PDA

View Full Version : 32 S&W (not long)

01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone cast for 32 S&W? A brief cross reference of my load data and RCBS/Lee didn't reveal any workable combinations. Only one I found was Lyman 313249, which Lyman has data for in their cast manual. Midway doesn't stock it, any idea who does? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

Treeman
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't load for a .32 but why not one of Lee's 90 grainers? There is Data out there for 100 grain bullets in the 32 S&W so I don't see why you couldn't use a 90 or 100 grain bullet -There aren't many 77-80 grain 32 molds out there but I'm sure you could order the Lyman311252 if that is what you really want.

woody1
01-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Anyone cast for 32 S&W? A brief cross reference of my load data and RCBS/Lee didn't reveal any workable combinations. Only one I found was Lyman 313249, which Lyman has data for in their cast manual. Midway doesn't stock it, any idea who does? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

I use the Lyman 311252 and have also used a Lee 90 grain RN, the number of which escapes me at the moment. Both are quite satisfactory in this monster ca'tridge! YMMV
Found it - Lee 311-93-1R. If Midway doesn't have the Lyman, check Midsouth. Regards, Woody

01-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Where are you getting load data? My books that have 32 S&W data don't list for bullets that big (75 & 84 gr are the only listings I think). Like Treeman mentioned, I can't find many man7 70-85 grain molds, except for the Lyman313249.

BTW, these will go out of a Ruger Single Six.

Thanks,
Josh

Bret4207
01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Out of a Single Six you can use starting data for the 32 Long and probably the 32 Auto. The SS is way overbuilt for this round. You'll blow primers long before the gun feels it. I use boolits from 84 gr to 115 gr (311316) and I bet the Lee Soup Can would work. Ken Waters had a Pet Loads article and if you search the web a bit you can find more info. Bullseye, SR7625, Red Dot all can be used along with slightly slower powders. With a 85-90 gr booilt in the SS velocity of 900+ FPS is easy. Just watch yer fingers- that case is tiny!

45 2.1
01-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Try here:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%52%45%4C%4F%41%44%49%4E%47&dept2=%4C%45%41%44%20%42%55%4C%4C%45%54%20%43%41%5 3%54%49%4E%47&dept3=%4C%59%4D%41%4E%20%4D%4F%55%4C%44%53&dept4=%2E%33%31%33%20%44%49%41

L Ross
01-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Josh,

I have a 313249, I think they drop at 84 gr outa range scrap. Standby I'll throw one on the scale. Okay, 89 grains according to Ohaus.
How many do ya need? It's bound to warm up here again one of these days.

L Ross

Dale53
01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
0802;
I don't really understand why you would want to shoot .32 S&W's in a Ruger SS. I will state without fear of contradiction, that the .32 S&W L works really well in any of the pistols chambered for either the S&W L or the .32 H&R Magnum. I had a friend who was a custom loader and I bought several thousand, "first nighter" .32 S&W L empties from him when Federal quit selling components to handloaders. I had just bought a Ruger SS in .32 Mag so you can just imagine my attitude towards Federal (they were the ONLY supplier, at the time of .32 H&R Brass). I bought a couple of boxes of Federal factory loads and wasn't impressed with them at all. Every time I fired a box of fifty, whether factory or reloaded factory, I would lose several cases to splits. Really "trash brass". So, I said the "heck with it" and started using the .32 S&W L cases. Never had a problem of any kind with mixed L brass. I ordered Hornady Hollow Base Wadcutters by the thousand and shot several thousand of these with nothing but a grin on my face.
My favorite field load was probably the RCBS 100 gr Keith although the few times I shot small game with one of my revolvers, the wadcutters did really well. Most small game are taken around here at no further than 25 yards or so (I am talking EDIBLE small game - squirrels and cottontails). If I were trying to "do a sneak" on ground hog, I would load up the RCBS Keith 100 gr (or now my Lee Group buy 120 gr RF or Lee Group Buy 100 Keith) at about 1200 fps and "go to it".

When I heard through the rumor mill that Starline was going to produce brass for the .32 H&R Mag, I pre-ordered a couple of thousand. Starline is EXTREMELY nice brass and I don't believe I have lost a case due to brass failure. They have been loaded several times. I have been up the "magnum" ladder but mostly just load target loads.

In case you don't know it, I am a REAL fan of the .32's.

If you want to load .32 S&W's in your Ruger, there is no reason not to. You have received good advice here to just use starting loads for the .32 S&W L. You sure shouldn't get into trouble with a Ruger. The S&W cases might not shoot as well as the S&W L or H&R Mags due to the longer "jump" to the rifling...

Dale53

scrapcan
01-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I loaded a bunch (50 lbs total) of 32 S&W with either an O or a OO buckshot with 1.3 to 1.5 grains of BE, 1.5 to 1.9 RD, GD, or Unique. Also used pure lead roundballs for 32 cal muzzle loader. All were shot out of a Ruger SS bisley w/ 4 5/8 barrel. Cases were deprimed and reprimed, powder thrown with dipper, and ball set with finger pressure or a small leather hammer. The casing cut a small ring of lead from the ball and sort of sized the round ball. The cases werre not resized between firings.

Why did I shoot these? Well it was alot of fun and at the time cheaper than shooting a 22 RF and I was busy reloading instead out causing trouble. They shot pretty good out to about 20yrds. never shot them much farther out, I could not see to hit the juice cans with a handgun at much farther than that. They were also pretty good for close in cottontail rabbit use.

I looked in the third addition of Lyman cast bullet manual and it shows 311252 and 313249 lyman data. If you need the 311252 data that could be available. Shouldbe an article in teh handloader a few years back. I have pet loads to if that is something that would help.

Have fun with the 32 ss.

01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice and help. As for the question of why 32 S&W in a SS, its mostly just to try it. Anyway, I'm still a little ways off as I don't yet have the sizer die I need -- waiting to build up enough needs and money to order it.

Also, thanks for the warning on Federal magnum brass -- I had originally planned to go with Starline, but had lately been considering Federal once fired. Already have the Long that I need.

Right now the plan is to run the 100 Gr Keith GB through it with Long and Magnum.

Thanks,
Josh

Dale53
01-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Josh;
As I have stated here before, I shoot lots of .32 S&W L and .32 H&R Mag in a 2" snub S&W L (Model 30, I believe), a S&W 631 4", a S&W 16-4 6"(with scope), a Ruger SP101 4", and a TC 10" with an SSK Custom Barrel.

Tonight, while taking a "break" I happened to pick up my new copy of Ken Waters' book "Pet Loads". It has indepth articles on the .32 S&W, the .32 S&WL and the .32 H&R Magnum complete with lots of loads and information on a number of the guns, etc. Really good stuff.

I thoroughly recommend Ken Waters' book without reservation. It is a compilation of years of articles in the Handloader Magazine when the magazine was THE magazine for reloaders.

I have had the two volume set for years with several of the supplements. The "new" 8th Edition is much expanded and has most of the earlier supplements included. There are only two supplements needed to complete the series after the 8th Edition of "Per Loads".

The reason I am bringing this stuff up is Midway has this book on sale at $30.00 (it is $49.00 at Amazon.com). It is a heck of a reference book, a really good read, and will help you decide on "which caliber for what" based on the dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of cartridges discussed at length with loading data for all. Even tho' I had the two volume set, I am truly happy that I got the later edition, recently, as it has two hundred pages or so of additional information.

It is a MUST for ANY reloader and besides all of the information it is downright entertaining to read. Ken was an excellent writer as well as an accomplished experimenter.

No, I have no financial interest in this book I just would like to share it with those of you who have not looked at it.

Dale53

Dale53
01-26-2007, 02:31 AM
Josh;
I have been shooting both the GB 100 gr Keith and the GB .314" 120 RF and have run several hundred through my guns. Both are excellent but I am being converted to a 100 Keith fan. You have to understand that I have been an openly biased Keith fan for nearly sixty years. The .32 Long and .32 Mag with a Keith 100 gr just look "SO RIGHT" and they shoot that way also!

FWIW, I have decided, after some use, that .313" is best in my revolvers. It is the correct size for my revolvers at .313". I use a Lee four die set (4th die is the Lee Factory Crimp Die). Using the 100 gr. Keith ahead of 2.8 Win 231 in the S&W L cases makes a dandy target and small game load. Using the same bullet in the .32 Mag case, I use 3.2 grs of 231.

I have already reported my heavy load in the .32 magnum with both the Keith and the 120 gr RF Group Buy.

Dale53

Bret4207
01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
One thing you may notice when loading the 32S+W and sometimes the Long is a slight bulge near the base of the case. This also happens sometimes with 38S+W cases. As near as I can figure it's shell holder to die interference. The case is so small that the die can't get far enough down to size that section of the case. The hotter the load, the more pronounced it will be. Obviously the looser the chamber too. This has never caused my any problems, just looks freaky. I thought of thinning a shell holder and cutting the die a bit, but since it doesn't seem to bother anything, why mess with it?

9.3X62AL
01-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Bret et al--

Me too--I call it "neck sizing by default".

I am in the middle of a lot of Starline 32 Mag brass. The first 100 got 7.0 x 2400 under the RCBS 98 SWC, and the 2nd 100 will get 3.5 x SR-4756. Just because. SR-4756 was Ken Waters' recommended powder in the 32-20 revolver, and it REALLY made the wheelguns come around with 115-120 grain boolits as well as 95-100 grainers. I saw the powder listed in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual data, so here goes. That Starline brass is just the best.

Along with Dale and several others here--I'm another mid-caliber handgun addict. I'm even furthter around the bend than most--I load 30 Mauser, 30 Luger, and 7.65 MAS M1935 pistol--AKA 32 Super Auto. :-)

felix
01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Me too, Al, include me in your camp of feeling good about 4756. It is the same speed as Herco. It is a single base powder and therefore delivers less energy than Herco. Herco demands a lot more pressure to burn well, whereas 4756 works well with a wide range of pressures. Herco works well when compressed slightly; not so with 4756. If you can fill the case, try Herco first. ... felix