PDA

View Full Version : high scrap prices

hydraulic
08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I drove 75 miles to the nearest town with a scrap dealer, planning on asking about buying lead, today, and took my scrap brass along hopeing to sell it. There was a line of trucks and trailers streaching back two blocks waiting to get in. I went to Tractor Supply and Maynards and killed a couple of hours and when I went back there was another bunch of trucks sitting in the same place. I have heard that iron prices are high, but I've never seen anything like this before. Came home.

uscra112
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh yeah !

Around here (Ohio River Country) it's become a cottage industry for guys out of work. At my club's outdoor range a few weeks ago they held a shoot-em-up that trashed three or four old cars. Now this range is on a back road off a back road off a back road; how they found it I cannot imagine. But while I was packing up a couple guys pulled in and wanted to know if they could have the cars! I've also met a guy there who harvests spent brass. Not to reload, just to sell to the recycler. I ain't tellin' him about all the lead in the berms! The club would have my guts for garters! Stories on the news every week of stolen manhole covers, gutters ripped off peoples houses, wiring torn down from phone poles. The local electric co-op has had 10 grand worth of ground wires stolen from transformers. I go to farm auctions, and I meet guys there bidding each other up for the piles of rusty scrap that the old farmers would accumulate behind the barn. One day I watched a nice antique cast iron machine tool sell. Nice enough that I would have bought it if I'd had a way to transport it. Asked the guy if he was going to restore it. or just use it. Nope, he says, sell it for scrap. I could have wept.

It's totally nuts, and getting worse.

JIMinPHX
08-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm not seeing so much brass out in the desert shooting pits these days. Even the spent .22s don't seem to be laying around anymore.

bslim
08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Range brass brings $1.70/lb. up here. What are they paying in your area?

old turtle
08-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I recently got $2.00/lb. down here. The dollar is going down and this makes items more expensive. You can thank the Federal Reserve for this inflation.

2wheelDuke
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The scrap "industry" is just insane around these parts. I take way too many theft reports where the scumbags went and took hurricane shutters, wiring, plumbing pipe, etc. from somebody. Most vacant houses around there from the real estate mess don't have a scrap of metal left in them.

It's nice to see a few bucks from the rabbit after a job, with #10 at $120 a roll, materials prices kill you on a job.

Sonnypie
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Oh yeah !

Around here (Ohio River Country) it's become a cottage industry for guys out of work. At my club's outdoor range a few weeks ago they held a shoot-em-up that trashed three or four old cars. Now this range is on a back road off a back road off a back road; how they found it I cannot imagine. But while I was packing up a couple guys pulled in and wanted to know if they could have the cars! I've also met a guy there who harvests spent brass. Not to reload, just to sell to the recycler. I ain't tellin' him about all the lead in the berms! The club would have my guts for garters! Stories on the news every week of stolen manhole covers, gutters ripped off peoples houses, wiring torn down from phone poles. The local electric co-op has had 10 grand worth of ground wires stolen from transformers. I go to farm auctions, and I meet guys there bidding each other up for the piles of rusty scrap that the old farmers would accumulate behind the barn. One day I watched a nice antique cast iron machine tool sell. Nice enough that I would have bought it if I'd had a way to transport it. Asked the guy if he was going to restore it. or just use it. Nope, he says, sell it for scrap. I could have wept.

It's totally nuts, and getting worse.

Do you know what "Shovel Ready" means?

Get the shovels ready to bury America.
(After the scrapers get done selling the scrounges to Furrin Countries, that is.) [smilie=b:

Meanwhile, back in the shop, I have too many rifle boolits cast. And I ordered a .45 mold for the pistols. (Mine, his, and theirs.)
Back to sizing/GCing.

The one who dies with the biggest horde, leaves the best booty behind!
I'm going to make somebody very happy! :lol:

fredj338
08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Slow economy, people oput of work, gotta pay the bills somehow.

nanuk
08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I just checked the scrap ammo brass from Canadian Armed Forces Training in the last 10 months or so

125844Kg
$690698.00 CAD
averaged $5.4885/Kg or around $2.49/lb

the cheapest one, also the closest to me was $3.31/kg, 9mm, 40cal, 5.56, 38sp, 22cal, 308/762nato

fallout4x4
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
$2.50 for scrap brass at my source outside of seattle

hydraulic
08-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Well, I loaded up and went back again Monday, and sat in line for an hour and a half. Got $210 a ton for iron, $3.53 a lb. for #1 copper, $3.42 for #2, $2.16 for solid brass, but only 70 cents for brass shells. I've been saving my used primers for several years and had two large peach cans full and only got $1.20 total for both cans. I'll probably keep saving them, but not because of what they are worth. I hadn't paid anything for this stuff and came home with a check for $230. That will help pay for the gas to get to the Q next June.

bslim
08-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Took in another pail of brass yseterday. The price went down to $1.50/lb. I'm thinking I'll stockpile until the price goes back up.

thompsonm1a1
09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
scrap prices up here in nova scotia, canada are high also. i got rid of my scrap the first of aug and got 3.10 for copper and 1.90 for brass. the crooks have been stealing scrap all over the province but one bright person got the idea of cutting the copper out of a electric substation and he cut the wrong wire and he got 8000 volts for his hard work. by the time someone showed up to see what was going on he was a crispie critter. i hope to make some money on my scrap so i converted it to US $ and hope the canadian $ goes down and then cash it in.

lwknight
09-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I think that you took the wrong turn. Its the US dollar that will continue to lose value more than Canadian.

mtgrs737
09-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Ever wonder what happened to all those neat old cars, trucks, and other vintage metal products? Most didn't survive the scrap drives of WWII and those that did may not survive the Chinese whom are building their roads, bridges, dams, and high rises, yes we capitalists will be happy to sell them our natural resoures for pennies on the dollar. The Chinese don't want our manufactured goods, they only want our raw materials so that they can drive their economy while ours sinks.

hydraulic
09-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I got a surprise when I went to the office for my check. They asked for my drivers license and copied it and then pointed to a box sitting on the counter and said, "Stick your finger in there". They took my finger print. The thieves have been busy in Nebraska, too.

lwknight
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
They I.D. everyone according to law but could not for their own life tell you who brought what other than what type metal and how much. Once the metal is mixed in the bin its all the same.
Usually the guy taking the I.D. and paying the money never sees the goods. He just goes by what the yard guys write up and the yard guys never I.D. anyone.

My synopsis is that the whole thing is just a feel good law that does nothing.

Digger
09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
This part of the country they have been stealing from the cemetery .
Local paper in Reno has run articles in the past year about brass flower urns, plaques being taken ......very sad .

zomby woof
09-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I shoot with the guy that recycles our clubs indoor scrap. He took our scrap in last week (55 gal drum full) and only got $.07 per pound. All that copper mixed in really brings down the value.

I wish I could large scale the processing of all that lead. It's just too difficult for me. I take 100 lbs at a time.

mold maker
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
That was not the place or way to get rid of the scrap. Surely somebody would smelt the lead from it and sell the jackets as #2 plumbers brass. Even if it was sold as scrap lead, and scrap brass, the diff in price would have put lots more money in the range kitty.
Around here people bid on the privilege, to gather the "SCRAP".
There's a time coming shortly, when that barrel of range scrap, would be poor mans gold.
As the old saying goes. "Waste not, want not".

lwknight
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I shoot with the guy that recycles our clubs indoor scrap. He took our scrap in last week (55 gal drum full) and only got $.07 per pound. All that copper mixed in really brings down the value.

I wish I could large scale the processing of all that lead. It's just too difficult for me. I take 100 lbs at a time.

I wish I could have bought it. It would bring over $2.00 combined after smelting the lead out. Someone made a killing at $0.07 per pound.

So for about 4 grand in profits and 3 days work , you think its too difficult?
You must be born rich.

63 Shiloh
09-06-2011, 06:07 AM
With the way things are in the US, its only a matter of time before it hits down here.

Hell, I and 8 others got retrenched a few weeks ago!

Tough times indeed, I will start smelting range scrap on a large scale. Get it all sorted and clean and wait for the price to go up.

Jeez, trying to get by being an honest bloke is getting harder and harder.

Mike

zomby woof
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I wish I could have bought it. It would bring over $2.00 combined after smelting the lead out. Someone made a killing at $0.07 per pound.

So for about 4 grand in profits and 3 days work , you think its too difficult?
You must be born rich.

There's about 800lbs on the floor right now. come up and get it.

quasi
09-06-2011, 10:35 PM
63 Shiloh, what does "retrenched" mean?

63 Shiloh
09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
63 Shiloh, what does "retrenched" mean?

A polite way of saying ' we cannot afford to keep you on, sorry, here is some money but you ain't got a job anymore'.

Mike

hydraulic
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Walking around Walmart today and noticed they wanted $35 for 50 ft. of romax. normax? can't remember how its spelled, but it helps explain the high scrap copper prices.

blackbike
09-11-2011, 09:57 AM
In the first 100 yearof this country there was NO imflation.george washinton and abraham lincoin pay the same price for a loaf of bread about .19 cents ,because andrew jackson ran off the feds.1919 they got back (about) 100 years later (now) how much is a loaf?1943 roosevelt desides to regelate our gold,he said we were hording it.1963 they regelate our silver (look at your coins) mostly not silver.1983 they regelate our copper (pennies now zink) when I sell my scrap, they want my picture,ID tag#so i can sell my regalated materials, for paper noney(money they call it) now Iask you how much longer can this go on.metal going up and dollar going down.maybe theres a better way to go about this thing. Just a thought!

KohlerK91
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I think about the prices of precious metals all the time too including brass and lead in particular. In the short time I have been reloading (6years) Prices have doubled. I could buy 1000 FMJ speer 9mm bullets for 40bucks form dillon but now I think its close to $90-$100. Yes I have a hole **** load of lead and brass and I could sell it at (whats the going rate on here for lead.....95cent delivered?) but what will I have to pay years down the road to replace it? Brass is the same thing. Its pretty much money in the bank to me, meaning I can sell it at pretty much any time if I need to. For now Ill just hold off.

Remember how high the housing prices where and you thought "HOW HIGH CAN IT POSSIBLY GO"? same with metals realy how high can gold really go, $4000 an ounce?

mold maker
09-11-2011, 11:47 AM
IF, the economy ever turns around, and industry revives, the price of everything will double again. China and others will bid the price up and we will have to compete, for raw materials.

Phat Man Mike
09-11-2011, 12:17 PM
the crooks have been busy around here also. stealing huge AC units off schools, churches or anywhere else it's not used everyday. there was one report in western Ok about the sheriff getting called out to check phone line and the crooks had cut and torn down a long area. told the sheriff they where sub-contractors with W/O and he called it in to check, then arrested them. it's sad to see.

gew98
09-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I worked in a Junkyard for some years along time ago. If you don't sort the types and grades the way the buyer wants them they all get you on the "mixed prices". When I recover jacketed bullets I toss them in the smelter and skim off the jackets. I put these in my #2 copper stash. I even do plated bullets like that - and if they are not damaged I snip them with a pair of dykes and the molten lead center ppours out of the cut when smelted.
The theft for scrap is bad all over... really bad. The two old timers I know in my area that do lawn mower repair can't keep a lick of metal outside their shops overnight on a daily basis.
All the scarp yards/junkyards in my rural travels have adopted rather tall sturdy fences due to rampant theft.
I went to a farm auction with a buddy several months ago ...and man there was a pile of scrap metal and the bidding on it was stupid crazy !. The firts couple haywagons of tools and farm 'stuff' went fairly cheap and I got a nice husqvarna 41 chainsaw for $70 , but once the crowd swelled the 'resellers' came out in force and stupid junk went for stupid money and good junk went for crazy money. Did'nt stay long after the first two wagons...it got insane after they sold off.

FTF
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
In the first 100 yearof this country there was NO imflation.george washinton and abraham lincoin pay the same price for a loaf of bread about .19 cents ,because andrew jackson ran off the feds.1919 they got back (about) 100 years later (now) how much is a loaf?1943 roosevelt desides to regelate our gold,he said we were hording it.1963 they regelate our silver (look at your coins) mostly not silver.1983 they regelate our copper (pennies now zink) when I sell my scrap, they want my picture,ID tag#so i can sell my regalated materials, for paper noney(money they call it) now Iask you how much longer can this go on.metal going up and dollar going down.maybe theres a better way to go about this thing. Just a thought!

I just read a blurb in one of the "Right Wing" e-mail alerts that I get by the hundreds, that Mr.Obama and his cronies have, effective 12 September 2011, put ALL GOLD BULLION TRANSACTIONS over 10 Ounces, under the overview/control of the Federal Trade Commision. To be monitiored and recorded for whatever high purpose they may have in mind. History teaches us that, REGISTRATION "Always" Precedes CONFISCATION.

blackbike
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
An old man told long ago when scrap go way up the economy will sone go down.turns out to be true.I don`t think metal is going up, I think the dollar is going down.

Huntducks
09-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Hell they stole the Alum. bleachers at the local softball field several weeks back.

I'm surprised more backflow devices are not ripped out.

When I closed my plumbing Bus 10 years ago I had a sh!! load of copper close the 800lbs of fitting and pipe maybe more, I started selling it off when copper went over $3.00lb I just took 154lbs in several weeks back and they paid $4.14 a lb.

You have to watch these scrap yards I have one closer to me they were paying a buck less a lb.

They were paying $2.02lb for brass cases when I took my copper in.

They have been ID and fingerprinting for years here in KA.