PDA

View Full Version : A stupid idea?

sirgknight
08-18-2011, 09:17 AM
The thought occured to me to load a few .410 shells with small spent primers. Over the years I have used anything from rice to rock salt in 12 ga. shells but I'm wondering about the hardness of the primers down the barrel. Should make a pretty good armadillo and rattlesnake load. At eight to ten feet ballistics won't matter too much.....thoughts, please!

P.K.
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM
There is a first time for everything I suppose....;-) I don't think it will be an issue as long as you use a fully formed wad cup. No contact with the barrel at all.

lavenatti
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I've used one or two to take up space (for a better crimp) under a shot load plenty of times.

zuke
08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Their made of brass, have at it!

leadman
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Some primer cups are soft steel, not brass.

firefly1957
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I tried putting spent shotgun primers in shot charge to see if they would whistle in flight it rarely worked and really messed up the patterns. As far as your idea I would worry about them rebounding from close targets and hitting the shooter. Because they are light for surface area.

shadowjames
08-21-2011, 01:26 AM
I tried putting spent shotgun primers in shot charge to see if they would whistle in flight it rarely worked and really messed up the patterns. As far as your idea I would worry about them rebounding from close targets and hitting the shooter. Because they are light for surface area.

most of current primers are steel and brass washed, if its a modern 410 that allows for steel shot ok, if its older 410 i wouldn't it will scar the barrel most likely even if in shot cup of wad, i have an old ithica someone shot one with steel shot one time, they wont do that again, also make sure you choke for a steel shot nothing tight or you'll tear and wear your choke, (if you have a screw in choke)

Utah Shooter
08-21-2011, 02:18 AM
If it worries you and they are spent primers. Throw them in the oven on a clean cycle. No more than an hour and anneal them. They should be fine.

zuke
08-21-2011, 09:13 AM
most of current primers are steel and brass washed, if its a modern 410 that allows for steel shot ok, if its older 410 i wouldn't it will scar the barrel most likely even if in shot cup of wad, i have an old ithica someone shot one with steel shot one time, they wont do that again, also make sure you choke for a steel shot nothing tight or you'll tear and wear your choke, (if you have a screw in choke)

A magnet will seperate them.

DCM
08-21-2011, 08:13 PM
If it worries you and they are spent primers. Throw them in the oven on a clean cycle. No more than an hour and anneal them. They should be fine.

IMO I would advise against doing that. ESPECIALLY if SWMBO is anywhere near home!

Even if they are fired for some reason they will pop on occasion when heated. Not sure why but I have had it happen more than once.

Very low energy but it sure puts BAD energy in SWMBO!!!

azrednek
08-21-2011, 11:46 PM
I've used one or two to take up space (for a better crimp) under a shot load plenty of times.

I used to do the same thing for a better crimp until I read in a 1970's gun rag it was a bad idea but I just can't recall the reason. The article suggested using pop corn kernels instead and I've been using them since.

tomme boy
08-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Are we talking shot primers or rifle,pistol? Shot primers are steel, everything else is brass.

firefly1957
08-22-2011, 03:55 PM
shadowjames I put them in middle bottom of shot cup then covered with shot I was young and curios. I am no longer young but still curios as I was shooting smokeless powder today no not in the gun but with it! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=125470

LUBEDUDE
08-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Like you said 8-10 feet - no problem shooting a few.

Not much punch though, due to low mass. Kind of like shooting your rice.

I've done it with a 12 gauge. very disappointing results.

leadman
08-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I deprimed some range brass awhile back and dropped a few primers on my rubber mat, it has the holes in it and nubs on it for cushioning. I then dropped an allen wrench and grabbed my extendable magnet to pick it up. A couple primers came up with the magnet.

I don't remember if the were large or small, didn't really care at the time. Don't remember if it was the cup or the anvil that stuck to the magnet either.

Anyway, I can't see these giving a usable pattern. Guess it would not tear up anything if they were all contained in the wad.

sirgknight
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
The only thing I would have used these for would be a close shot at a rattlesnake or armadillo (8-10 ft or so). They certainly don't have the punch for anything much farther. This was just a hair-brain idea.....and after loading a few I wasn't impressed at all. I'll stick with my lead BB's.....much more effective. Got some interesting replies though.....