PDA

View Full Version : Identify Lead Ingots By Shape And Weight?

UtopiaTexasG19
08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I just bought a number of lead ingots and wondered if anyone have ever seen this shape and weight in lead? I am curious as to what industry if any where they were used. 2" x 10" all weigh right at 5 pounds. Thanks...
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/mpawelek/LeadIngots002Large.jpg
I realize the shape and weight will not tell me anything about the consistancy of the lead. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this size and shape before in any particular industry. For example, I have in the past bought in sailing boat lead ballast from different sources and all were the same shape and weight (26 pounds) so I thought these ingots may be familiar to someone. I have enough to last me a lifetime so I suppose if I test a dozen or so at random for hardness they should all be similiar in composition.

alamogunr
08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
A few years ago I bought some samples of linotype, Lyman #2 and pure lead from Bill Ferguson(The Antimony Man). He sent me ingots that looked just like your picture except for size. The ones he sent me were about 1" X 6" He identified them by marking with a Sharpie.

I suspect that the shape has nothing to do with the composition. On the other hand, if they are from a particular industry usage, you may have a treasure trove. If they make good boolits, that is.

Sure beats cleaning up dirty WW.

bumpo628
08-23-2011, 10:40 PM
It looks like someone made a mold by cutting a pipe in half.
You can try testing it by casting some boolits of this alloy and a few known alloys. Then put them in a vise nose to nose and see which one is harder.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
The upper and lower ingots have a similar if not the same shape as used in some of those bread stick molds made by either Griswold or Wagner; both made out of cast iron. Some folks have used those bread stick or corn bread stick molds for just that purpose. It doesn't wear them out or damaqe them, but they may be worth quite a bit of money as heirlooms or collector items....some of them might even be rare models and of considerably more value than the "common" ones. I would suggest consulting an antique book to see what you have got; they can be found in antique stores or the library. Its like the lottery...."Ya never know". LLS

GLL
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
LLS nailed it ! Bread stick molds . I own two myself and one is dedicated to making ingots of tin and 60/40 solder.

Jerry