PDA

View Full Version : Lucky

IcerUSA
01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Went to the range today, about 17 to 20 degrees outside and had a poof load:( , bullet jammed in the barrel of one of my 45's, LUCKILY it lodged just into the rifleing so the next bullet didn't chamber all the way, all the loads where measured in that lot also, hmmmm, could it have been the temp, power, primer, or a combo of all these, the other 49 in the box shot well, load was 3.8gn's Titegroup, 190SWC out of my Lee mold, and CCI LPP's, Input of any type is greatly appreciated as I wouldn't want to get 2 slugs in a 45 at the same time, bad things might surely happen:confused:

44man
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I can understand it. That is a very light load for Tite group! You should be using around 5 gr's.

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I found some .44 Specials that I'd loaded back when I thought automotive grease was a reasonable lube, before I realized that oil seeps out of it and fouls the powder. Took them out to the range yesterday with the Bulldog and shot them. Knowing I might get some squibs, I was being very attentive. Most shot more or less normally. Several made a funny little POP and barely got the bullet out of the barrel. I'd open the revolver and look through the barrel each time to make sure it was clear. One stuck the bullet halfway up the barrel. It made a funny whistling noise as the gas leaked out through the cylinder gap. Pushed it out with a Chrony diffuser support rod, and I have it here on my desk. Nice slug of my bore!

wills
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
I found some .44 Specials that I'd loaded back when I thought automotive grease was a reasonable lube, before I realized that oil seeps out of it and fouls the powder. Pushed it out with a Chrony diffuser support rod, and I have it here on my desk. Nice slug of my bore!

Lets see a picture.

IcerUSA
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry guys, that should have read 4.8 not 3.8, 3.8 was in the 9mm, my bad gezzzz:Fire: :mrgreen:

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Lets see a picture.
Here you go. A bit overexposed.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/Stuck44.jpg

44man
01-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Now you have me wondering if Tite group is temperature sensitive! I would go to a hotter primer in that cold weather.

IcerUSA
01-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Kind of what I was thinking, altho it is what my powder guy recomended, was useing Power Pistol and ran out and couldn't get any localy so my powder guy said that everyone around here was useing Titegroup as it was more cold tolorant hmmmm. It was around 20F. outside that day also, I'm not an indoor shooter :Fire: . Snow, Rain, Wind, Heat, Cold, that is where I shoot, guess I'll be trying a few powders to get one that works in all the conditions above, any recomandations ? Thanks for your input :castmine: