PDA

View Full Version : Ideal #2 lube sizer

NoZombies
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have one? I'd love to see photos and description of it.

I've owned and used the Lyman #1 #45 #450 #4500, Modern Bond, RCBS, Saeco, Herters, Meepos, Star and at least one other I can't recall right now. I have never seen the Ideal #2, and I've been curious about it ever since reading about it in an old ideal handbook.

If anyone has anything they could share about it, I would be much obliged. Thanks!

Bent Ramrod
08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
You might check with Pressman or Floodgate, either with a PM here, or on the Antique Reloading Tools website. I know Floodgate found an Ideal Armory Press and wrote it up for the Newsletter. They would be the two most likely to have found the bullet sizer that went with it.

Pressman
08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
The big Armory press based lube sizer is rare, so rare that no one seems to have one.
I am sure there is one out there some where, but where???????
Ken

NoZombies
08-24-2011, 01:36 AM
I was afraid that might be the case... I guess my search now continues...

Mk42gunner
08-24-2011, 05:19 AM
The big Armory press based lube sizer is rare, so rare that no one seems to have one.
Ken

There might be a few left in old National Guard Armories, but my money says they were all thrown into dumpsters about the time the NG were issued Garands.

Either that or they are in the back of the supply room where the suply clerks have absolutely no idea what they are, but they need to keep them because they are on a 100 year old custody card.

Robert

Pigslayer
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM

I've owned and used the Lyman #1 #45 #450 #4500, Modern Bond, RCBS, Saeco, Herters, Meepos, Star and at least one other I can't recall right now. I have never seen the Ideal #2, and I've been curious about it ever since reading about it in an old ideal handbook.

If anyone has anything they could share about it, I would be much obliged. Thanks!

I have a rare Modern Bond. I originally thought that it was a Lyman #1

Pressman
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Pigslayer, I just noticed that yours has a set screw in the front to hold the die, like a lyman. Mine has a screw on the top and Lyman dies will not work in it.
I am thinking yours is newer.
ARTCA is working on putting together a Modern Bond time line for all their tools, but it is BIG job.
Ken

Pigslayer
10-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Pigslayer, I just noticed that yours has a set screw in the front to hold the die, like a lyman. Mine has a screw on the top and Lyman dies will not work in it.
I am thinking yours is newer.
ARTCA is working on putting together a Modern Bond time line for all their tools, but it is BIG job.
Ken

According to manleyjt (on this site) it is newer. It seems that he has one like mine. At present I am having two extra #45 dies turned down to fit the Modern Bond. The groove for the set screw will be the same. The diameter of the Lyman #45 dies is a little too big but I found a machinist who will modify them.

Pressman
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Good, that was my next step, ask Jeremy. He did a comparison of his and mine this spring.
Keep us informed as to how the turned down dies work out.
Ken

NoZombies
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Just a bump in case someone has one, but hasn't seen the thread.

scrapcan
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Tony,

I have not heard of one being in hand either. I had this strange thought that I needed to start a sizer collection, but I have far too shallow of a bank account!

I have several on my list that you own, plus a few others I have not heard you mention as to owning. One being a pitzer.

And on the Modern Bond theme

Just so everyone knows, the modern bond that I have came from NoZombies. And yes it is a newer version than the one Pressman or the Pigslayer have. Also interesting to note that Ken's is a machine tool grey color instead of the modern bond green. The one now in my possession is a darker green than Pigslayer's. Based on a comparision of powder measures also loaned to me for display and research, I would say the progression of age would be pressman's, Pigslayer's, and then on the one in my care.

Other than the difference in the die holder screw there were no other major differences noted. Pressman's was in such good shape that I did not look to see if it was made of bronze. Pigslayer is yours bronze or is it cast steel, from the picture is does not look like it is bronze? if bronze was used that would definitely give us a timeline as it would follow the change over in the Model C.

NoZombies
12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Jeremy,

My desire to collect things is often trumped by my inability to afford them... that's why part of the statement was that I do or HAVE owned all of those lube-sizers. I've sold off a number of them to make room for the others. I doubt I could justify buying a Lyman #2 if it came around, unless I got it for a yard-sale price. But I sure would like to see one!

Pressman
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Jeremy I really NEED a Pitzer. They are Iowa made about 50 miles from the house. Need one!

Ken

scrapcan
12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Ken,

I had on in hand about 10 years ago and did not have the money to purchase it. It came with 10 sizing dies also. It is still here in town, but I have been unable to locate it's owner. He was in bad health an d no one seems to know his where about. I will continue the quest though.

Pressman
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Jeremy the last one I saw on eBay went well in excess of $100. There were plenty of bidders also. Apparently there are some castboolits members who know what it is and really like it.

I still want one.
Ken

scrapcan
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
They are quite the production sizer. The one that I got to use was a wonderful tool that the owner used to load huge amounts of 45 acp. all bullets sized on the pitzer.

I kick myself everytime I think about not going to the bank and buying the thing right then and there.

NoZombies
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
You guys got photos of the pitzer sizers? inquiring minds want to know...

scrapcan
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Tony,

Try this old thread for a picture of the pitzer

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17528&highlight=pitzer

NoZombies
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Jeremy,

That's really interesting, partly due to the design, and partly because I've used that exact sizer, but with a different brand name on it (retailer brand, I don't recall, but I think it may have been brownells?). I too kick myself for not buying the one I had the opportunity to use, though my Star and Meepos sizers do right by me for production speed.

Bradley
12-15-2011, 06:58 PM

As best as I ever knew there was the Lyman Armory L/s and then the number 45. You sure that there was a number 1 and a number 2?

Pressman
12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
The Ideal #2 is based on the big Ideal Armory press frame. It is very rare. Ther #1 is the forerunner of the #45. It is quite common being produced untill 1946.
Ken

Bradley
12-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Ken

Last time I knew, quite a few years ago, there was one at Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque. If you call, talk to Ron. The store clerks will have no idea what you are talking about.