PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W vs EOtech 512

danielk
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Well I found out that putting my eotech on my 500 wasn't such a great idea. Worked well for around 25ish rounds then it knocked loose the lense on the inside. Anyone else had the same bright idea as me? What was your experience?

check out the video to see exactly what the sight looked like once broken.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr45nut?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/UCxfI0YcqVg

just curious if i did have a faulty sight or if they truely don't stand up to the recoil!!

ole 5 hole group
08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Yup - no problem except for the weight. I used the EOTech 552.A65 and maybe fired 75 rounds or so with no problems. Before I mounted that puppy I called EOTech and inquired whether or not the sight could take the punishment. Was advised it could handle whatever the 500 could dish out and if by chance something went wrong, just return it and they would repair it or replace it free of charge. The EOTech and the X-frame is one heavy sucker to shoot offhand.

kelbro
08-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Mine has hundreds of full power 44 Mag loads under it and not a whimper.

missionary5155
08-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Good morning
Send it to them. They are very helpful and repair thier products. I sent mine in (older model) & they overhauled it. Just cost me shipping to them.
Mike in Peru

44man
08-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I researched a lot of the heads up displays and most WILL BREAK. Mount screws will bend or shear.
The Ultra Dot 30mm or 25mm will hold up but their heads up can fail.
Then rings! Rings will give the most problems trying to hold the Ultra Dot. A scope is worse because they are heavier.
The force from a big revolver on optics is unreal.

danielk
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
44man,

Sounds like you've had a good bit of experience with large revolvers and optics. I tried the eotech out cause i just had it and thought it would work, worth a try and cheaper than running out and buying something. Do traditional scopes survive the beating? I'm looking for info from peoples experiences and trying to learn about my options. While my eotech rocks on my ar15 i'm thinking its not going to like riding on top of my 500.

subsonic
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Ever notice on all of th x- frames you see in gun rags, the scopes are slid forward in the rings until the adjustment turrets are against the front ring?

On my .30 herrett contender, which recoils less than top level .44 mag, it took several sets of rings before my 2.5-8x stayed put. The scope had to visit leupold due to the reticle tilting and elevation adjustment failing.

Lighter optics are subjected to less forces. Anything over about 2x is almost unshootable without a rest. Due to the long eye releif, field of view is smaller than a similar power rifle scope and light transmission also suffers.

Good choices are anything 2x or less from a reputable manufacturer. I like leupold and bushnell.

The rings that finally workex were leupold prw and i had to use an inch pound torque wrench and torque to the factory specs before they held. "tight" is not good enough.

44man
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
44man,

Sounds like you've had a good bit of experience with large revolvers and optics. I tried the eotech out cause i just had it and thought it would work, worth a try and cheaper than running out and buying something. Do traditional scopes survive the beating? I'm looking for info from peoples experiences and trying to learn about my options. While my eotech rocks on my ar15 i'm thinking its not going to like riding on top of my 500.
Subsonic said it well.
Yes, I have torn up a lot on guns including the .44, 10" SBH. I destroyed the soft tube on a Burris. I pulled the front pizims out of cheap red dots and had to steel bed them back in. The cheap Chinese glue without a metal roll over the glass just lets them pop out.
I have an old Loopy that has stood the test of time and a Tasco with a very hard tube that can't be harmed. I wiped out a Swift scope before getting it sighted. I tried a laser and it was gone FAST.
I will NOT put a ring over glass on any scope even the Ultra Dots. They need to be tight and can shatter glass.
Three or four rings help but some just have to be over glass.
I use Warne rings on my Ultra Dot for the .475 and the scope turned from torque but did not slide. Even the base drove me nuts so I glass bedded it to the top of the gun and also the screws.
No Ultra Dot has ever broke but I had switch screws loosen on one and Larry's guns put a new switch on it FAST, great work.
Whit and I have had Ultra Dot tubes get marked from skid but it has not hurt them.
I have even tried rosin under rings, tape, paper tape, you name it. The force is unreal on them. Those things want to stay in place as the gun comes back and the heavier the scope is, the more trouble.
The heads up stuff is just not made for real recoil. To have one last is luck.

ole 5 hole group
08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
The heads up stuff is just not made for real recoil. To have one last is luck.

That statement is showing your age Jimbo. The top shelf heads up displays of today - not yesterday hold up just fine, thank you.

I and several others on different boards use the Leupold DeltaPoint and it hasn't missed a lick in just over a year. It weighs in at a whopping 0.5 ounces. The over the top loads with punishing recoil from a 454 Casull, 500 JRH and a 500 smith hasn't even phased that heads up display red dot sight.

Haven't drop tested it yet or bounced it off my noggin, as I have normally shied away from performing those type torture tests.

danielk
08-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Wanted to update everyone on the EOTech. Shipped it off on the 18th and got it back on the 26th fixed free of cost and ready to go!! They even shipped it back to me NEXT DAY AIR. I did not ask for this. Now that customer service and refreshing to see a company stand behind their product AND get it back in a very timely manner!!!

SO, even though it broke I still give the sight and company a big thumbs up!!!!

ole 5 hole group
08-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Are you going to remount it on that X-frame or go with something lighter? If you remount that puppy and shoot offhand - you must have gorilla forearms, as that combination is heavy.

Paulinski
08-29-2011, 08:42 AM
I have Micro T1 mounted on my 6.5" 500.

ole 5 hole group
08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I have Micro T1 mounted on my 6.5" 500.

That's a great setup by another company that stands behind their products.

danielk
08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Are you going to remount it on that X-frame or go with something lighter? If you remount that puppy and shoot offhand - you must have gorilla forearms, as that combination is heavy.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. Its is beastly heavy and i wish i had gorilla forearms to shoot it offhand!!