PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt SAA

454PB
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
A friend of my son brought an old Colt SAA with a five digit serial number to me for digital photos. He is trying to figure out when this gun was built, and some kind of value for insurance purposes. I'm no Colt expert, but I believe this was made sometime in the 1890's. It has very little bluing left, and 7 notches cut into the bottom of the barrel. It is in very good shape other than lack of bluing and a heavy wear mark on one side of the muzzle, obviously from a lot of holster wear.

I recommended to him that he contact Colt and send some of these pictures, in high resolution of course.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6743/1000059small1yy.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5779/1000063small8wc.jpg

C1PNR
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
The only comment I have is that it looks like a Black Powder era frame. The screw holding the cylinder pin in place comes up from the front of the frame, rather than the side.

My understanding, and I could very well be wrong, is that that frame is not as heavily built as the later models.

Is it shootable? I'd love to have one like that, but I don't think SWMBO wants me to take out a second mortgage on the house.:roll:

454PB
01-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Yes, it's a blackpowder gun, and shootable as far as I can tell. I would have liked to take the cylinder out and look everything over, but I was not about to ask. From what I can see without disassembly, it's clean and pit free.

The owner got it from his dad, and says his dad shot it quite a bit 30 years ago.

Dale53
01-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Those old black powder revolvers are just junk. To keep your friend out of trouble, I'll pay the freight for him to send it to me for "disposal"....[smilie=1:

Black powder frames are wrought iron and really shouldn't be shot because of their value.

This may be a seriously valuable piece. Check the latest issue of "Blue Book Of Gun Values". Some of these pieces are worth THOUSANDS. The serial number will tell.

Dale53

Sagebrush Burns
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
With a five digit serial number, it was made no later than 1883. The picture looks like the barrel is about 6 1/2", not a standard length. Old Colts in good shape are always valuable and some are extremely so. Colt factory letters are $200 (or maybe more now) but are worthwhile documentation. Insurance value would be at least $2000.