PDA

View Full Version : 8 shot 10/22 magnum rotor?

Markbo
08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Some of you may know, the magnum version of the 10/22 magazine holds 9 rounds. I don't know why it isn't a 9/22, but there you have it. Pursuant to my other thread about opening up the veins in the rotor to accomodate a larger round I have come to the conclusion that I cannot. There simply is not enough room.

What I need is to redraw that rotor to hold 8 shots instead. Am I doomed to an enormous (read unaffordable) set up fee at a machine shop to produce just a few units?

HollowPoint
08-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I've never seen one of the magazines you're eluding to in person but, I'm thinking that in addition to the setup fee you'd also have to re-time your magazine so that it spun correctly to align your eight cartridges instead of the nine that it was initially timed for.

Not having seen one of these magazines myself, I could be completely full of excrement in my assumptions. If so, please disregard my statement.

With all the 10/22's (LR and Magnum) in existence you'd think that somewhere there might be a machinist that owned one that might take up the challenge and modify that existing magazine to fit your needs; and his/hers with a minimum of sticker shock.

HollowPoint

deltaenterprizes
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
With all the 10/22's (LR and Magnum) in existence you'd think that somewhere there might be a machinist that owned one that might take up the challenge and modify that existing magazine to fit your needs; and his/hers with a minimum of sticker shock.

HollowPoint

When you find that machinist let me know, I have plenty of projects to be done!

jmorris
08-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Am I doomed to an enormous (read unaffordable) set up fee at a machine shop to produce just a few units?

Read my last post in your other thread, there is a lot to take into account. Unless you have the lathe, mill and other equipment along with the know how to use them, you are pretty much out of luck.

What exactly is you plan? If you were to make someone that has all of the above interested in also having one (like me) it would be easy to make a few extra rotors after everything is setup.

deltaenterprizes
08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
An aftermarket banana clip should be easy to modify.

Mk42gunner
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
An aftermarket banana clip should be easy to modify.

That was my thought, too. At least it would easier to enlarge the inside of the magazine for proof of concept work.

Robert

Markbo
08-24-2011, 08:14 PM
I've never even touched one of those magazines ... not a bana clip kind of guy... so I don't even know how they work. Which one specifically do you mean? The cheap plastic ones or the expensive metal ones?

deltaenterprizes
08-24-2011, 08:20 PM
A cheap plastic one if you are not sure if it will work or not.

jmorris
08-25-2011, 09:17 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what to buy for your first attempt. There are tons for the standard 10/22 but very little for the 10/22 magnum.

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/img/ic?width=533&height=260&fsize=999000&format=jpg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.sportsmansguide.com%2Fdimag e%2F119753_ts.JPG%3Fcell%3D300%2C300%26cvt%3Djpeg