View Full Version : I Finally Scored

Dickenscpa
08-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I finally scored at lunch yesterday. Was eating lunch and decided to walk around to the shop. I've done a TON of business with them over the last 11 years. Asked for wheel weights and he said sure but it's just steel why would you want them.

Well we went to the back and every sample we picked out easy deformed squeezing with pliers. Let me have about 50lbs. He said it took almost a year to save that up.

I just hope when I get them home tonight I can separate everything correctly. I was on my bike yesterday and couldn't take them home. Going back today at lunch.

My Dad has owned a contracting company for 48 years, specializing in electric and plumbing. He rarely even sees lead. You'd think I'd have an awesome source there, but not.

Brad

Dickenscpa
08-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I went and picked these up at lunch. It was closer to 75lbs. But, he clarified and said it was many months, closer to years to save up.

These are all stick ons of individual little squares. There's a few steel nuts in there, not much. A few of the weight's individual squares are zinc. They have a Zn and .18oz on them. I'd say 90% say 1/4oz and are easily crushed or cut with needle nose pliers. The ones with Zn can not be cut or marred.

I'm assuming the latter are lead? A few of what I'm considering lead have been chromed and even fewer have a black coating. These came from a Harley dealership. Two less tires and less frequent tire changes. I'm sure that's why it takes so long to collect many.

Are my assumptions correct? Am I good to go with the soft ones without Zn? They also wouldn't stick to a magnet.

TIA
Brad

imashooter2
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Your assumptions are sound. Congrats on the score.

Sgt Petro
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Congrats! Nothing like a good score to make the week go by. Think of all the fun you'll have smelting this weekend!

I'd smelt all the stickies separate, as those are almost pure lead. Save them to alloy the hard stuff (or muzzle loader).

Be sure to drop by some encouragement if you can (a pizza, donuts etc).

Dickenscpa
08-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Congrats! Nothing like a good score to make the week go by. Think of all the fun you'll have smelting this weekend!

I'd smelt all the stickies separate, as those are almost pure lead. Save them to alloy the hard stuff (or muzzle loader).

Be sure to drop by some encouragement if you can (a pizza, donuts etc).

I bought 7 Harleys from them in 11 years, Lord knows how much in parts. Plus they have a restaurant I probably pay the utilities on. LOL! They owed me.:mrgreen:

But, they'll probably get some reward. LOL!

BTW, they're ALL stickies. I wonder if they even put clipons on bikes? I'm tickled though. Now I need to build up a stash.

Thanks for all the help here!

Brad