PDA

View Full Version : Who was Lachmiller?

canyon-ghost
08-21-2011, 02:48 PM
That's my question. Some of you long-time hands that were reloading before I started might have an idea. I have read up on Herter's and George Leonard Herter ( interesting man) and know they still make powder.

Some of these older companies that aren't on the advertising forefront are a bit difficult for me to identify. Anyone want to share memories? Did Lachmiller have a particular forte'?

Ron

swheeler
08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
"I have read up on Herter's and George Leonard Herter ( interesting man) and know they still make powder."

I don't think they have ever made any powder, marketed some yes.

Bent Ramrod
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Lachmiller made moulds, loading tools and dies. They went out of business in the '70's. RCBS picked up their casting stuff, the moulds and the sizer/lubricator, for selling under their own name.

Lachmiller stuff was typically painted Navy blue and their loading dies were blackened rather than polished or plated and came in a yellow pasteboard box with red lettering. Everything I've used that they made has been perfectly serviceable and a good step in quality above Herter's.

I think the old Herter's imported powder which they sold under their own name but I don't think they ever made any themselves. Somebody using Herter's name and their family crest now sells ammunition made in Eastern Europe.

Guesser
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Some Lachmiller dies were unplated, some were plated outside, probably industrial chrome, I have a set of 308 dies that are marked L.E.C. and are bright and shiney. About the molds; my early molds marketed by RCBS are marked Ohaus, as were their scales, I've never seen a L.E.C. mold in my part of the world. L.E.C. did loading equipment as a side line, they were first and fore most an engineering company, design and prototype for mass manufacturers. So I was told 40-50 years ago, no verification on my part, rumor central!!!!

BCall
08-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't really know what their forte was, but I know that they made some nice equipment before RCBS bought them out. I have 2 Lachmiller molds that are great molds, and are identical to current RCBS molds except for thinner handle slots. Handles have to be thinned down to work on them if you don't have an original set of Lachmiller handles. The Lube-a-Matic sizer they made that later became the RCBS Lube-a-Matic is my favorite type of sizer. I have an original Lachmiller, plus two of the RCBS LAM 1's. I wish RCBS still made the LAM 1 and not the newer LAM 2. I like it better.

I also have a couple of sets of their dies and they work quite well. My 303 Brit Lachmiller dies are better for my use as they seem to size the brass less.

Pavogrande
08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a lachmiller press and bench top priming tool -- Bought them used in the late '50s.
Herter press #3 is a close copy of the lachmiller.
The shellholders ( Herter & lach) are generally interchageble, the lachmiller holders for the priming tool have a slot across the bottom for the primer to feed from the tube holder. Bit of bother to load the tube.
Just sold a set of lachmiller dies today -- as mentioned, black, knurled steel nuts, and yellow box. As good as RCBS or any other dies of its day.
my tuppence

Kevin Rohrer
08-21-2011, 10:54 PM
RCBS also bought Lachmiller's bench-top primer tool Pavogrande mentioned. Here is mine:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0398.jpg

I only have a 30/06 shellholder for it and wish I could get them for a couple other calibers. I have yet to find on Ebay after >1-year of looking. The press works pretty well.

Pavogrande: I use Dillon primer feed tubes to load the Lachmiller.

obssd1958
08-21-2011, 11:25 PM
I have several Lachmiller 3-cavity moulds. All have handles and work great. I also have some Lachmiller die sets and a lubesizer. Even have both 16 and 12 Ga. shotshell reloading, 2 die sets, that I think will work in my rockchucker if I remove the bushing! Kinda' collect their stuff!
@Kevin Rohrer: What does the shell holder look like when it's not in the tool, and what are the dimensions? I have some shell holders that I'm not sure what they fit...

Take care!

Don

3006guns
08-21-2011, 11:33 PM
My Lachmiller lubrisizer is still going great since I got it new in 1971. The automatic gizmo that advanced the lube finally gave up the ghost, so now I just give the wrench a nudge to feed more lube. Other than that, a quality product all the way through.

Pavogrande
08-22-2011, 12:55 AM
I have the same primer as Kevin --
The proper shellholder sort of half grabs the case -- see kevins -- It also has a slot cut in the bottom surface to allow the primer to feed from the vertical tube.
If you don't mind a deeper rim portion, herter holders work fine - a mill cut across the bottom is easy enough. Might even be filed in if you have the energy and make the cut all across the base.
lachmiller/herter shellholders are 1" diameter at the rim catch, the portion in the ram is 3/4" diameter by 9/16" high with a groove for a set screw.
In my experience herter holders are plated, lachmiller are not.

JIMinPHX
08-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I only have a 30/06 shellholder for it and wish I could get them for a couple other calibers. I have yet to find on Ebay after >1-year of looking.

If you would like to send me your existing shell holder to look at as a sample, I may be able to help you out. Send me a PM for details if you would like to look into that possibility.

obssd1958
08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
So would any of these be for the primer?

(The small one at bottom right is a standard rcbs shellholder, just thrown in for scale)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/obssd1958/shooting/cast%20boolits%20related/102_0009.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/obssd1958/shooting/cast%20boolits%20related/102_0007.jpg

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Obssd:

Those that have a groove are probably for the Lachmiller. The right-hand one in the first row, and the left-hand one in the second row are definitely for the priming tool. Do they have a number stamped on them? I'll buy them if you want to sell.

The spring-loaded plunger you see on the back of my tool pushes a primer from the tube thru that slot onto the primer arm.

When I get home from work, I will take a pic and post it here.

Pressman
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
The big shellholder, bottom center is Herter's, all the rest are Lachmiller. They will all fit the priming tool, though not the auto feed primer.

Lachmiller had a press, primeing tool and powder measure advertersied in American Rifleman in early 1952, two years before the Herter'sodel press came out. They were sold to Penguin Ind then came back to the original owner. They had planned to offer a big, RCBS type press at the time RCBS bought them out. No presses were released to teh public for sale though they are pictured in Gun Digest.
Ken

canyon-ghost
08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
This has been an interesting thread. And you're probably right, they may have never made powder. But the history lesson has been interesting. That's all amazing to me, guess it shouldn't be.

Kevin Rohrer
08-23-2011, 09:23 AM
This is the shellholder for the 30/36, which is marked at the top. Sorry the photo is blurry. This shellholder has been used so much, the flat area cases slide into is badly chipped; cases are held only loosely.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0664.jpg

And this shows the back of shellholder.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0663.jpg

Kevin Rohrer
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Canyon-Ghost: You need to join ARCTA.

NoDakJak
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I am using a older model Lachmiller priming tool that uses a cam rather than compound linkage. Huntington once stated that the main reason he purchased Lachmiller was to obtain the rights to make the priming tool and that he hadn't originally intended to get involved in casting equipment.
Neil

Kevin Rohrer
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
My primer tool was made around 1953. If yours is older than that, I'd like to see a pic of it.

Pressman
08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Kevin, you have the original design primer tool, Neil has the newer (and much simplified) design.
The auto primer feed assembly was not carried over to the new design for some unknown reason.
Ken

Thin Man
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
I started reloading in 1970. Then in 1973 I took up casting when I bought a Lachmiller sizer (with several dies and top punches) and 13 molds from a guy who wanted to start swaging. Two of the molds from this deal are Lachmiller 3-cavity designs: 429-240K and 454-255 RF (Colt) patterns. The sizer and molds wearing the Lachmiller name are top quality products. Still have and use all these. I got this entire lot for the outrageous sum of $110. Lately I have been known to invest that much in a single GB mold, just to put things in perspective. Other people must also like the Lachmiller products, as you rarely see them for sale. I also got married in 1970. Still have the same wife and boolit sizer at home. When you find a winner, you don't let it get away from you!

Thin Man

Suo Gan
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Lachmiller (Owl)--->Ohaus--->RCBS

Lachmiller made excellent equipment and is the foundation of the RCBS casting line. Their molds are milled for thin handles so be aware of that if you buy one.

Mentalhawk
12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Mr. Henry W. (Hank) Lachmiller was a close friend of my family. He was born Sept. 8th, 1918 in Webster City Iowa, to Henry and Olga (Becker) Lachmiller. He was the 2nd youngest of 5 siblings. On Sept. 4th, 1938, Hank married the love of his life Ethel Hintz, whom he had known since she was in 3rd grade.
Hank served in the U.S. Army in 1944 during World War II. He was a farmer, a machinist, as well as inventor. He moved to California to start his Machine Shop business 1941. He was an avid sportsman and was the inventor of the "Lachmiller Rapid Shotgun Re-loader."
Hank ran his machine shop from 1941 until the end of the Vietnam War. His business was very successful, manufacturing various parts for the military, via the U.S. Government. It was the last deal he contracted to the U.S. Government, putting all his time & efforts into manufacturing parts for helicopters and procuring such contracts. It was shortly after gaining this contract that the Vietnam War ended, and the Government consequently canceled the contract which put Hanks Business into bankruptcy.
It was Hank that I bought my first Motorcycle from. Even after his Son Raphael was killed in a motorcycle accident, Hank wanted to ride Motorcycles. He bought himself a Honda CT-200 (90 cc), which he soon dropped and decided that even a small bike could hurt you, (He broke his leg), and then sold me the bike.
Hank & Ethel used to join my parents at their small cabin in Lake Arrowhead, Ca. and he and my father would work on building the cabin into a wonderful home next to a babbling brook on the mountain. Shortly there upon, Hank & Ethel bought the cabin 2 doors to the West of ours and Hank & My Father planned to retire there and spend their retirement fishing on Lake Arrowhead.
Hank & Ethel were some of the kindest, most compassionate people I have ever known, and their friendship with my family had a huge impact on mine & my families lives.
Hank passed away on Oct. 20th, 2012 at the age of 94 at his home in Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
Hank is survived by his daughter Tammy, and Son in-law Bob, and his Brother Ray Lachmiller: along with 7 grandchildren 12 great grandchildren and 1 Great-Great Grandchild.
May God Bless his soul !

Dennis Eugene
12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Mentalhawk, first let me welcome you to cast boolits and let me tell you what a wonderful first post this is. It is so great of you to revive this old thread with such a good story and informative to boot. Thanks for shareing some of your info. My Lachmiller mold is one of my favorites and I recently shared a thread about it here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175463-Lachmiller-429-250-Gas-Check-3-Cav-Mold Once again welcome and Thanks. Dennis

Pavogrande
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Very nice to see this info on mr lachmiller -- A very impressive life --
I still use the press and primer tools -- hell for stout --
I have some of the 1 1/4" (?) shot shell dies and while I have never used them they are also very massive - I think Herter sold a similar set.

Mike Kerr
12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Post No 23 has great information on Mr Lachmiller. Thanks for reviving the thread and for the information.

regards,
:):)

Turquoise Bill
01-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I have 2 Lachmiller case length gauges, both are set up for .38, 45 ACP with the correct sleeves. If you need one PM me and I'll see if I can part with one.
TB

Littlewolf
11-27-2017, 10:03 PM
i have an adjustable case length gauge / comparator type tool. discribed as a solid base with post and adjustable top plate has a .010" step, top plate is held in place with a small allen et screw. who among you knows these tools? no i don't want to part with mine, i would like another one or a few replicated off of it.

salpal48
11-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Lachmiller Forte I would Have to say was his Innovative Reloading designs. Many of the older RCBS tools were Lachmiller designs
Primer tool ( copied By RCBS)
Bullet sizer ( copied by RCBS)
Powder measure ( copied by RCBS as uniflow)
Lachmiller Powerhouse Press ( copied by RCBS as 4x4)
Some of Lachmiller Presses were also Unique . His 100, and 400 It short stocky and Specific Tilt . makes It very strong.
His later design Olympian 707 Truly Unique, Pyamid shape Cross between "C" and "O" press.

TNsailorman
11-28-2017, 01:10 AM
I have one of the Lachmiller 707 Pyramid presses and it is indeed unique. I like it because it is open and easy for wide hands to work with. Runs smooth also. james

jmorris
11-29-2017, 10:15 PM
My first press was an LEC, too bad Photobucket ruined so many good threads, like his one.

maxreloader
11-29-2017, 10:23 PM
lachmiller dies are very good quality, but hard to come across.

quasi
12-02-2017, 05:01 PM
this place sells a copy of Lacmillers 1969 catalog.

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=4137

W.R.Buchanan
12-04-2017, 02:52 PM
My 311041 .30 cal. Bullet Mould is a Lachmiller Mould.

I also have a 12 ga Shotshell Sizer. I completely refurbished it and it works great. Parts for it were still available form RCBS! It sizes the base of the hull and knocks the primer out. You do this to all your hulls and then wash them, and then when you load them the ammo is clean and runs perfectly. This tool works great!

I paid $20 for it and the new parts cost another $10 from RCBS Paint was $5 so I have $35 in it. Paid for itself the first time I used I!

Here's before and after pics of the tool.

Randy

TNsailorman
12-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Really nice restoration Randy. I have been seeing them lately on Ebay but never have seen one in person. They look like a really nice tool. Did you just polish that die or did you plate it? james

deces
08-22-2023, 06:31 PM

metricmonkeywrench
08-22-2023, 08:12 PM
I got lucky with my later model cam bench primer, it came with the kit with all the rods and the adapter for “standard” type shell holders so I was able to avoid having to find their unique ones. The shell holders are a bit different from modern production as the center hole is a bit bigger, lucked out there to as the shell holder it came with fits .45/30-06 cases.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?390110-Lachmiller-Primer-Tool&highlight=lachmiller

fgd135
08-24-2023, 10:41 AM
Sharpe's 1953 Third Edition of "Complete Guide to Handloading", page 255, discusses then-current Lachmiller products in good detail.

OzzieDoc
08-25-2023, 04:52 AM
This has been an interesting thread. And you're probably right, they may have never made powder. But the history lesson has been interesting. That's all amazing to me, guess it shouldn't be.

Herters powder was rebranded Nobels Glasgow,