PDA

View Full Version : Sterling X-caliber

TDB9901
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a Sterling X-caliber?? It was only produced for a few years, I believe in the late 70's or early 80's as competition to T-C's Contender.

I have only seen reference to barrels in both .22 rimfires .357 and .44 mag. although there may have been others. Frame is convertable from RF to CF.

I aquired one in .357, and am considering having the chamber deepened to Max dimensions. Shoots pretty good with what I've tried in it so far....in spite of rotten trigger. Otherwise seems solid and pretty well made. Leupold 2x scope that came on it probably worth more that gun.

Thanks
Tom

fourarmed
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Those are pretty rare - which doesn't necessarily mean valuable. I know of one other, and it is also a .357. It's your gun, but I would not rechamber it. There's not a lot that a max will do in a short barrel that a mag won't, and rechambering in my experience pretty much ruins it for shooting mags. I have a rechambered Merrill barrel, and not a day passes that I don't wish it was a mag.

TDB9901
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks.
It is something to think about. The barrel is only a 10" so that could be a deciding factor.

357maximum
01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Seeing as how its a 10 incher i would leave er be...and be happy with the mag, especially in the rarer sterling... That was hard for me to say...I am quite fond of the max.....obviously...

If i were you i would get a g2 contender or encore in 357mag and have THAT converted to the max in a 15 inch barrel...I do not like the tc factory max forcing cone arrangement..so i would go buy a mag barrel and have someone who understands such things reamit out to max...Mike bellm might be able to help if he is not too busy.....

.better yet have a max barrel made by OTT, SSK in what you want....I would not go any shorter than 14 inches though....when it comes down to it, its your money....but that is what I would do......I will never let my Match grade machine 15 max barrel go anywhere, but i have heard some bad stories of the quality control over at MGM, lately...could be just stories, but it pops up with enough regularity on different boards to make me go HMMMM...

Mike over at OTT cuts his chambers with EDM equipment, and will match it exactly to your dummy round if you wish...he understands throating arrangements real well also...He will also do your rechamber..If mr bellm is too busy...might be a little wait, but from what i have seen of his work..it is worth waiting for..

there you go...thats my 11 cents worth......inflation and all..

Michael

TDB9901
01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Good points all. Thank you!! They are apparently rarer than I thought. Only made for a couple of years before company went under IIRC.

If they weren't so hard to find, I'd like to have a .44 barrel, and maybe have one sleeved and chambered for a .22....Hornet or Bee for example. I'll probably just have to break down someday, and get a TC.

Elmo
12-10-2017, 05:07 PM
I have one in 7mm international R. An IHMSA round. 30-30 necked to 7mm case blown our and shoulder moved foreward. Very similar to a 7 Waters.
Elmo