PDA

View Full Version : 22 auto pistol

krag35
08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
My Bride has taken a shine to my MKII standard model, so I am in the market for a new pistol for me.

This pistol will be used for plinking and maybe some hunting.

I have narrowed my choices down to either the Browning buckmark Micro, or the Ruger 22/45 4" slabside bbl.

I have some limited experience with the Buckmarks, all good, but it was years ago and with a long bull bbled one.

I have owned several Ruger rimfire autos, and all were very reliable and accurate. The only downside to them, is the reassembly.

Looking for reveiws, and comments on both.

TIA
Krag35

sleeper78
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a MKII 22/42 with the 5.5 inch heavy barrel. I absolutely love it. It was the first pistol I ever bought and I still have and shoot it. I've put untold thousands of rounds through it and I've only had one problem with it. The firing pin rebound spring broke on it once. I ordered a new one plus some spares and it was back in working order in no time.
I consistently shoot 6-7 inch groups with it with a standing 2 handed grip at 25yds. I've practiced for bulls eye matches with it and with lots of concentration I've managed 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards at an indoor range with subsonic match ammo using the one handed bulls eye stance.
I have nothing bad to say about this pistol. I love this pistol!

9.3X62AL
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
The re-assembly sequence for the Ruger 22 LR pistols are their ONLY down-side. In terms of gun received per dollar spent, the Ruger is hands-down the best buy a-going. Gotta spend a LOT more money to receive only micro-better accuracy and reliability.

If you can scare up a SIG Trailside pistol, these shot very well for me. They are still in production by their generic maker Hammerli, marketed as the Hammerli "X-Esse". Get your wallet prepped, MSRP runs 700-750 bones.

HeavyMetal
08-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Another plug for the Ruger 22 pistol!

I also agree with the idea that you'll need to spend a whole lot more dough for a very marginal performance imporvement.

The 22/45 is a gun I will own someday If I get one at the right price! Until then the 3 I currently own will keep me happy!

kyle623
08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
I like the 22/45 as well. great gun other than the assembly pains. another pistol you might consider is the sw 22A. its a good pistol as well and not that expensive.

Bret4207
08-24-2011, 07:59 AM
I have a Mk3 22/45 bull barrel. It's the only gun I've seen that will almost out shoot my FILs High Standard Supermatic. I don't know about the takedown and reassy issues because mine hasn't needed any thing beyond a little Break Free and compressed air.

NickSS
08-25-2011, 05:28 AM
I have a ruger 22/45 MkIII with a slab sided barrel that shoots quite well. To date I have put several bricks of ammo through it and have yet to have a jam caused by anything except a dud round. I have never had it appart but do clean the bore about every 500 rounds worth. I also owned a buckmark and they are really nice quality pistols as well. I have been looking at one of them that has a 4 inch slab sided barrel for several months mow and if I had the money I would buy it not that I would get rid of the Ruger though.

shooterg
08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
The new Ruger .22/45 with the wood grips sure is purty. One version now comes threaded, cool if you like suppressors. Wish Ramline would come out with a 14 shot mag for 'em, like you useta could get for the MKII's.

doubs43
08-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Would you like to have your Ruger back; the one your wife has taken? Then find a nice Colt Woodsman like the one below (Sport model) or the longer barrel Target model. They can be had for under $400 and will retain their value. The quality is first rate and they're accurate. Field stripping is quick and easy; reassembly is too. John Browning designed it.

Once she has wrapped her fingers around the grip and fired a few rounds, you'll be lucky if she even lets you touch it. She'll return the Ruger and you'll both be happy!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/doubs43/1942ColtWoodsmanSport2.jpg

fishnbob
08-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Would you like to have your Ruger back; the one your wife has taken? Then find a nice Colt Woodsman like the one below (Sport model) or the longer barrel Target model. They can be had for under $400 and will retain their value. The quality is first rate and they're accurate. Field stripping is quick and easy; reassembly is too. John Browning designed it.

Once she has wrapped her fingers around the grip and fired a few rounds, you'll be lucky if she even lets you touch it. She'll return the Ruger and you'll both be happy!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/doubs43/1942ColtWoodsmanSport2.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing a Colt Woodsman for under $400! What's the chance I can get you to broker me a deal on one for less than $400?:shock:

Multigunner
08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Iver Johnson manufactured a straight forward clone of the Colt woodsman. I belive these were marketed as the "Trailsman". Only criticizm of these that I've heard was that the finish had a purple cast to it and was blotchy.
Otherwise they got good marks.

doubs43
08-26-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't remember ever seeing a Colt Woodsman for under $400! What's the chance I can get you to broker me a deal on one for less than $400?:shock:

That one cost me $385 OTD at auction two years ago. I just got a 1st Series Target model (std vel. only) made in 1928 for $395 two weeks ago. The one below is identical to it except for the trigger. (This one was bought new by my father and is now mine.) They're out there if you look and have a bit of patience.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/doubs43/Woodsman.jpg

missionary5155
08-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Good morning
At today´s prices.. I would get the Ruger and happily buy lots of .22´s with the savings if I was going new gun. Used.. get the Ruger and buy cases of ammo with the savings.
Mike in Peru

hedgehorn
10-07-2011, 11:09 PM
a ruger or a buckmark. Can't go wrong with either

cabezaverde
10-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I have a Buckmark slab side and really like it. Check one out before you buy anything. As accurate, and much better out of the box trigger when compared to the Rugers.

flounderman
10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
you don't have to reassemble the ruger if you don't take it apart. it will work just fine without taking it apart. if it isn't broke don't try to fix it. the ruger doesn't give problems unless someone causes it. thats how I got my last one. someone had to take it apart and put it together wrong.

crabo
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I also have the 22/45. I really did not like the way it felt in my hand, even though I have a 1911 addiction. I put the Houge Handall on it and it makes a great difference in the way it feels to me.

There is a guy over on Rimfire Central that machines the Mark IIs so they will take 1911 grips.

MT Gianni
10-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I have a S&W 22 A that is a good shooter. My mark one is it's equal but you see these on sale for around $200 ocasionally and take down is much easier than a Ruger.

jh45gun
10-14-2011, 01:58 AM
I have a S&W 22 A that is a good shooter. My mark one is it's equal but you see these on sale for around $200 ocasionally and take down is much easier than a Ruger.

I have one as well and I like the fact that the slide is already permanently set up with a rail for mounting a scope or red dot. Very accurate. I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot with a adjustable reticule on mine. I have owned several MK 1's and IIs over the years including a Gov Target Model and this Smith shoots as well as my Target model did.

gnoahhh
10-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I'll chime in on the side of a good used Woodsman. The last two I bought, within the last three years, were both under $400. One of them cost $250- a pre-war 4½" barrel one. Deals on the .22 autoloading pistol that set the standard for accuracy and reliability way back when, and which can hold its own with new designs, can certainly be had with a little savvy shopping. At that point you'll have something that'll hold its value as well as never let you down.

jh45gun
10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Not that many Woodsmans out there I have seldom ever seen any in the gun shops or gun shows I have been to. One of the other guns mentioned like the Smith or the Ruger or Browning are easier to get and cheaper. As much as I do not like some Rugers because of issues the MK series they got right they are good guns though I prefer my Smith better. I never have shot a Buckmark but they seem to be well liked by those that do.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I usually use a couple of S&W 41's (2 different barrel lengths) and a HS Supermatic Trophy, but my plinker is an old Ruger Mark I with a bull barrel. It shoots very well, but not quite as accurately as the others. Many folks complain about reassembly of the Ruger Mark models, and there is one step that is a bit tricky, but if you master it then there is never a problem again. Stare at it/study it for a few moments. It involves centering the short hammer strut prior to seating the assembly back up into the frame. The first thing that you need is patience, the second thing is good lighting and the third is a straightened paper clip. The clip is to keep the strut centered in between the 2 little splines as you tilt the frame back up to vertical ( or you can do it horizontally) and then squeeze the assembly up into place. If for any reason you miss, do the cussing and then try again. After you get it right, then take it apart 3-4 more more times for practice, then feel good and never worry about it again. LLS

shovel80
10-17-2011, 10:50 PM
I've had three Ruger...Mk 1's and 2's...I've had a Very nice Colt Huntsman I think it was...I've had a Wonderful High Standard....Military....and now the Only one I have is a Browning Buck Mark!...It is a Very Accurate Shooter With a Great Trigger pull!...The Rugers I've owned didn't have good Trigger Pulls...Don't remember the Colt so Well, But, the Old High Standard..I think it was a Model 109 Military...I'd LOVE to have That one Back!!!

Terry