PDA

View Full Version : How Hard To Read Microscope on Lee H.T.?

metweezer
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi,
I wonder how many people in their 50's and 60's are having trouble reading the microscope that comes with the Lee Hardness Tester. I would like to buy one but I am 63 and my eyes are not nearly as good as they once were. No use in paying 50.00 or so on a product that I can't use. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

08-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Ample light is a must. I use a small L.E.D. flashlight and haven't a problem.

williamwaco
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Ample light is a must. I use a small L.E.D. flashlight and haven't a problem.

Steve,

Ample light is a requirement. No eyes can read this thing without a really bright light shining directly into the microscope tube opening. I also usse a two "A" cell LED flashlight for this purpose. ( Of all the tools on my bench, I find this little flashlight in my hand more often than any other. )

I find it impossible to use with less than three hands.

You must hold it perfectly stationary in all three directions, left, right, and up and down. The only way I can do this is to place the bullet in a vice with the impression to be measured exactly even with the vice jaws. Then rest the microscope on the vice jaws with the flashlight propped on boxes and shining directly on the impression.

Note that to measure accurately, the end of the microscope tube must align vertically with the impression. This is easy on a large flat surface like an ingot but it is very difficult very difficult on a bullet.

OR-

Toss the microscope altogether!

Measure the impression with your dial/digital caliper. This is much faster, much easier, and every bit as accurate. This also requires very good light to avoid having the caliper jaws cast shadows on the impression.

I used to recheck my caliper readings with the microscope but I no longer do that. ( I do use a 2x reading clip-in that clips onto my glasses. Walmart - 10 bucks).

I recommend you buy it. There are others that are easier to read but much more expensive. I am really glad I bought mine.

PS: My Eyes are 70 years old.

wallenba
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I use a jewelers loupe and my calipers.

Larry Gibson
08-23-2011, 02:21 AM
I made mine into a real "microscope". As noted, sufficient light is necessary and I wear my glasses and use the bifocal part of the lens to look through the Lee. The scale is crystal clear that way.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Bite the bullet and get a Cabine Tree. Twice the money, 100x the instrument.

Dan Cash
08-23-2011, 07:45 AM
What Bret said + 10

largom
08-23-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm 68 and had the same problem as you when I bought my Lee several years ago. I bought a small childs microscope at an auction for $1.00, removed the lens, installed the Lee scope and it now works great. My set-up is almost the same as Larry Gibson's. The microscope stand holds the Lee steady and provides easy adjustments.

Larry Miller

mikes2
08-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello all, been reading these pages for quite a while, finally have something to say. I had similar problems and I ended up drilling a hole slightly larger than the microscope tube thru a old lee die that I had and put a small o ring around the microscope tube ,then slid microscope in die and screwed die into reloading press, raise ram on press and with bullet on top of ram, adjust focus by screwing die up or down, then you have two hands free to hold light and center the bullet .. made that thing easy for me to use.... hope that helps,,,, Mike

Mike Kerr
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Plenty of light and the use of at least one of the several magnifying devices I have within five feet of my chair. Getting old is a real bummer sometimes.

regards,

:cry::cry:

mdi
08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
My Lee 'scope fits quite well in a 45 ACP sizing die (with deprimming pin removed), and I can use it on my single stage press. Lots of light required though...

imashooter2
08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I found a yellow filter on the light source helps quite a bit.

geargnasher
08-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm getting about ready for "readers" myself, but I still manage. My secret is to use a clamp-on aluminum-reflector spotlight clipped on the bookshelf over my reloading bench, and aim it so that it blasts light from a 100-watt-equivalent compact flourescent bulb right across the boolit, leaving the dimple in shadow. I just hold the boolit in my fingers, if measuring the side, put the pocket scope directly on the flat to read, if measuring the nose, brace the mouth of the scope on the fingertips holding the boolit. If it's in focus, it's the right distance from the impression.

Gear

onondaga
09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm 61 with trifocals. The Lee hardness test kit has been a great help to me. I have had mine since the product first came out. I can still use the microscope OK but members here started discussing using optical magnification and a caliper to view the indentations that the tool makes about a year ago. I started using my 6X headband magnifier and an analog dial caliper about a year ago and have been very surprised at how this has worked easy and well for me.

The Scope that comes with the kit is a very small part of the value of the kit and if the scope is too difficult for you, try a magnifier and caliper. Most reloaders have things like calipers and magnifiers on hand. My Magnifier hood was $10 from harbor freight and was really purchased for another hobby. I have a 12X loupe that attaches to my eyeglasses and that works also.

The parts that fit your press in the Lee kit are the money items in the kit, but, that little scope, not so much!

Gary

dagger dog
09-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Get a 5/8th" ID pipe nipple,the threads will screw into the 7/8th" bushing in your single stage press,the threads are not an exact match one being taper pipe and the other SAE course but it will hold tight enough.

Clip the microscope into the pipe nipple with the pocket clip,then clip the shell-bullet holder into the ram, put the bullet you want to test onto the holder and raise the ram, thats your course focus adjustment, then slide the microscope up or down in the pocket clip for fine focus adjustment.

Your local Wally World has a Winchester brand,single AAA battery powered LED flexible bore light for under 5 bucks, attach that to the press with twist ties and bend the flex LED so it shines on the bullet,position the microscope so the light shines into the cut away portion.

Works great! I have cataracts and wear progressive lenses and can still get good results, before trying to hold the 'scope by hand I was about to give up on the rig.

One of the previous posts on a different threads recommends mounting the bullet on a "slide" which I'm going to try on my next batch.