PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Help

OTThomas
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Walked into a local gun store today looking for some deals, was searching through the rows of 91/30's and found 2 that caught my eye. One is a 1927 CCCP 91/30 (I think this is an ex dragoon?), not in bad shape but still not the prettiest. The other is a MO stamped 1933/49, this one is in better shape than the other. Both rifles are $130.00, both are Tula arsenal, both are hex receivers, both have all matching numbers and both have nice bores. I have the store holding them in the back for me, what are your opinions on which is better.

JeffHolt
08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Definely the 1927cccp. You are correct it is an ex-dragoon and considered more collectable. Is the bayonet matching also?. It was upgraded to 91/30 in 1930 or near that time. Check the bolt also to be sure it wasn't rebuilt using other (IZZY) arsenal parts. Each plant had its own inspection marks on the bolt pcs.
Odds are this gun was again refurbished after the GPW and mothballed. Look also to see if there is an Importer's mark on the barrel or receiver. If it came here without one, it may be worth a little more. Send me a pic of it some time and we can see some other features that will give a little more insight. Ex-Dragoons are becoming harder to find and Dragoons even more so.

Jeff

OTThomas
08-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, I didn't look too hard for the bayo (The rifle was sitting in a crate along with misc. bayo's slings and dis assembly tools). I'll look at the bolt when I go back. And yes there is importation marks on the receiver unfortunately.

Thanks again.

wallenba
08-21-2011, 08:05 PM
When in doubt, buy both. I have a 1927 hex myself. It is one of the better ones I have.