PDA

View Full Version : Whoo-hoo! Paper patch Rocks!

offshore44
08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Well, it was warm in the town today and the women folks were having a garage sale. I headed for the hills literally and figuratively.

Packed up old Heidi-benz the beater with the M24-47 Mauser, the big bore CZ and the Winchester 52C and headed for the hills. (Oh, and had the Colt 1911 along as well, but that always goes with.)

Got one of my favorite spots all to myself. Hot, a little breezy (15 - 20mph breezy quartering from the target area) Almost no humidity. Range is 95 yards.

Pulled out the M24-47 and loaded up five rounds of 190 grn paper patched from a stripper clip. Now I know that this rifle is a shooter already, from shooting gas checked cast in it previously. Slung up in the standing position using a hasty sling and proceeded to fire off five rounds, rapid fire. FIVE shots inside the ten ring of a 100 yard small bore target right out of the box! Whoo-Hoo! Did a little jig and loaded up five more. FIVE more inside the ten ring. Got giddy / happy with that! Burned through my last ten rounds of paper patched with about the same results, though the groups did open up because a bumble bee was trying to help me shoot after that. Wasn't trying to sting me, just looking for salt I guess. He'd land on me and walk around and it tickled...made it kinda hard to concentrate.

The load I was using: Winchester 8mm cases, once fired and full length sized. CCI LR primers. 42.0 grns of Varget. Bullet seated about 2 - 3 thousandths from being crammed into the lands. 2.982" COL. Boolit sized to 0.3125" in my home-made sizer die. Wrapped with two layers of licked printer paper, and the tiniest smear of stick glue on the bottom edge of the last wrap where it folds over onto the base. The gob of glue is about the size of the end of a tooth pick. Run into a 0.324" sizing die to smash the base fold down flat and tidy. Tumble lubed in Liquid Alox. The boolits end up right at 0.3235" diameter after patching and lubing and weigh in right at 193 grns. The base of the bullet is right at the base of the neck. No crimp, just set the seating die to iron the case flare out. The alloy is wheel weights and 2% tin. You betcha' I'm going to load more of those up, and play with the powder weight some and no case sizing. [smilie=w:

I dug out the .458 Win Mag and loaded up five 405 grn paper patched boolits after the 8mm experience. Three boolit holes in a triangle and two called flyers. If I could have put one of the flyers in the middle of the triangle, all four holes would have been touching. (The bumble bee was trying to help there, but no joy.) Did that for 50 rounds of paper patched .458. Nice tight groups of three or four and a flyer or two to spoil the thrill. This was standing and sitting slung up with a hasty sling. I'm still working on technique with the big bore, it's non-trivial to shoot 50 - 100 rounds out of that thing in a session. It's way easier to shoot standing than off a bench or prone though. I just have to work on the basics with it now, and get myself dialed in.

On the non-paper patched side: The 190 grn GC out of the Mauser was doing 1 - 1 1/2" groups like it always does. Stock military sights, too. The rifle is almost boringly accurate. I just wish the action was as smooth as the VZ24 that I had, but this thing shoots and the VZ didn't. Oh well.

The 230 grn cast out of the 1911 powered by Blue Dot was doing what it always does. Nice tight groups, and dirty cases. I can live with dirty cases. :-D

I was even messing about at 95 yards with the 1911, putting about five out of seven into the target backer at 95 yards. (16" x 20") Fun stuff, and I don't shoot it at those ranges very often. The long barreled .44 Super Blackhawk (with cast, of course!), yes...but not the Colt. It was fun if not useful.

The 52C didn't get to come out and play... That shoots lead as well, .22LR, and is the most amazingly accurate rifle I have ever held. The cream of 1950's .22 target rifle technology.

Thanks for all the help guys! It payed off today! [smilie=s:

Nrut
08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Sounds like great fun offshore44!
I know just how you feel when you start getting tight little groups, especially after some frustrating range sessions..

:drinks:

geargnasher
08-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Good times! PPing is amazingly simple and accurate once you get the tools and materials worked out.

Gear

303Guy
08-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Whoo hoo!:2_high5:

offshore44
08-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds like great fun offshore44!
I know just how you feel when you start getting tight little groups, especially after some frustrating range sessions..

:drinks:

It's pretty nice when things start to come together, that's for sure. Still no joy on the other Mauser (the M48) and paper patched. I've been hunting around for some valve lapping compound locally to no effect. I'll probably order it off the internet.

Shooting stuff is fun!

I haven't given up on the M48 Mauser 303guy...though I'm going to end up with two completely different loads; one for each Mauser. I was hoping for one GP load out of both.

barrabruce
08-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Not that I'm jeleous...well yes I am.

Well done .....good fun

Hope you will post in the PP August shoot.

Bruce

303Guy
08-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Hope you will post in the PP August shoot.Second that! I'm hoping for a Mauser versus Lee Enfield challenge! Should be fun.:D

pdawg_shooter
08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Kinda makes you wonder why more people dont patch. Guess they just like fighting leading, low velocity, and poor accuracy.

Rangefinder
08-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Kinda makes you wonder why more people dont patch. Guess they just like fighting leading, low velocity, and poor accuracy.

I tend to think the same thing about casting, and reloading... But then I remind myself that if they did, my lead supply would be in trouble, and our components would be like the Obamination scare of last year. Sometimes it's best to keep our secrets... :D Let 'em think patching is such tough, tedious work, and then we can baffle 'em with how well we do it. ;)

offshore>> Kuddos on a great session! As I tell em--even a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. Anything beyond that is a bonus!

joatmon
08-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I've never tryed paper patching ROCKS!:bigsmyl2:

geargnasher
08-22-2011, 10:43 PM

I've cast and shot regular boolits for nearly 20 years, and I always thought PP'ing was an esoteric, antiquated niche of the hobby. Then I tried it. Now I'm wondering the same thing you are. After reading Matthew's second book on the subject, I found that he wondered the same thing.

Gear

pdawg_shooter
08-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Paper patching just makes things so Easy! Yes it takes a bit of time and effort. If I was a zilionare maybe I would just shoot factory, but probably not!

45 2.1
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Hahahaha............. No, it's just that some people listen to bad information put out by some folks here. High velocity with no leading and excellent accuracy go hand in hand when you follow the right instructions. I've patched for the last 35 years and enjoy it............ it just takes longer for me than what I usually do.

nanuk
08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I've never tryed paper patching ROCKS!:bigsmyl2:

I tried, but my paper kept tearing on the sharp edges.

perhaps I should have tried washed river rocks first, before trying Mine Blasted rock

but my slingshot shot them OK anyways, but no confetti

offshore44
08-28-2011, 11:33 PM
You guys crack me up...sling shots and paper patched rocks! I'm a wrist rocket and river rock kinda guy. The wife wonders about me licking river rocks though...

I just figured it out today while I was loading up some more 458 Win Mag. I've used just under 8 lbs of H4895 and about 42 lbs of various lead alloys getting the Win Mag to shoot like that. I have no idea how many sheets of different types of paper I've gone through. Got a recipe now though! Got lucky with the 8mm. Now to refine it some and see what she will do.

I'll go looking for the August PP shoot and see what the rules are. Mauser vs. Enfield is a natural.