PDA

View Full Version : Mold mod overboard

AbitNutz
08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Ok, so I found a mold I really like for my Ruger Old Army. It's the BigLube 210. So just like I can't stop messing with guns and cars. I thought, I wonder how this would shoot if it were a HP? So first I got a jig and that works well but it's slow. The bizarre part is that accuracy improved a bit. Not much 'cause there wasn't far to go.

So I sent it to Hollow Point Mold Service and he used his inset method to HP the first 3 cavities. Works really well.

Then I got a steel sprue plate from Jim. Nice, square flat. Perfect bases.

Then I saw where Red River was selling cam handles that didn't break off. Haven't gotten those yet as their coming from Canada and I assume no one can believe the Canadian Dollar is now worth more than the American.

By the way...I don't know who is making the molds for Dick Dastardly but it's not a Lee production mold. The old ones were, this is definitely not.

Also, I'm thinking about some of those locking mold handles from Carbine Tree and mod those a bit to fit.

Now when you add all this up its nuts...go figure...but. I can transfer all these widgets (except the HP) to my other Lee Molds in a heart beat. So in that light it makes more sense.

I'm in the process of marking, drilling and tapping all my lee molds for screws at the pivot points and to lock the bolts in place as I may be taking them on and off.

This may seem excessive to some but you haven't seem my garage and cars. Now that's so far over the line you forgot there was a line.

Nueces
08-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Life is good, eh? :mrgreen:

Mark

AbitNutz
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I apologize. I didn't realize that what I said made me sound like some rich a$$hole. I won't lie, life has been good to me and I'm thankful for it. I realize that some have not been as lucky as I have. My father told me never to measure a man by the size of his wallet.

ratboy
08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
"This may seem excessive to some but you haven't seem my garage and cars."

:brokenima

dont see no pictures.

:hijack:
:)

Catshooter
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Ani't it grand to live in the richest country in the world?

And I agree, I see no pics.

Cat

Moonie
08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
AbitNutz, it doesn't, nothing wrong with doing well as long as it isn't at someone else's expense.

Nueces
08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Gee whiz, my friend, I meant nothing other than appreciation for your clarity in knowing what you want and gettin' her done. I'm much like that myself. Heck, Edison could have started the same way. More power to you and I'd really like to see your garage!

Mark

cajun shooter, below, has interpreted my meaning perfectly (thanks)

cajun shooter
08-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Abitnutz, Although you could take the comment a few ways, I think that it was given in a more of ain't it good to be alive and able to do these things.
If I was measured by my wallet at this time, I would have to be observed on a piece of lab specimen plate under a microscope. Take Care

Catshooter
08-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Some on this board could buy and sell the rest of us twice a day and never notice. Some aren't so fortunate. Who cares? We share the love of casting.

And I still see no pics . . .

Cat

ratboy
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
yeah,i thought there was speak of cars and garages? dont make me post pictures from work..........

:)

bearcove
08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Cars and garages, At least I haven't heard any of that crazy talk of having the cars IN the garage

GLL
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Cars IN a garage ? I can't get my truck even CLOSE to my garage ! :) :)

Jerry

Rangefinder
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Cars IN a garage ? I can't get my truck even CLOSE to my garage !
Ain't THAT the truth!! I have to do a fall clean-up just so I can fit my bike in there for the winter, and it ain't no little shed that I call a garage... LOL

To the OP---There are those who like to shoot once in a while, much like those who commute to work. Then there are the nut-jobs like us who have to drive faster, corner tighter, and don't mind tearing down a motor to install a different cam to yank out 5 more horsepower... We're also the nut-jobs who would take a perfectly good factory mold and work it over 10 ways from sunday to drop boolits that don't even really resemble the original. Ask most of my molds--they'll confess how crazy I can be... It's good to know I'm not alone! :D

Springfield
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
You guys aren't doing it right. I got my motorcycle in the garage just fine. I just had to disassemble it first! See, it's right there on the bench to the left, above the tumblers and the air compresor

dnotarianni
08-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I spent my money on broads booze and guns The rest I wasted!

AbitNutz
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I spent my money on broads booze and guns The rest I wasted!

Oh god that is funny! If you're author of that line....I intend to thieve it.

runfiverun
08-23-2011, 09:41 PM
i just gave up and did away with the garage door, no sense in people thnking i could get a car in it anyways.

Buckshot
08-24-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.fototime.com/7738A10EBF0D8EF/standard.jpg

.............I'd just like to know who it was that said garages were for cars anyway?

..............Buckshot

Rangefinder
08-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Oh, good lord--if we're going to start posting photos of our individual garage disasters, mine's gonna wait till morning... LOL :D

Sonnypie
08-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Ha, Ha!
Mine has so much stuff in it that if I fart in there, something falls out the big door.
My idea is that when I die, somebody else can clean up the mess.

ABitNutz,
Nothing taken that way, not by me.
I'm a do-it-my-selfer if I can. And so far, I get by.
If something doesn't come out the way I hoped, I only have to look in the mirror to find the culprit.

For example:
I have around 1500 rounds of FA34 30-06 match ammo I inherited. The FMJ BT 173 grain bullets are pointed. I wanted to hollow point a bunch as I had to break them down to R&R the mercuric primers.
(Dad and I used to shoot these when I was growing up. Then spend hours and hours cleaning the bores.)
I devised a holder with air hose couplings to hold the bullets so I could drill the point away to make them hollow points on my smaller lathe.
They now weigh 170 grains and are FMJ BT HP copper jacketed match bullets.
Same load, same powder (4895), new primers.
I've been breaking some of these down and making reduced loads for testing next range trip with my cast boolits, using reduced load data. To work up a pet load for the cast boolits.

I ordered a 2X Lee mold today for 45ACP boolits.
Don't put it past me to modify it for HP slugs for the 45's in the family. :mrgreen:
Because I'm just that way. Been study-in old HP mold designs, like Ideal.

I collect ammo. Much easier to move around than cars.
It takes less powder to launch a boolit, then it does to launch a car. :drinks:

Cherokee
08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm the odd one I guess, both my trucks live in the garage, but let's not talk about basements.

bearcove
08-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Ah! We don't have a basement.

Rangefinder
08-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Basement? I have a crawl-space.. I don't go in there without a can of RAID and duct tape on ankles, wrists, and collar... Let's not bring that up again... :D

MikeS
08-29-2011, 01:59 AM
.............I'd just like to know who it was that said garages were for cars anyway?

..............Buckshot

Actually where I live the rules say you have to have at least one car parked in the garage, I sure hope my motorcycle can be called a 'car' as it's the only motor vehicle that fits in our garage. So to answer your question the HOA where I live says garages are for cars! :cry:

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-07-2011, 02:28 AM
I have a three car garage, and my Fat Boy is behind door #1. My wife's Jetta and my old XK-8 convertible are both inside as well on the two door side.

I just have this little 10x20 foot "Boolet Factory" next to it for casting. You should see the cram job in my reloading room to get a few African trophies in there.

Rich

Silver Eagle
09-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Idaho, please post pictures... I would like to see the trophies.

Thanks,
Silver Eagle

beagle
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Ain't that the truth. My wife can't pass up a yard sale./beagle

Cars IN a garage ? I can't get my truck even CLOSE to my garage ! :) :)

Jerry

Artful
09-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I know I got a car buried under there somewhere...I think under the AK and FAL kits.