PDA

View Full Version : Modern Bond

Olevern
08-21-2011, 08:23 PM
On vacation and accompanied the wife and daughter, son-in-law etc. to a large flea market. Discovered a Modern Bond 2 cav. mold on a table, looked like it had some surface rust cleaned up with a wire brush, but all in all not too bad. Might be salvagable if I can find or have made a new spru plate.

Was going to walk away but at $4.00, well, couldn't resist.

If nothing else I have a nice paper weight with some history.

BCall
08-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't have a sprue plate for ya, but i don't think it would be too hard to make one. I've got a couple of Modern Bond molds already. If'n you can't find a sprue plate though, I'd buy the mold from you if you decide you don't want it.

BCall
08-21-2011, 08:31 PM
This one's a bit rough on top, but just to show what the original looks like. If I had some one to make me a couple of thicker ones, I'd give you one of the originals. They are pretty thin, at least the ones I have are.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851759.jpg

Olevern
08-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Yup, Bcall, that's the one. Looks like the Saeco the way the plate is hinged. Don't think I'll sell it, I'm only into it for four bucks...and for that price it makes a nice conversation piece or paper weight if nothing else.

jameslovesjammie
08-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I also have a couple of Modern Bond moulds. I think if you can get a sprue plate you will like it.

largom
08-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Place a piece of 320 "wet or dry" sand paper on a piece of glass or other VERY flat surface paper side down. Wet the sand paper and then using equal pressure rub your sprue plate in a figure 8 rotation on the sand paper just enough to clean it up. Do both sides if needed and then if you like cold blue it.

Larry

Wayne Smith
08-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Couple of guys here could make you a sprue plate easily. Buckshot comes to mind as does Delta Enterprises, others will probably chime in.

georgewxxx
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
All the double cavity Modern Bond's I have have sprue plates that'll interchange with Hensley & Gibbs moulds. Screws are a different issue, but a trip to Ace hardware will get you started with those.

scrapcan
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
And then you will have to come up with a set of handles if you don't have one. Maybe adapt another set to work with the mould.

Lively Boy
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I've got 7 of the Modern Bond molds they all cast good. managed to score 3 handles i sure like them. hope yours works good for you!

georgewxxx
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't know how much difference there is in Modern Bond moulds, but my .22 cal MB mould is on a set of Lyman handles. I 've never tried to see if others are the same.