PDA

View Full Version : removing firing pin on BAR mk ll HELP!!!!

Depreacher
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Have the bolt assy out, of course, but not much luck on getting the little retaining pin out that keeps the firing pin in. It's in the upper one third of the little tubular part of the bolt rear. I ran the bolt rear in to the main body so as to support it, leaving just enough of the pin out for removal, then clamped the bolt assy in a vice (Between 2 pieces of wood). If you've done it before, you know that the pin is slanted on both sides, and hard to get a solid whack on it. [smilie=b:Oddly enough, I cleaned a BAR last year, and the pin was'nt this difficult to remove. Years of WD-40 had gummed this rifle up beyond belief. Any help is sure appreciated. Mack

Depreacher
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Had to use all 16 brain cells for this. I took a sharp punch and put a small indention on the pin at a 90 degree angle to the angled face. I drove the pin from left to right, but it doesn't matter. The pin prick on the pin gave me some purchase area for a sharp nail. A nail is hard enough to drive the pin but not expand the driven end of the pin like a hardened sharp punch might. had just enough of the bolt rear out of the bolt shroud so as to support the small tubular rear of the bolt. After several good whacks it started moving, finally coming out. Have a great day. :smile: Mack