastcoast has the biggest EQ in 100 years.

Could be the Mighty Yellowstone is getting ready to play?

phaessler
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Felt it here I guess, south of Roanoke VA, about 100 miles from the "center", funny thing was, stuff of the shelves inside the house, and things knoced over but , was digging fence posts outside and didnt feel a thing....

Pete

9.3X62AL
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Felt it all the way up here in Boston. Building shook for 30 seconds. My monitor was shaking on its arm mount! My first "felt" earthquake..........

So, Yesterday Colorado had the biggest EQ in its history and three or four days ago South Dakota had its biggest EQ.....And now the eastcoast has the biggest EQ in 100 years.

Could be the Mighty Yellowstone is getting ready to play?

Sure hope not!

The Shotcallers at DC USGS are saying that today's temblor is unrelated to the CO event. Also, no tsunami predicted for Martha's Vineyard. (I'll leave that one lay.....). Quakes into the 4.5-5.0 Richter Scale are the ones Californians actually start noticing when they occur, so the East Coast got a good taste of California Living without having to spring for airfare--or pick up a recent copy of PRAVDA (L.A. Times or SFO Chronicle).

Recluse
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I was hoping the epicenter was at 1600 Pennsylvania with aftershocks at Martha's Vineyard. . .

Just can't win. [smilie=b:

:coffee:

mold maker
08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Darn,,, and I missed it,,, Thank God.

Trey45
08-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I heard the evacuated the White House due to the earthquake. Now all we need is for someone to change the locks!

Wayne Smith
08-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I heard the evacuated the White House due to the earthquake. Now all we need is for someone to change the locks!

Evacuated! It was over before I had a chance to move!

bowfin
08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
It seems to be making all the news bulletins.

Any damage or injuries, or is it all much ado about nothing?

hardcase54
08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I was outside cutting grass, did not know til I came inside. Kids called from Canada, WV , and CA to check on the old guy.

JeffinNZ
08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Speaking as the reluctant recipient of just shy of 12 months of earthquakes my heart goes out to you. Not much fun ah?

dragonrider
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I work in Worcester, Ma. supposedly happened about 10 minuits before I left work, didn't feel it, heard about it on the radio on my way home, a lot of people calling the radio station saying they felt it. Mostly people in the upper floors of tall buildings noticed it, few on the ground felt anything.

This is the one mentioned
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/se082311a.php

There were two other prior to that one, a 2.2 and a 2.5, unfelt by anyone.

Springfield
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Now you guys have earthquakes AND humid weather, AND snow in the winter. Think I'll stay here.

shooter93
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
We do get them here time to time but generally not life threatening for our terrain. Not much bothers the hardy Appalachians...a tremor like this does mix up the sediment in our stills a bit and tsunamis?....we surf those for fun.....smiles.

phaessler
08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Now you guys have earthquakes AND humid weather, AND snow in the winter. Think I'll stay here.

Ha Ha ... thats fine , we still have wheel weights, and not all of us Appalachian Americans get snow ;)

largom
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Was in the field mowing with the bush-hog mower, didn't feel a thing. Wife came out and told me. Went to the house and checked the gun safe [walk in ] electric and plumbing. Everything fine, went back to mowing.

Larry

P.K.
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Breaking News: it's just been established by the administration that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure fault line, apparently known as "Bush's Fault".

(Got that today.....Wonder if he will try to place blame.....)

Southern Son
08-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Wanna bet Obozo will use the quake as another excuse for the economy!
1Shirt!:coffee:

If he was an Australian Politician he would claim that he managed to stop it, and without his intervention, things would have been much worse and the quake last much longer!:kidding:

Wayne Smith
08-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Evacuated! It was over before I had a chance to move!

Guess I wasn't thinking. LOML reminded me that it was greatly attenuated here as we are on the coastal plain and off the bedrock.

Harter66
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm sure glad alls well for you guys. EQs back to back w/hurricanes has to be rough.

I wonder did the storm surge cancel out the tsunami?

We've had our share in June, some 400 at 4+. There were actually worries about lava flows.

I must add"way to shake up DC ! Now if we could just wash down the streets."

Hip's Ax
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
"VIRGINIA QUAKE~~BREAKING NEWS!!!
The USGS has determined that the epicenter of the Va earthquake was in a graveyard just outside of DC. The cause appears to be all of our Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves"

300winmag
08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Was in the field mowing with the bush-hog mower, didn't feel a thing. Wife came out and told me. Went to the house and checked the gun safe [walk in ] electric and plumbing. Everything fine, went back to mowing.

Larry
Checked the gun safe first, now thats a man at heart.

Sensai
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
The White House has sent out a news release that there was a 5.8 earthquake along the Bush's Fault!:roll:

Trey45
08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
The damage was horrific.

Daywalker
08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
It was strange to me when I was talking to some friends around here that said they felt it. They had told me it shook and shook. I did not feel a thing. I actually did not know about it until I overheard a couple people talking. I live about oh maybe 4 hours from where it took place. The closest big city near me is 45 minutes north and that is Roanoke...

NoZombies
08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I was sitting in a Coffee shop last year in central america when a 5.8 hit. I stepped outside and watched the buildings dancing around. It was surreal. No damage, no injuries. I was within a few miles of the "eppicenter" and the worst thing that happened was when I went home, the poorly stacked dishes in the sink had settled. I had slept through the 5.3 a few hours earlier.

MtGun44
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
My Dad lives about 3 miles from the epicenter. He was out on the deck and felt nothing, which
I think is due to the deck being about 4 ft tall on 4x4s driven into the ground and this
probably decoupled it from the ground. He has a guy that mows his yard and helps him and
he was on the mower and didn't feel it either. I guess the normal bumping and rocking of
a riding mower is similar to the quake. Broke a big mirror, some china and glasses, pictures
askew on the wall and a few on the floor. My brother will be up soon and will look at the
chimney and foundation walls.

The oddest thing was that they said it sounded like a huge explosion - a very loud boom
and then the shaking started. Seems kinda like if you are really close to a shallow quake
that maybe you hear the rocks rupturing. Never heard anyone describe an earthquake
that way before.

Bill

geargnasher
08-25-2011, 11:58 PM
"VIRGINIA QUAKE~~BREAKING NEWS!!!
The USGS has determined that the epicenter of the Va earthquake was in a graveyard just outside of DC. The cause appears to be all of our Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves"

:bigsmyl2:[smilie=l::bigsmyl2:

Gear

fishnbob
08-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I live within 50 miles of the epicenter and felt nothing. I feel so cheated. No aftershocks, nothing. I think I was riding up the road in my *** truck when it happened. The way IT rides, how could I have felt anything?