PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally got the nerve........

3006guns
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I hauled my L.C. Smith out to the range today. This is the 1880's vintage hammer gun I've mentioned before, but never fired. Chambered two of my blackpowder loads, eared back the left hammer and BOOM. Did the same with the right. Despite the pitting in the 30" damascus barrels, nothing let go so I reloaded and pointed at a cardboard election sign near the backstop..about 55 yards. Fired each barrel independently, then walked up for a look. Just roughly judging, I'd say there's probably 75% on the sign. That's only a guess though as I have yet to actually do a pattern test. Whatever the percentage is, I just figured out that this thing is lethal. My hat's off to those old boys from way back when. They played with some nice old toys!

I did the usual hot water/soap cleanup routine back at the house, followed by drying and oiling. When I was pushing the patches through I felt chokes in both barrels, one more than the other but I have no idea what they are.

In any case, I've determined that this nice old blunderbuss is still safe to fire at least with reduced blackpowder and an ounce of shot. I'm looking forward to taking it out to the desert at the end of the month and looking for bunny wabbits. Should be a hoot! So much of a hoot that I think it needs companionship...perhaps another hammer gun with better tubes...............?:D

elk hunter
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM
George,

Be very careful shooting those old damascus guns, they can be dangerous, dangerously addictive that is. I have several of them and shoot them regularly with low pressure smokeless loads. I seldom shoot black powder any more except in the muzzle loaders. Most of my bird hunting is done with damascus doubles. I'm sure you think the same thing I do, "if only they could talk".

Your paper cases will not last for very many shots. If you shoot your Smith a lot with black powder you may want to consider brass cases. If you ever need more paper cases let me know and I'll send more along. If you get the urge to shoot smokeless in it, let me know as I have some good recipes.

Enjoy.

EH

3006guns
08-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Thank you elk hunter. Actually, brass cases are next after these papers give up the ghost. Since I already had an old rotary crimper I just had to see how great grandpa did it "way back when". I need to shoot up these Circlefly wads also.

I've already sent an email to my gunsmith, cussing him out for letting me talk him out of this gun. It's all HIS fault that I'm now perusing Gunbroker on a regular basis!

myfriendis410
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM
There's another option to bring new life into an old double. Kolar or Briley can fit 20 gauge tubes, full length with screw chokes that will take modern full pressure loads. They tap in with a mallet and they come with a little delrin removal tool. Nested extractors and everything. I have a set of Kolar's on my competition gun but the concept is just the same.

skeettx
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
My 1893 Grade 3

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-013S20.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-014S20.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-010S24.JPG

I have briley 24 inch 20 gauge tubes with screw in chokes in this gun for fun shooting, In fact, shot a round of skeet with it yesterday.
Mike

Newtire
08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I still make it a practice to shoot the low pressure loads for the fact that they say it is easier on the action. In other words, the barrels may be OK but you wouldn't want to shoot your nice old gun loose.

Have fun shooting your old classic gun!