PDA

View Full Version : reloading table?

garbear
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I am in need of a new reloading table. I have a huge load of 2X4 from a remodel job I was on. I have enough lumber to build a 12X16 foot chicken coop 16X16 foot tack shed, and a 12x8' green house and I'll still have tons of 2x4's. I was wondering if I cut them in half ( cut them so they are 2X2 which is actually closer to 1 3/4 inch but you should get what I mean) then glue them together like butcher block if that would work for the top of my bench. My current bench is a microwave cart that is way to small for my needs now. I know butcher block is usually made with hard wood but figure this may work Any help please.
Garbear

OeldeWolf
08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Butcher block, with all that end grain, would probably not be the best, esp with pine. Get too many things soaking into it. Though a few coats of sdpar varnish might help that.

I would think longitudinal grain would stand up better to bolting things to it. Any other opinions?

BruceB
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Since you have "tons" of 2x4, why not make the top from 2x4 on -edge like this: IIIIIIIII?

By gluing and cross-bolting with all thread rods, you'd have a MONSTROUSLY heavy, rigid and strong bench-top. I did this for one bench I built, and it was extremely satisfactory.

I added a top surface of smooth-faced 1/2" plywood, but Melamine or other hard-faced (and cleanable!) material will also do fine....all the strength is in the sub-structure. 1/8" or 1/4" aluminum sheet also makes a VERY durable top surface.

I do recommend adding a smooth top surface, unless you are prepared to plane the top of the assembled boards to a nice finish. It's easier to add a smooth top layer glued AND screwed) than it is to plane-and-finish the 2x2 or 2x4 planks.

When the basic material for the bench is on-hand (and free), it allows spending some money for the stuff which isn't already on-site. You have an opportunity to build a bench "for the ages"....just don't expect it to be easily portable.

Ben
08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
garbear

Not a lot of money in this reloading bench. I helped build this one for a friend about 2 months ago:
Put together with 3 " drywall screws and construction adhesive. The top 8' X 3' in size and 34" high.
The top is made of 2 plys of 7/16 " plywood bonded together with construction adhesive and drywall screws into the 2 X 6 top framing.
A very strong and stable reloading bench. He has about 700 lbs of loaded ammo, cast bullets, ingots, etc. on the bottom shelf of the bench now which makes the bench basically immovable.

Not seen in these photos are 3 storage shelves ( 12" deep ) that run the full length of the bench and are secured to the wall above the reloading bench top .

I'd think that with all those 2 X 4's that you have , you could build something very similar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Reloading%20bench/05282011008.jpg

DCM
08-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Since you have "tons" of 2x4, why not make the top from 2x4 on -edge like this: IIIIIIIII?

By gluing and cross-bolting with all thread rods, you'd have a MONSTROUSLY heavy, rigid and strong bench-top. I did this for one bench I built, and it was extremely satisfactory.

I added a top surface of smooth-faced 1/2" plywood, but Melamine or other hard-faced (and cleanable!) material will also do fine....all the strength is in the sub-structure. 1/8" or 1/4" aluminum sheet also makes a VERY durable top surface.

I do recommend adding a smooth top surface, unless you are prepared to plane the top of the assembled boards to a nice finish. It's easier to add a smooth top layer glued AND screwed) than it is to plane-and-finish the 2x2 or 2x4 planks.

When the basic material for the bench is on-hand (and free), it allows spending some money for the stuff which isn't already on-site. You have an opportunity to build a bench "for the ages"....just don't expect it to be easily portable.

+1 on that! I have built benches very similar with excellent results. If possible ancor it to the wall and or floor too it will be solid as bedrock.

para45lda
08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
My first bench (not even gonna say what year that was) was made out of 2x4's on edge as described above. The problem I had was when I went to mount my presses it seemed like the holes seemed to always be too near an edge of a board. Remedied it by gluing and screwing a piece of 1/2" plywood to the top and the underside.

My current bench is very similar to the one pictured above. 2x6 frame with plywood tops and shelving.

Good luck as it seems we are always looking to improve our current setup.

Wes

Ickisrulz
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
My reloading bench top is made from 2x6s glued edge to edge. It's plenty strong. You could do the same with 2x4s.

If you glue them side to side as suggested above you can get the top level using a router or take it to a mill works shop and have them run it through a planer for you.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
And while your at it, build an under bench receiver system for you loading tool mounting!!!

Best idea I have ever seen or used.

AND, while your at it, make sure the bench is heavy or attached to the wall or floor. helps keep em from "walking" around if you have some heavy forming or?? to do.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

P.S. And, oh yes, I can send photographs of the under bench receiver system or try to remember where someone posted them for me.

Nueces
08-22-2011, 02:41 PM
A google image search turned up a number of hits, with this link that is the one I think CDO'C is thinking of:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116587

Mark

largom
08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
With all of your "free" 2x4's I would do as Bruce B. suggested and then cover the top with a sheet of Masonite. Just tack the Masonite down with brad nails and if and when the top gits wore out just replace it. I cover all of my work benches with Masonite [smooth side up] and in 10 years I have only replaced one top.

Larry

BruceB
08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I neglected to add that I inletted the 1/2" plywood top surface for a 1/2"-thick steel plate, 12" x 24".

Making a rather complex drawing showing the "footprints" of all my many and varied tools and machines, I gave the plan to a machinist amigo who drilled-and-tapped that plate in all the correct places, coated the plate with some magical epoxy compound to improve its appearance and prevent rust, and drilled-and-countersunk the edges for 1/2" diameter through-bench mounting bolts.

Just using cap screws for anchoring the tools gave me utterly-solid mounting, and an uncluttered work surface. The only tools needed were about three different-size Allen wrenches.

The only problem in this approach is that if small items (like primers) fall into the holes in the plate, they can be a problem to get out again.

I ended up boring holes from the BOTTOM of the bench-top up to the holes in the steel after making small-diameter pilot holes through the 2x4s from the top. 3/8"-diameter was ample for this, allowing stray primers to fall right through the bench. If I'd thought of this problem beforehand, I could have drilled the holes from the top before installing the steel.....MUCH easier!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
my bench is a real light weigh compared to what most of yours sound like i did 2x4 frame with 2x4 to make the top and covered the top with 5/8 in plywood then a strip of 1x as a trim board around the outside , i had to cut section of the 1x trim out for the press to mount and the ram to clear but it still leaves a nice edge

my dad has a old work bench that was built with 2 by laid edge to edge then Masonite tacked down on top of that and 1x6 trim boards around the out side makes for a very durable table and if you mar up the top you can have a new one for under 10 dollars.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Yep Nueces That is the one. I need you or a four year old to help me get around the net like some of you.

Thanks. :D

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Nueces
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Heh!

Mark

DCM
08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Way COOL receiver setup! CDOC

I may have to use that for future additions!

I will probably use that in my work shop too.

My son is my computer tech when I get over my head.(which is not hard to do with computers)