PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Copper

DukeInFlorida
08-22-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't know where else to post this. Hope this area will serve.

Here's the scenario. . . .

I have been smelting range lead, and have accumulated a ton (almost literally) of skimmed off copper jackets from the jacketed bullets.

The local scrap metal places do not want them. By my way of thinking, they are perhaps #3 copper, same as the stuff with solder that they get from the plumbing trade. But they don't want the stuff.

So, I'm considering setting up a smelter, and turning the copper into ingots, and bringing those in for scrap metal. Has anyone here done any work with melting down copper?

While annealing some brass for swaging last Winter, I tried placing the brass in a steel bread pan, and placed it inside my wood stove. It was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hot, and I got a puddle of molten brass in the bread pan. Would like to do bigger batches than that though.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

imashooter2
08-22-2011, 07:48 AM
What assurance do you have that after all the trouble, the yard will take the ingots?

Copper melts just below 2,000 degrees F. Your best bet would be to construct a charcoal fueled blast furnace. Some information on backyard foundries here:

http://backyardmetalcasting.com/

docone31
08-22-2011, 08:11 AM
You can melt copper with a plumbers torch.
http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/PROFESSIONALTORCHES/tabid/230/ctl/Detail/mid/1009/xmid/6940/xmfid/3/Default.aspx
When I cast, I use one of those.
Next, you will need a crucble, or melting dish
http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=22.791
With that, and some borax, you can at least make "buttons" of copper.
The lead will vaporize, and the copper will melt.
This will be slow, but if you do it a little every day, it will get done.
Those torches do pretty well for me.

DukeInFlorida
08-22-2011, 08:30 AM
The lead will vaporize???

That can't be good..............

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Duke,
I don't know about my local scrappers,
but others here have sold that copper for near $4 per lb as skimmed,
It might be worth it for you to offer these skimmed jackets
in our swappin' section...wouldn't it ?
Jon

DukeInFlorida
08-22-2011, 09:14 AM
That's a thought. Wonder how many pounds I can get in a large flat rate box. Might have to flatten them to get more in.

That's why I was thinking of making them into molten copper and then into ingots. That would be pretty dense.

Duke,
I don't know about my local scrappers,
but others here have sold that copper for near $4 per lb as skimmed,
It might be worth it for you to offer these skimmed jackets
in our swappin' section...wouldn't it ?
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
My thoughts is...
it'd take lots of energy/fuel to smelt them.
Shipping may look cheap.

I'd find a buyer first...make sure his scrapper doesn't have
an issue with them flattened, then use a 16 lb maul on a flat concrete or steel surface.
Jon

Kskybroom
08-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Here copper is $3.11 Lbs
For $6220.00 Id find another scrap yard..
Send a copy of the receipt to the scrap yard ...

frkelly74
08-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I got $2 per lb last week. They classed it as plumbers brass because it looked soldered I guess. I wished I had a ton to sell at that price but only had 9 lbs. Check with another scrapper before investing a lot of work and fuel into it.

DukeInFlorida
08-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Have checked with all the scrappers here in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. Nobody wants the stuff. Most of the places wouldn't even let me leave it on their property, not even for free. I don't get it. But that's the way they are.

Heck, they don't even want the aluminum CCI type pistol cases. Have buckets and buckets of that also. Whatever I build for a way of making copper ingots should also be able to handle aluminum.

So, no one here with actual experience with smelting at the higher temps, eh?

docone31
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Duke, I melt at high tempurature a lot. I do castings. It is not so bad.
With the crucible I showed you, and the torch, you can melt a suprising amount. You will need to let the button cool, then reheat so it can be moved then take it out. As you amount goes up, your BTU recquirements also go up. That site to the forge in post #2 is also a good one.
I have looked at the site before, and it is pretty comprhensive. Aluminum is also easy to melt down. While doing the Blazer cases, you can also toss in aluminum chairs, scraps, etc.
Hey, who knows, you might have some fun. Might even be a cottage industry starting for you. Sand casting aluminum pieces.
Why not?

Wayne Smith
08-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Be aware of enviromnental issues if you do this. If lead gasses off it's gonna hit the ground somewhere close. This is pollution. Your local environmental people will require you to clean it up and that's quite expensive - hauling tons of dirt and treating it. I don't know what other potential pollutants you will be using but you do need to know and how to handle them.

LOML is a geologist for the Department of Environmental Quality - This is a serious but managable issue. Just know how to manage it before you start.

ReloaderFred
08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
My recycler classes bullet jackets as #2 copper. They want all the steel and lead removed from it, which is reasonable. I use a very strong magnet to remove the steel jackets and I make sure any clumps of lead left from smelting are removed. They have no qualms at all taking the jackets, and the prices are good for it.

Exide Batteries is one of the largest recyclers in the world and they have a recycling center in Reading, PA. You might give them a call and see if they will take it. A truck load of copper might be worth the drive. They are also one of the larger lead suppliers, so they may be interested in trading, but I don't know that for a fact.

Hope this helps.

Fred

mold maker
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
The last clean jackets, I took to recycle, traded as #2 plumbers brass. I traded it for lead at 3-1. My already loaded truck just barely hauled the lead back home. Glad I didn't have to cross any truck scales.

DukeInFlorida
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
The former forum that was backyardmetalcasting.com is now :
http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php

What assurance do you have that after all the trouble, the yard will take the ingots?

Copper melts just below 2,000 degrees F. Your best bet would be to construct a charcoal fueled blast furnace. Some information on backyard foundries here:

http://backyardmetalcasting.com/

largecaliberman
09-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't know where else to post this. Hope this area will serve.

Here's the scenario. . . .

I have been smelting range lead, and have accumulated a ton (almost literally) of skimmed off copper jackets from the jacketed bullets.

The local scrap metal places do not want them. By my way of thinking, they are perhaps #3 copper, same as the stuff with solder that they get from the plumbing trade. But they don't want the stuff.

So, I'm considering setting up a smelter, and turning the copper into ingots, and bringing those in for scrap metal. Has anyone here done any work with melting down copper?

While annealing some brass for swaging last Winter, I tried placing the brass in a steel bread pan, and placed it inside my wood stove. It was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hot, and I got a puddle of molten brass in the bread pan. Would like to do bigger batches than that though.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Like what DukeinMaine said. WATCH OUT FOR THE LEAD VAPORS!!! one breath of that is dangerous.

imashooter2
09-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh no, one breath is dangerous! Don't let all the students, that were taught to solder in close proximity with other students, nor the Instructors that taught them, that they were exposed to dangerous vapors. Just what we need, more frivolous lawsuits clogging up the court systems. Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Lead doesn't vaporize at soldering or lead casting temperatures. Everybody here knows that.

But it sure as hell does vaporize at copper melting temperatures. You should know that and you should also know that breathing lead vapor is a serious health risk

Salmon-boy
09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Duke,
I've got LOTS of time in melting aluminum with a backyard foundry. The CCI blazer cases melt nicely into ingots very easily.

I've got a new furnace built specifically for getting up to copper temps, but I've not had the chance to get the crucible tongs built. Been working far too much!!

imashooter2
09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Don't like Sarcasm, huh?

That didn't look like sarcasm to me. It looked like you ridiculing the previous post using soldering as a straw man to support an incorrect and dangerous position regards lead vapor at copper melt temperatures.

Jon
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Did you ever find someone to buy these? I have some that I need to get rid of as well.