PDA

View Full Version : Help from the 1911 gurus...

oldfart1956
08-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Fellers, my older brother is getting interested in 1911's so I loaned him mine just to see if he's really interested. No sense buying one if you don't like em' after trying one...eh? Anyway, he called to say he can't seem to get a magazine in the pistol unless he pushes the magazine release to do so. They eject fine, the pistol fires, extracts & ejects fine. I've never noticed the problem but haven't fired the gun in a while. Since he's 250 miles away I figgered I'd ask here first. Now, if it matters...this is a 1911....not a 1911A1. It's an original 1911 ser. # 10xxx made in late 1913/early 1914. Is there any common solutions to this or do ya'll suppose he's just not shoving them in there hard enough? Should the slide be locked back before inserting the magazine? Would that matter? Thanks in advance for all the help guys. Audie...the Oldfart.

Bad Water Bill
08-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I just checked my #18XXXX. With a bump to the bottom of it the mag will go home. If you push the release button the mag slides home as easily as sliding a hot knife thru butter.

MtGun44
08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Pretty normal if he is inserting a fully loaded mag into a gun with the slide forward. Needs
a good bump to seat it. If this is a problem, have him lock the slide back first, either
manually or with an empty mag. Then put in the loaded mag, which should take near zero
effort and drop the slide, don't let it down, but let is snap home freely driven by the recoil
spring. Some want to "let" the slide forward easily, and this is a mistake, it is intended
to work by going forward without restriction, so let it go when you are loading.

One, thing. Take care of that 1911 - they are getting pretty valuable thise days if in
good original condition. You might be shocked to know what that thing is worth if you
sell it. Depending on exactly what it is and the condition (all original parts and finish
are the best) it could be easily worth $1500-3000. You may want to buy a new Ruger
1911 or Kimber or one of the many modern 1911 versions for everyday shooting and keep
the old war horse held back just for special occasions.

As far as him learning about whether he wants one from an original 1911, the hammer
may bite him and the sights on all new ones are a whole lot better. The product improved
new 1911 pistols are a lot more user friendly compared to the 1911s, which are pretty much
collector's items these days.

Bill

Carolina Cast Bullets
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
May I add my $.02?

Wont matter what you say, I'm gonna add it anyway.

You might want to take a look at the Taurus PT1911. It comes from the factory with all
the "bells and whistles" of a high dollar 1911 type and at half to 2/3's the price. I own one
in SS and it is a shooter. It will feed/shoot anything I can fit in the mag and, shoot it well.

My usual boolit is the Lee 230 grain TC tumbled with 45/45/10 loaded over a mid range
quantity of HP38. I prefer not to quote my exact loads but some research should get you
where I am..

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Carolina Cast Bullets
08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
If you look the the left at my avatar, you can see that 230 grain TC boolit.

gray wolf
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
For a right handed shooter, Insert the mag with left hand, ( OK oversimplified )
The mag should go in about 1/2 way and then you should feel a little resistance.
A little bump with the palm of the left hand and the mag should go in with just a little effort felt from the mag rubbing against the slide stop. make sure it clicks into place.
Not a good idea to drop the slide on an empty chamber, it can damage the sear,hammer relationship.

firefly1957
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
What the others have said seems the same with my 111XXX gun , He might check for dirt or lint in magazine well and take grips off to see if oil is hardened around release.

oldfart1956
08-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Fellers thanks for all the replys. I did speak to him today and told him to do a field-strip and clean everything up and light lube then get back to shooting. I haven't shot the pistol since 2006 when I inherited it from my father so I'm a little fuzzy on it. He did mention he's suffering from severe hammer-bite! HAW!HAW!HAW! Every shot. He's got huge meaty hands...like catchers-mitts. And thanks as well for the advice on the value of the pistol. I had it appraised by my 'smith...right before he put a set of Bo-Mar sights on it. (no modifications and I saved the orig. sights) The monetary value of the pistol is a moot point. My father carried it on 2 tours in 'Nam...it'll never be sold. No doubt he will be looking for one with a beavertail in the near future. LOL Again, many thanks. Audie..the Oldfart..