PDA

View Full Version : AA Easton Big Giant Press?

Utah Shooter
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Is this a good press?

Utah Shooter
08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/shmoeee/10465108.jpg

Bent Ramrod
08-19-2011, 11:16 PM
It's an antique, but Phil Sharpe gave it a good review in his book. All parts were made of steel, all wearing parts were hardened tool steel and the leverage was 12-to-1.

Some Easton presses had heads which used standard Pacific or Ideal dies, but I get the impression the standard offering was set up for special Easton dies and shellholders. You may have trouble finding Easton dies and holders now, and I am not sure the Hollywood type is long enough to work in the press. Easton started in 1940 or so and was definitely out of business when the first Handloader's Digest came out in 1962.

Utah Shooter
08-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Ok so pretty hard to find pats for? That sucks.

Bent Ramrod
08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
You might check and see if the die head is threaded 7/8 x 14; i.e. that a standard loading die will screw in. I would think half the battle is done if that is the case. Then maybe Vega Machine would make you an adaptor that fits standard shell holders. I don't know what the priming setup is for the Easton; that might take some improvising.

Utah Shooter
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah it is the standard thread for reloading.

.30/30 Guy
08-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a W. Fuller press that looks just like it. The distance from the top of the work bench to the top of the press is about 11 1/2 inches.

The shell holder is held in by two set screws from the back. The shell holder shank is 1/2 inches in diameter.

There are a number of solutions for a shell holder:
Red Head shell holders fit very good except the shank needs to be trimmed about 1/4".
Lyman "J" shell holders can be turned down to fit.
Hollywood of "H" type shell holder can be make to fit. These have a 1/2" shank that would have trimmed and the upper part would also need to turned down to 1/2". The upper part of these are too long to fit between the top of the ram and the die plate.

The priming arm is 1/4" threaded parts that would be easy to make.

Pressman
08-20-2011, 12:48 PM
30-30 guy we NEED pictures. The Fuller uses a different shellholder than the Easton.

Easton shellholders are H type, BUT have a very long shank. Regular H type will not work.
I have one that a previous owner converted to RCBS snap in. It works OK but ruins collector value.

The Big Giant replaced the Little Giant made prior to WWII. In turn it was replaced with the Super. A cast iron press using the same basic format. But does not look as nice.

Ken

Utah Shooter
08-20-2011, 01:14 PM
So it would be more of a collector item than one to use? Seeing as there is not a lot of common pieces around.

pressonregardless
08-20-2011, 02:19 PM
A while back Selmerfan was kind enough to offer a Little Giant for the cost of postage. I took him up on his generosity. In trying to figure out how to deal with the shellholders, I contacted Buckshot, from here on CB, who was able to make me one from my simple drawing. The one he made me accepts standard shellholders. I still have that drawing, if you like to see it, PM me your email address.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2011, 02:55 PM
It would not be much of a trick to make another top bar with 7/8-14 threads in it out of a piece of square stock. Then you could just replace the normal bar when you wanted to restore the collector value . NO harm , no foul.

If the shell holder adapter is screwed into or thru the lower bar then a new one of those could be made similar that those used on C&H H frame presses.

These are simple projects and could make this press useful, and not affect the collector value at all.

However is there really any significant collector value here anyway? I mean if the press is only worth $50-100 to a collector, it should be worth that much to a user too. It is pointless to collect useless stuff that is only worth a few bucks, unless you are hoarding.

The last C&H single stage press I saw go on Ebay went for $125. I personally wouldn't have given more than $50 for it, and probably would have set it up as a dedicated priming tool, or something like that.

So unless this thing is made out of gold, and painted black, I just don't see the collector value as something that matters.

If you need it to use it, then get it, and make it work.

Here's something to think about.

If it wasn't popular when it was made, it probably won't be popular now to collectors. Just being different or rare is not going to cut it. If it wasn't a popular tool nobody cares, cuz nobody knows about it.

Supply and demand drives collectability. Iif only a few people know about something there isn't much demand , so the price stays low.

Randy

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Utah,

did you know Steve Fotou?

Rich

Utah Shooter
08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
No. PM me though.

NoDakJak
08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a set of Easton dies and that particular set is standard 7/8 X 14.
Neil

troyboy
08-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Tools need to be used. A press is a tool and as such if modification is needed to make it work..... rock on with your bad self. That is a good looking press BTW

Pressman
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Personregardless if you have Little Giant can you post a picture, please.
Ken

pressonregardless
08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Personregardless if you have Little Giant can you post a picture, please.
Ken

Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that mine is a "Little Giant", it's actually a "Big Giant".

Just sent you an email.

ReloaderFred
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Could this possibly be the primer arm for this press: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370532480618

I purchased it as a Hollywood primer arm, but the threads are 1/4-20 and it's definately not for either of my Hollywood Senior presses.

Fred

Pressman
08-24-2011, 08:19 PM
No, that one fits Herter's, Texan, Schissel H presses. The easton uses a simple rod, no springs, no cups. It threads into the bottom of the frame. Easton shellholders are an "H" type but are about 3 inches long (need to consult the note book for exact dimensions).
Ken

wiljen
08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
primer arm is just a pin basically. I have a big giant and the hard part is finding shell holders as I have found no standard model for anything else that fits. the dies are standard and the primer arms seem to be in small and large so once you have one of each you are good