PDA

View Full Version : just poking around

jballs918
01-22-2007, 03:20 AM
hey blackpowder guys i was just poking around here and found soe really cool stuff. i have a quick question for you all. are teh 45/70 the same as the mordern ones or are they different. i think it would be pretty neat to have a large caliber in an older style gun. also is there any where where you could pick up a roller for a fair price they all see pretty steep. well thanks guys

SharpsShooter
01-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Original rollers bring good money these days. Modern steel replicas in 45-70 are proofed to significantly higher pressures than say a 73 Trapdoor or like vintage Sharps etc. That does not mean you need to try to load them like a 458 mag. The 100+year old cartridge works fine for both hunting and target work, including long range when loaded to Black Powder Velocities and pressures.

SS

montana_charlie
01-22-2007, 02:25 PM
i think it would be pretty neat to have a large caliber in an older style gun.
Then you need to look into this one (http://68.167.203.107:8050/FMPro?-db=GMA_Inventory.fp5&-format=inv_detail.html&-lay=web&-RecID=43321&-Find)...
CM

Kraschenbirn
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
There are still a few pretty fair pieces out there if you nose around. I picked up a nearly mint H&R Trapdoor carbine on Gunbroker for under $600 (including shipping) and am currently dickering for a pretty decent M71 Mauser "shooter" (with mismatched numbers) in the same price range. Matter of fact, not too long ago, there was an Enfield-Martini in .450/.577 sold through the Cast Boolits' "Swappin' & Sellin' forum for around $400-$450. (As I recall, though, it was gone within two hours after the initial FS post appeared.)

Bill

montana_charlie
01-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Seems like I remember someone else, perhaps a famous German, with the last name of Kraschenbirn. Hmmm...maybe it was the pilot of the Hindenburg...!?

shooter575
01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
The 45-70 cartridge specs are all the same.It is the loading pressures that are diffrent.Most quote 3 ranges,BP loadings for the old stuff ie trapdoors.The mid range smokeless ie 1886 win.And the real hot smokeless for the Ruger #1 or a bolt gun
I stick with BP so no real pressure problems come up.More fun also!
I have seen pretty good orgional Trapdoor shooters in the 600 buck range at the shows.I was allways wanting to make a Siamese Mauser into one But I am thinking more on one of the converted Lee Enfield instead. Anyway watch out The 45-70 is addictive

Kraschenbirn
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Seems like I remember someone else, perhaps a famous German, with the last name of Kraschenbirn. Hmmm...maybe it was the pilot of the Hindenburg...!?

Hey, Charlie...

Can't take complete credit for the "Kraschenbirn" handle. It's a carry-over from my other addiction: building and flying RC model airplanes. My first attempt at constructing a "sport scale" WWI fighter was a Fokker E-III monoplane and, like most "first attempts", it was a (sometimes painful) learning experience. The completed airplane, I quickly discovered was - like the original 1916 Fokker design - underpowered and somewhat unstable. One Saturday afternoon, as I was making repairs after a "semi-controlled landing", someone suggested that I should list the airplane on fleaBay as a "crash & burn special." Instead, I prussianized the spelling, added a "pickelhaub" helmet and handlebar mustache, to model's pilot, and "Herr Kapitan Willi von Kraschenbirn" was born!

Btw: the captain of the Hindenburg on its last flight was Max Pruss.

Bill