PDA

View Full Version : What are the signs of a broken firing pin?

no34570
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi Fellas
I have a 1972 Marlin 444,with a MG barrel,I use Remington primers,in Remington cases,with my reloads,using ADI AR2207 and the Ranchdog 270gr bullet,but every 2nd or 3rd shot misfires,hardly touches the primer,I know these primers work flawlessly in my other rifles and no misfires???:(
All reloads are freshly made,go to sight in the load,pull the trigger,nothing happens,just a dull click,then cycle,fire nothing,cycle and fire and boom away she goes,it has me pulling my hair out and believe me I cannot afford to loose that much more:-D,seriously,could it be a firing pin or a firing pin spring?
I don't know how to pull it apart?,are the firing pins one piece or the two piece one.?
If it is broken,where would I get one for it here in Australia?
Sorry for the questions,but it has me razzeled :???:

Cheers

no34570
08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Just seen the thread on this forum of Gunnerd,336 firing pin,will try some of those answers.
Sorry for this post,moderators you can delete if you want?

Four Fingers of Death
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
They are two piece, never pulled one apart that far but looking at the NRA Firearms Disassembly book, it appears that there is a pin at the top of the bolt that holds it in.

Western Firearms in Beverly Hills Sydney have a good stock of Marlin parts, they have a website and do lots of mail order.

If you want me I can scan the instructions and email them to you. Probably better to copy and fax them if you have access to a fax or post them to you.

wallenba
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Drop a pencil down the barrel with the eraser on the bolt face. Cock and pull the trigger. Pencil should fly out a good distance.

Four Fingers of Death
08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Drop a pencil down the barrel with the eraser on the bolt face. Cock and pull the trigger. Pencil should fly out a good distance.

Wow! That sounds like fun, lol.

I was speaking to Western Firearms on another matter. They have 336 firing pins in stock, $34.

Make sure it is actually broken first.

Frank46
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Sounds as though you have a gunk problem. Meaning there might a lot of old dried grease and oil in the firing pin hole in the breech bolt that needs to be cleaned out. Try some carb cleaner to try and flush it out . Oil sparingly as the carb cleaner will remove all the oil and grease and if not lubricated will start to rust very soon. Its amazing the amount of gunk one will find in a lever action that has not really been cleaned. Frank

no34570
08-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the replies,I'll will try and clean it out first,will let you know what happens ;)

Bloodman14
08-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Tried that holding the rifle vertically, pencil cleared the muzzle by a good 4 inches!
So, that eliminates mechanical problems; I'll reclean the receiver today and let you know.

EDIT: I'm sorry, this belongs on my thread "Marlin 336 firing pin"!

popper
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Run a long pipe cleaner soaked in solvent down the firing pin hole, then dry ones. Just like cleaning the barrel. Make sure the shoulder is set back far enough(really set it back on a few to check the problem). Clean the primer pockets real well and seat them really good. Jack it twice to see if it fires the second time. See replies in Gunnards thread.

no34570
08-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi
Well last night while nothing much was on TV,I disassembled the bolt and you should have seen the awful gunk that was around the firing pin hole,it turned my solvent bath,that I had the bolt in,black,it was chock a block full,cleaned it out,every last bit of gunk,so that it was spotless,dried every thing,then LIGHTLY greased the metal parts,with Tetra Gun Grease,put every thing back together made sure every thing was in it's right place and no spare parts left over,hahaha :)
Tried dry firing on a fired case and the firing pin sounded a lot more healthier and crisp sounding,will go out today and shoot a few to see,will post back later.
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Till later ;)

no34570
08-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Tried that holding the rifle vertically, pencil cleared the muzzle by a good 4 inches!
So, that eliminates mechanical problems; I'll reclean the receiver today and let you know.

EDIT: I'm sorry, this belongs on my thread "Marlin 336 firing pin"!
Gunnerd
Don't worry about that,I took most of the advice from your thread.
Tried the pencil trick too,it cleared the muzzle no worries.
So hoping by cleaning mine out it will be ok,I hope !

no34570
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Well
I have had success,each shot that I chambered went off,so I took some factory rounds and shot the whole pack EEEKKK($60 per 20) and all my reloads to test,gun is sighted in and working a treat. Not one misfired,YIPPIE!
Now I have no ammo for the 444,so will have to go and make some more,that Ranchdog 270gr boolit is awesome,at 100 meters,all shooting in a 1.5 inch group,I might be able to get better,if I was not in a hurry to get back and tell you my problem is fixed,I could have taken more care,aww well. ;)
Now to get ready to make more 444 loads. Casting session coming up!

Four Fingers of Death
08-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Well
EEEKKK($60 per 20)

Actually, $60 for 20 is the cheapest I have seen 444 Ammo for in the past two or so years ( I never noriced it until I bought 444 a few years ago, I ended up buying 100cases!).

As far as rushing teh shooting, I suppose you will have to keep doing it until you get it right, lol! Any excuse to go shooting will do!

popper
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't know about tetra gun grease but i would be careful using grease on the firing pin. It is a floating pin, grease could stick it in the wrong position. A dry lube or light syn oil won''t attract as much dirt.

no34570
08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Actually, $60 for 20 is the cheapest I have seen 444 Ammo for in the past two or so years ( I never noriced it until I bought 444 a few years ago, I ended up buying 100cases!).

As far as rushing teh shooting, I suppose you will have to keep doing it until you get it right, lol! Any excuse to go shooting will do!
Hi Mick
I nearly had a heart attack,when I was told how much per 20 it was,when I picked up the Marlin,I had just bought,I thought,well,I need them,as I did not have dies for it them.

I went and imported 400 Brass unprimed cases and 100 Nickel cases for the 444,as well as some 45/70 Brass and 1400 various projectiles for the 444 & about 300 for different cals,that was in 2007,with the shipping I paid,I still came out in front,than buying the components here in Oz[smilie=s:
Any excuse for a shooting session is always welcome ;)

no34570
08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't know about tetra gun grease but i would be careful using grease on the firing pin. It is a floating pin, grease could stick it in the wrong position. A dry lube or light syn oil won''t attract as much dirt.
It was only a smear??????
You think I should pull it apart again and put some dry lube,like some graphite or Molybdenum?

no34570
08-24-2011, 06:30 PM
OK
Here is another question or two ;)

What would the advantage be,going to a one piece firing pin ?

Would it be faster lock time or just stronger pin?

Would I have to upgrade the firing pin spring & trigger?

If it is an advantage,why didn't Marlin do a one piece firing pin?

Have been thinking of doing the Marlin up,as when I bought it,it was and has still,a lot of blue missing on the action and barrel and dings in the wood work.

superior
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I've found that a good dose of boiling water cleans the best. After that, the hot parts dry quickly, followed immediately by a good spray lube.

some will find this helpful
some will not

no34570
08-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I've found that a good dose of boiling water cleans the best. After that, the hot parts dry quickly, followed immediately by a good spray lube.

some will find this helpful
some will not
I find it helpful,thanks ;)

popper
08-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Don't think you have to pull it apart and remove the grease now, wait till you clean it again. Grease, generically, is a lubricant for high pressure applications. It covers but doesn't penetrate (protect) much. It collects dirt and in cold weather, can be very stiff. If you firing pin gets stuck in the fire position and you jack the lever fast, you could get a slam fire. That would NOT be good. I wouldn't consider a one-peice pin unless mine was broken and I heard that it was really needed.

popper
08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
IMHO, old guns are meant to look old. Maybe re-blue for protection and just SHOOT the heck out of it. Enjoy.

no34570
08-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Don't think you have to pull it apart and remove the grease now, wait till you clean it again. Grease, generically, is a lubricant for high pressure applications. It covers but doesn't penetrate (protect) much. It collects dirt and in cold weather, can be very stiff. If you firing pin gets stuck in the fire position and you jack the lever fast, you could get a slam fire. That would NOT be good. I wouldn't consider a one-peice pin unless mine was broken and I heard that it was really needed.
Too late.........I have pulled it apart again and dry lubed it,with Moly & Graphite :)
Still feels slick,so,I'll leave it like that.
I just was thinking out load about the one piece firing pin,may get one later down the track,but if it ain't broke why fix it,someone more wiser than me used to say,then,I think everyone used to say that? ;)

no34570
08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
IMHO, old guns are meant to look old. Maybe re-blue for protection and just SHOOT the heck out of it. Enjoy.
Yes,I agree,I would not to try to "Fix up"my 135 year old Martini Enfield with the patina look on it,so some guns no,I would not touch.
But my Marlin,I would like to see it like it was in 1972,straight off the dealers shelf.
But like you said,I would not go overboard,just reblue her and shoot the heck out of her,it is a nice rifle,even with half the blue missing on her.