PDA

View Full Version : S&w 325 pd!!!

mellonhead
08-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I just picked up a S&W 325 PD off of GB. This is the 4" version. Been looking for one for awhile and finally found one. You guys have any favorite loads for 45 ACP revolvers? I'm thinking I might just try and use AR brass right off if I can find any. You guys have any AR brass you want to part with?

Toby

Shooter6br
08-19-2011, 09:54 PM
ezz moon clips in my Mod 25-2 . Like having a bunch of speed loaders

stubshaft
08-19-2011, 10:14 PM
5.2 gr Red Dot behind a 200gr RCBS SWC.

mellonhead
08-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Have you guys ever roll crimped ACP brass then used them in clips for headspace?

Toby

Dale53
08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Have you guys ever roll crimped ACP brass then used them in clips for headspace?

Toby

It's not a problem. As you have assumed, the clips offer proper headspace. Most of the newer Smith's don't headspace on the case mouth, anyway.

I have a pair of 625's (5" Model 625-6 model of 1989 and a 4" model 625-8 JM Special) and neither of them headspace on the case mouth.

I use .45 ACP cases with both RIMZ clips and steel full moon clips. I use Auto Rim cases by general preference but, frankly, there is not a nickel's worth of difference between them when it comes to performance.

Just keep in mind that if you roll crimp to BE SURE and use clips.

Dale53

mellonhead
08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Thats what I figured Dale. I have heard and read that AR brass is better and more accurate, but you see no difference. So I might just go with ACP brass. It is easier to find!

Toby

StrawHat
08-21-2011, 06:50 AM
My experience is similar to Dale53s. I have used AR brass and clipped ACP brass and not noticed enough difference to warrant favoring one over the other. In my 25-2 and the 4" N frame, I can use unclipped ACP brass but find it enough of a pain to unload, I do not use it.

As for favorite loads, check out these threads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71109&highlight=heavy+acp+load

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71109&highlight=heavy+acp+load

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82903&highlight=heavy+acp+load

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58719

There are several others I have saved, if you want to read them PM me and I 'll send them along.

mellonhead
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Can anyone tell me who makes a set of ACP dies that have a roll crimp?

Toby

redneckdan
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Okay, you had all weekend, where are the pictures? :brokenima

mellonhead
08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I haven't picked it up yet. I hope it is here by the end of the week.

Toby

Dale53
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I called Lee Precision and learned that they will sell you a roll crimp insert along with the needed adapter from a .45 Colt Factory Crimp Die. It works perfectly with either .45 ACP or .45 Auto Rim when you need/prefer a roll crimp.

The cost was nominal...

Dale53

theperfessor
08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
I have a RCBS roll crimp die for .45 ACP/AR that I bought as a separate, single die. Check Midway, etc.

x101airborne
08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Congrats!!! I have the same revolver in 2". My favorite "bummin" gun. I like the Sierra 250 gr. hollow point loaded over unique in AR cases. The AR cases are only to keep them out of my autos. Acts like a ton of bricks on any hog I have hit with it so far. I shoot em straight through the shoulders. Never an exit, but you can watch the shock of the impact in the flesh. I usually load a full moon with two ratshot and four regular 230 gr. cast hollowpoints. Works great and if I go into the woods, I switch for the AR loads. I have never tried the RCBS 270-SAA, but have wanted to. you are DEFINATELY going to want to purchase the Super de-mooner and companion moon loader from brownells or midway. Got to save them fingers.

StrawHat
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
A tool to remove cases from the moon clips can be made from 1/2" thinwall tubing or something similar. (I have heard of fellows using shafts from golf clubs.) I made mine with a hacksaw and file. On one end cut off half of the tube to make a ledge about 1/8" deep. Cut the other end long enough to hold six empty 45 ACP cases. The tool is now finished. To use it, slip the notched end over a csae and rest one edge on the moon clip, hold the clip and roll the tool. The case should pop out of the clip and slide into the tool. If you use your pinky (or a plug) you should be able to pop out all six and dump them into the reloading bucket. I have used it (in revers) to load the clips also.