PDA

View Full Version : Hello CB! Also a question about Hornady 230 LRN?

Josh45
08-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Hello CB. New to the forums and I do like it very much. It has a lot of info for people who choose to cast or just shoot cast. I would like to say hello to everyone and here and thank you all for the useful information that is found here.

Mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I could not find a member introduction thread. If it is in the wrong area, please feel free to move this thread were it should be.

That brings me to my question and before you ask, Yes, I have done a search and couldn't find something to what I was trying to obtain an answer to.

I had recently bout some Hornady 230 GR LRN for my Taurus Pt-145 mil pro. I had loaded them up with 4.4 grain of Bulls Eye. This was suppose to be a velocity of 750 FPS. I had loaded up just ten rounds.

They shot fine and with some good accuracy to boot. How ever I did have some leading at the end of the muzzle. I have read that I due to no lube or bad lube?
When I had bought them they had a powder substance on them and I wasn't 100% sure what it was. I figured dry lube or something of the sort.

Also they were already sized at .452. No, I did not slug my bore in order to find out I that was the correct diameter. I know, I should have done that before.

So my question is this, what or why would his happen exactly? Should I try some lube on these bullets and let them sit over night and go from there? I don't know the BHN o these rounds.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction with these rounds, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you everyone.

waksupi
08-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Welcome aboard, Josh. I would suspect that your bullets are slightly undersized or too hard, causing the leading.

Josh45
08-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Waksupi,

Hmm... Well I have no way of sizing them but they are pretty hard for that matter. Any way to resolve this problem? I still have about 190 rounds to go. I would like to shoot em all.

It took about 30-45 min to remove the leading with Hoppes #9, CLP and I had bought a lead cloth remover. That helped out a lot. So, any suggestions?

35remington
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Yes.

Speed them up. Try 4.8 to 5.0 Bullseye. Hornady uses a dry lubricant on these bullets that should be adequate at standard, 800 fps-ish velocities. Those I have shot at such speeds shot cleanly.

They will start leading again if velocities are too high, but this is a reasonable range.

New barrel or well used?

If leading persists, give them a light tumble in Lee Liquid Alox as a supplement to their present lube. Try some as is and some tumble lubed before loading any great quantity. If all is good, go with what worked.

These are typical swaged lead hardness. That is, harder than pure lead but softer than air cooled wheelweights.

mooman76
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
You could try some alox tumble lube. It may take care of the problem or part of it. Other than that, not much you can do.

Groo
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Groo here
Try to increase the load a little -- that leading is most likely caused by the bullet not sealing..
also Hornady lead bullets tend to be a little harder than Speer etc...

subsonic
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
You'll need to measure and examine some things. If these are like the hornady boolits i have used, they are very soft. Try to mark one with your fingernail and let us know if you can scratch it or even cut a groove with your thumbnail.

If you dont own a dial caliper and/or micrometer, you'll need a to get a dial caliper at a minimum.

If they are that soft, with a little bit of gun oil as lubricant, drive one through the bore using a 3/8" hardwood dowell or better yet, a brass rod.
Measure it to see what diameter your bore is. Pay attention to any tight spots where the boolit may be harder to push through.

How smooth does the bore look?

Measure the diameter of a new boolit. Seat the boolit in a sized and belled case and pull it. See if it is getting sized down by the case.

Do the same test and also crimp. See if your crimp is smashing the boolit.

Read the setting up 9mm for cast thread above.

Lastly, try a slower powder.

Josh45
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
35Remington,

I will give it a try at the 4.7 mark grains of Bulls Eye. The book list it at 800 FPS.
The barrel is fairly new. About 300 +/- rounds of FMJ thru it. I will try 5 of them without lube. I will either need to order lube or try to make some out of the many recipes shown here.

Groo,

I have no experience with Speer nor these Hornady ones. Im pretty new to this but I have read many times about leading and sometimes a faster charge can help things.

Subsonic,

Soft? By no means. I could make no dent in them with my finger nail. At best, It looks like a very small groove and my finger nail is being pushed back more than anything.

I do own a digital caliper. If that helps any?
As for a brass rod....Can I use those that came with the cleaning kits or is that way off?
The loads I had last, Were a slight taper crimp. Just enough to remove the belling. I tried not to damage the bullet itself. As a beginner, I know it was possible that I could have.

I will see to do what I can and probably run some gun oil thru it and see what I come up with.
Also, I would try a slower powder, But the only one listed in my Hornady Manual that I DO HAVE, Is Bulls Eye.

What about Power Pistol? A charge of 6.3 is to get about 750+ FPS? ( Lyman Manual )
Or Herco at 5.2 with a FPS of 815? ( Lee Manual )

subsonic
08-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I wouldnt use a cleaning rod to drive a boolit through the bore woth. You will tearr up the cleaning rod and maybe scratch the bore.

If they are harder, try the load others mentioned above that's a little hotter and report back.

The caliper is to measurd the slug driven through the bore.

Josh45
08-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I had a feeling that the cleaning rod would be a bad idea but wasn't very sure.
I will go up the load and report back of what is going on.

Thank you everyone. :)

Josh45
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Okay, I finally got around to shooting the reloads. I had uped the charge to 4.7-4.8 GR of Bullseye and......It still leaded at the muzzle. It wasn't that hard to remove this time considering I had found the Chore Boy copper wool and also a lead cloth remover. Plenty of LCP and Break Free helps as well.

Should I up the charge again or should I try a lube this time with the same charge? Or...Call it quits and sell it to someone and then buy .451 next time?