PDA

View Full Version : Load data for .25acp

unknownhavoc
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey guys,
I just found a nice .251 mold for my little pocket pistols and will start casting as soon as I get my hands on it. I went through my manuals, and to my surprise didn't find any load data for a lead boolits. I could've sworn one of my manuals had this data, but I must have been mistaken. The Lee manual has two different sections for a "50gr boolit" and then for a "50gr jacketed boolit" Would the latter include lead?

Thanks

Link23
08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
my Lyman Cast boolit handbook 4th has nothing on it..... which is sad cause id like to start casting for my little raven

BCB
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
The 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook on page 248 lists data for the 252435 boolit which is a 51 grainer...

Should work with cast in this weight bracket...

What powder are you hoping to use?...

I load for this little flipper, but only have used jacketed bullets...

Still there is data out there...

Which Lee manual? I have several of them...

Good-luck...BCB

unknownhavoc
08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I was only aware of two Lee manuals, I have the second edition. I was hoping to load with Unique. I load these guys now with 35gr GDHP, but wanted something that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, cause I shoot these little buggers A LOT. The mold I am getting is actually a 252435, I will have to see if I can pick up a Lyman Cast 3rd ed.

Thanks!

BCB
08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I was only aware of two Lee manuals, I have the second edition. I was hoping to load with Unique. I load these guys now with 35gr GDHP, but wanted something that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, cause I shoot these little buggers A LOT. The mold I am getting is actually a 252435, I will have to see if I can pick up a Lyman Cast 3rd ed.

Thanks!

The load for Unique as listed in the 3rd Edition is:

1.2 @ 470 fps TO 1.6 @ 660 fps...

A 2" barrel was used to get the velocity...

But, ain't they all 2" barrels?...

I have loaded mine using the Hornady 35 XTP using Bullseye and HP-38 (maybe others) and I simply didn't even keep data on them, that I can find...

Accuracy was atrocious at an amazing distance of 10 feet...

'Course that was from a N.I.E. Titan model of nearly 35 years ago!!!

Could they have made them any cheaper--maybe a true Saturday Night Special...

Still, I would not want to get hit with the 35 XTP at arms reach...

Good-luck...BCB

AZ-JIM
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
RCBS CB manual has data for it also...

az-jim

shotman
08-22-2011, 11:20 PM
.7 that is 7 tenths bullseye and the lead works good . Big problem is the .7 you need a trickler or I bought a RSBS electric one and it works good .
i have a colt , old one and it never shot jackets very good . the lead does great
I dont size and lee lube .

dougader
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
No lead bullet data, but Lyman 49th has 25 auto data with j-word bullets. I have been using 1.2 - 1.4 grains WW231 for years with good results. Never saw any reason to change. My pocket pistol is a Beretta 950 BS.

With the 50 grain fmj, Lyman 49th lists 1.2 - 1.6 grains Unique.

runfiverun
08-24-2011, 01:09 AM
with velocities in the 650 fps range i really wouldn't worry about using cast in a jaxketed load.
unless i had to really seat them deep.

turbo1889
08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Not all 25-ACP guns have 2" barrels. I have one with an 8" barrel that is one of my favorite plinkers that will outshoot most 22-lr guns.

My mold is home-made and produces a two diameter stepped bullet with the back half of the boolit about 0.453" diameter and the front half a slightly smaller (by 1/64) bore riding nose that has a point shaped like a drill bit tip point (guess what I used to made the mold :) ) no lube grooves just tumble lube them in 3:1 JPW/X-lox

I use a full case compressed load of AA#5 using a Lee Auto Disk measure with the micro charge grey disk insert. I don't have a clue what the charge is by weight I just know it works and that AA#5 is slow burning enough compared to what is usually used for the 25-ACP that you can't get enough inside the case to produce a load that is over pressure limits unless you used super heavy depleted uranium bullets or something else along those lines that was really crazy.