PDA

View Full Version : truing the base of a lead bullet

Hank45
08-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Have anyone heard of a tool that you use to true up the base of a lead bullet? I will describe it, the base is solid steel with a solid steel swinging arm that is notched in its front to hold the bullet, the bullet is held against the notch with your thumb and then the bullet is swung across a piece of sandpaper to true the base of the. Thanks for your answer, Hank

08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Why not use a common mill file?

mold maker
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I've never seen such a tool, but if tolerances aren't very small, the results wouldn't be an improvement.

dragonrider
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
If your mold top is flat and the sprue plate is flat and sits well on the mold, there is no need for such a tool. If your molds have problems in these areas correct them instead of adding another operation.

Maven
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
"Has anyone heard of a tool that you use to true up the base of a lead bullet?"

I remember reading about that device several years ago, but not since then. I gather it wasn't an unqualified success.

Nueces
08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I remember that thing, too. Written up or advertised in one of the gunzines, then faded away. As mold maker said, it'd have to be dead nuts to provide any benefit. I was leery of the lead dust it would have produced.

In those days (pre web), it was difficult and chancy to get access to decent moulds and good poop on casting and there was a LOT of bad advice going around as gospel. Turns out Harvey Donaldson had it about right.

Mark