PDA

View Full Version : I really shouldn't be let out by myself :-)

Buckshot
01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
..............I work 12 hour shifts at night over the weekends. Four nights one week and 3 nights the next, etc. I get off Monday at 0600 and rather then burn a day off I stay up. Not real tough in the winter when it's cool, but in the summer it can be a real war. Regardless the temp, usually about 1100 or so I start slowing down and can pretty well entertain myself by just sitting in the shop leaning against the workbench feeling sorry about all the stuff not getting done.

So this Monday AM I thought I'd check in on E-Bone to a couple of favorite sellers who've historicly had some pretty nifty stuff end on Monday mornings. I scored pretty well I'm happy to say :-). Best was 10 Guhring 3/8" Tin coated parabolic drill bits for $0.99, but the jazbo was charging $15 shipping. I didn't kick because these things cost $37 EACHH!!!!!!! at MSC :holysheep,

Then I checked out the board here. Fooled around in the shop a bit and just couldn't really get wound up to start anything. Maybe I should say I just couldn't get it all in one sock. One thing I knew was gonna happen was that I was going to the Whoppertorium and then the smoke shop for life's essentials.

At the BK place I had a leisurely lunch amongst a bunch of squaling, screaming run a mok kids amd then left to pick up some smokes. On the way I passed the local Big 5 sporting goods but they were on the other side of the divided street and I was going the wrong way. Saved! One of the guys last Tuesday was showing off his new Savage heavy barrel 22RF he'd picked up for a screaming price at a different Big 5. I DO NOT need another 22RF rifle, but it was such a GOOD deal! :groner:

As luck would have it, the smoke shop is about a half mile up the street, but is on the other side. Right, it's on the same side as Big5. When I came out I sat in the car dithering for a few minutes about should I or shouldn't I? Heck, I knew what you guys would have said, so I should and I did. I figured I'd pick up a gun case as I did need a kind of smaller one. WHen I went back to the gun dept, what did they have in the rack but a M95 Steyr tagged at $89.

Actually a M95/34 but regardless, my chances of seeing another for that price so close and looking so nice were about nil. All at the same time I was elated and ashamed of myself. Don't go get on your high horse neither because you've been there and done that. I got a gun case too :-). I hope the thing doesn't shoot as I'd sure like to make it into something else, ha!

................Buckshot the infantile

madcaster
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
My Friend,
It sounds like fighting sleep is gonna cost you some well spent dollars!LOL!!!

NVcurmudgeon
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Rick, that's a deal you couldn't pass up, you can justify it because you already have the mould and dies! My resistance is pretty good unless I am with another cast boolit reprobate. Urny and ammohead egged me into buying the last two milsurps. I got word today that Deputy Al may come for the next Big Reno Gun Show, doggone it, heh, heh.

MT Gianni
01-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Tell Donna that you paid for it with what you saved on drill bits. It's never worked for me but there's always a first time. Gianni.

hpdrifter
01-23-2007, 02:07 AM
huuuum, I worked 4 twelve our shifts over the weekend also. I know that fightin sleep deal on monday morns., but I didn't know you could shoot guncases too. Or make them into something else!:)

one zombie to another.

Frank46
01-23-2007, 03:52 AM
huuuum, I worked 4 twelve our shifts over the weekend also. I know that fightin sleep deal on monday morns., but I didn't know you could shoot guncases too. Or make them into something else!:)

one zombie to another.

We used to do the twelve hour thing also. When we finished the 12 to 6 am shift you also had the choice to crash or stay up and see what trouble you could get into by yourself. I usually did the rounds of the gun shops on Long Island starting at T N T's near seaford oysterbay expressway, then into farmingdale to hit either edelman's or the other one and up to huntington for maybe the last one. Stop off at the coffee shop get a couple rolls w. creamcheese and a 16oz coffee lite no sugar. Some days it was abust but then somedays I'd score. Or got to the huntington town range and shoot for the better part of the day. That became my routine with few changes for many years. The bestpart of going to T N T was that marty the owner would sometimes have a big pile of dunkin donuts and we'd make a mad dash over there to get some coffee. Or dash off to American Hamburger and load up and bring out bags of burgers back to the store and hand em out to those who ordered them. Great way to spend a saturday afternoon, expecially hanging around with a bunch of like minded folks. Thanks for the memories. Frank

threett1
01-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Those little Steyrs are nice. Got a 95/34 to go with my long 95 just not too long ago. Feller at work is an old military nut too. And by the way, after getting the short one I was looking over my long one, which is fairly pristine, and realized it had NO import marks. Anyways, I know how them 12hr nights are. Worked nights over 20 years. Been on days over a year now and still can't sleep right.:mrgreen:

guninhand
01-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Hmmm. I'm working my last EVER 12 hour shift now. Another 7.5 hours and it's just shoot, shoot and shoot some more till it's time for the big dirt nap.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Buckshot
01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
.............I'd like to have a Steyr infantry rifle. Actually one in 8x50R would be kewl! I mentioned to the rangemaster that I'd bought a M95/34 from Big 5 and he said another guy had shown up with one from there and the barrel was the absolute pits. The bore on this one was pretty full of cosmolene so we'll see. As I said, if it's junk I won't have any qualms about making iut something else. Maybe a 7.62x54R with a .300x.308" barrel?

..................Buckshot

Nrut
01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Hmmm. I'm working my last EVER 12 hour shift now. Another 7.5 hours and it's just shoot, shoot and shoot some more till it's time for the big dirt nap.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You lucky Dog!...I have 460 12hr shifts left to do before retirement......:(