PDA

View Full Version : Remlins

mag44uk
08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Has any one got hands on experience of the "new" 1894`s?
In particular the 1894CBL.
I need to know about how they compare to "proper" Marlin`s in terms of fit/finish etc.
I need to know whether I can justify the equivalent to $1600!
Thanks,
Tony

pdawg_shooter
08-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Poorly, very poorly. Fact is Remington has stopped production of Marlin lever actions till they get their QC problems fixed.

Ben
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Based on what I'm reading, I'd be reluctant to buy a new one right now.
I believe I'd wait and see if they can get their act together.

Ben

edler7
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I saw a new Marlington 444 at the gun shop the other day. Finish was pretty good, nice wood, no crooked screws that I saw.

The action had all the silky smoothness of a rusty bumper jack. The owner told me they had been sending almost every "new" Marlin back for repair. I passed on this one.

mag44uk
08-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the replies chaps.
There are some here in the UK now and I will have to have a look at them.
Not looking good though!
Tony

Swampman
08-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Poorly, very poorly. Fact is Remington has stopped production of Marlin lever actions till they get their QC problems fixed.

Not a true statement.

JesterGrin_1
08-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Whether it is true or not they should have stopped production on there Lever Guns as all they are sending out are mostly junk. They need to get things fixed one way or the other.

EDK
08-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Finding any MARLIN, new or used, is getting a lot harder since the news of the acquisition and subequent move of manufacturing. I have a couple that I was going to sell or trade off and decided to keep. With the prices you have to pay and "all the hoops you have to jump through" to own a firearm in the UK, I would only buy a gun that I had examined, I've only seen a few "REMLINS;' half of them looked pretty decent...others should have been caught and corrected at the factory.

The television/cable news programs make things look interesting in the UK. The larger cities look like things are getting tough and having some serious social unrest. If it was going on over here, most forum members would be watching the perimeter with one eye and making sure every cartridge casing they owned was a live round. Good luck on finding a GOOD rifle and staying safe.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
I have bought an 1894C for my wife to shoot Cowboy Action with. Compared to my 44mag which was built in 2002 it is as rough as.

The wood and inletting are ok, althought the finish looks dry almost. Just a funny polymer finish I suppose. I will see if any oil will soak into it. Later down the track I might strip the finish and finish it with a polymer loaded oil finish that I like, but that is not urgent.

The metal finish is ok, very dark blue, almost black, it looks a bit odd and is complety different to the six or seven Marlins that I own or have owned. The action cycling is a bit gritty and the internals look unfinished. The barrel is Ballard rifled with deep grooves which looks promising.

I think I will be putting a fair amount of elbow grease into this one to get her going properly. Hopefully it will work out fine. The Marlin was expensive, but I couldn't afford to get her a 1873, because they are half as expensive again.

I haven't collected it yet, have to get a permit organised.

As far as the 1894 Marlins go, they are a shadow of their former selves.

This one has a serial number starting with 91, so I suppose it was built in 2009. Was that before the move? Doesn't seem that long ago they moved.

Jeff H
08-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Not a true statement.

Share, Swampman,

As far as I have gathered, they have stopped production but I am unclear on whether it is to get their act together or if it's for good.

What's the story?

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
They seem to be on the shelves here, pretty much the same as they ever were, but there seems to be somewhat of a lag before they grace our shelves.

Like I said in my previous post, the one I put a deposit on the other day appears to be made in 2009 and it only arrived from the importers the a bit over a week ago. The importer may have had it in stock for awhile, hard to say.

GrayFox
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I picked up a Remlin 1895G at Academy Sports last week and have been working the action a lot with Rem Oil with Teflon in it. It has gotten a lot smoother after sever hundred cycles. The rifling looks good, but the barrel was filthy when I got it. Looked like it had been test fired and not cleaned afterwards. Looks nice now, though. Tuesday will be the first chance I get to take it to the range and I'll report back on the results. BTW, I just put on a set of the Williams Guide Line aperture rear and Fire Sight front sights and it looks like a nice rig. I'll comment on that, too. I'll take a digital camera along and if I get anything to write home about I'll try to post my first images here. GF

NHlever
08-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Although the Remlins I've seen lately are an improvement over the first ones I saw, I still don't think they are good enough for me to finance the training program for their employees. Like others here, I am keeping the older ones I have, and have my eye out for a good buy or two just to have.

Jeff H
08-26-2011, 10:36 PM
They seem to be on the shelves here,.....

I see them for sale on the internet. The shops around here have dried up so I can't say what's actually on the shelves. Have to drive too far just to browse.

Maybe they really didn't shut down production - or maybe it was for a few days?

EDIT:
I should add that my interest is not in acquiring any particular Marlin, but out of concern as to what happens with the industry in general and a particularly historical firearms company. It's enough of a shame that Marlin has gotten a big black eye recently and would be more of a shame if it's not corrected.

runfiverun
08-26-2011, 11:31 PM
it's a bigger shame that they were bought by a huge conglomeration in the first place.

Four Fingers of Death
08-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Sort of come as a bit of a surprise, they seemed to be selling lots of rifles and if anything with Winchester suspending the 94, you would think that they would have surged ahead. Maybe they did and that made them a more attractive acquisition.

At least they haven't been bought out by Norinco or Taurus or someone similar.

Swampman
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I just traded an 1895G off. It had a stock set that looked like it was painted with brown paint without being sanded. The buttstock & forend were cracked, the front sight blade was kept from falling out only by the sight hood, The forearm was twice as thick as it should have been, the nose cap screws and nose cap were boggered up by using the wrong type of screwdriver, and the hammer spur had no threads in it because the hole for the set screw was too large. It shot pretty good and functioning was good.

micky_blue
08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Remington will continue to make the 1894 in 44mag, a few of the 1895s and the 39 series. They have stopped the vast majority of lever action production til QC gets it right.