PDA

View Full Version : Plated RNFP in a 44 mag?

msta999
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi all,

I picked up some plated round nose flat point bullets and started loading for my 44 mag. I went with the max, HP-38 11 gr, I have large pistol mag primers and a 240 gr bullet. The oal is listed as 1.62 for a swc. If I use this oal the cannelure is a little too high. Now I'm thinking since these are not swc bullets, maybe my load is off. Anyone have any experience with this? or can I just crimp it below the cannelure?

Thanks in advance.

kyle623
08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
for one, You should never start at the max load. max is almost never the most accurate. start at the min and work your way up keeping watch for pressure signs till you find the most accurate loading. is your listing max oal? seating under the reccomended oal will increase pressure. if your using the Berry's plated bullets, use cast load data. i"ve found mid range charges to be the most accurate in my 44mag with that bullet.

msta999
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes, I normally do start out in the middle, the first 6 I made are just that, but they are also a speer Jacket HP. I was reading the Redhawk was designed to handle the hot home loads and and figured I'd try it. One thing I did notice is some lead bullets call for a GC. This weight lead bullet does not mention using them. The load data has a pretty big spread, 5.5 - 11 gr. What I liked was the higher velocity.
I'll pull these and drop the powder down to around 8.

But I was wondering if there is a difference in data between a swc and round nose flat point. I looked though my books, but couldn't find anything to compare the two.

Thanks.

Bret4207
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
So you're going to start off with max loads with a plain based boolit? Do you have any idea what the boolit measures and what your guns throats and barrel measure by chance? I don't mean to rain on your parade but max loads and commercial plain based boolits often result in unhappy shooters. The strength of the gun isn't in question if it's a Redhawk, but the load may exceed the boolits needs and the boolit may be way off for that gun dimensionally speaking. It's usually best to start off at square 1 rather than at max levels.

msta999
08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I only made 5 and I'll pull them and drop the powder down so I can drop the oal to the crimp grove, then I won't have to worry about over pressures.

I was hoping someone knew where to get load data for RNFP lead in the 44 mag. I haven't been able to find any.

Matthew 25
08-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Copy that, take it slow. If you're not happy with a way that your components are working or fitting together, put them on the back shelf. Take this load data with a grain of salt:
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Bret4207
08-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Look for "Cowboy" loads or use the starting data for jacketed of near the same weight and work up. Anything within 10-15 grs of the ACTUAL (not advertised) weight of the boolit will work to start with.

44man
08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Just why in the world are you using LP MAG primers with HP38? I will NOT use them with 296 or H110.
Crimp in the canalure. Just why are you looking at OAL?
It must fit the gun, bottom line. If the bullet does not stick out the front of the cylinder, leave it alone.
Never load max at the start, work loads.
Why HP38 in a .44 mag anyway?

Bret4207
08-20-2011, 09:19 AM
A correction to my post #7- 10-15 grs WITH A 44 or 45 CALIBER BOOLIT. 10-15 grs in a 22 might be disaster!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi all,
I picked up some plated round nose flat point bullets and started loading for my 44 mag. I went with the max, HP-38 11 gr, I have large pistol mag primers and a 240 gr bullet. The oal is listed as 1.62 for a swc. If I use this oal the cannelure is a little too high. Now I'm thinking since these are not swc bullets, maybe my load is off. Anyone have any experience with this? or can I just crimp it below the cannelure?
Thanks in advance.

well, you have got the warnings about starting with a MAX load, so I won't expound on that.

If you are loading for one particular revolver, documented OAL isn't
really that important, but is a good starting point. I seat a bullet so
the ojive either contacts the throat or up to 0.020" off the throat.

I don't think a magnum primer is necessary.

I think HP-38 is too fast of a powder for your load recipe, this is my reasoning:

If you notice in the manuals, cast Lead lubed boolits generally use
a faster burning powder than jackets bullets. the lead and the lube
generally will create less friction, so a faster powder will generally
provide better accuracy. Now Berry's or the like plated bullets
are generally a soft alloy, so it stands to reason that they will
create less friction than commercial copper jacketed bullet,
but more than Lubed cast boolits. So a powder with a burn rate
in the middle of the two extremes seems the likely place to start.

For 240 gr. plated bullets, I have used Blue Dot with success,
and that has a bit slower burn rate that the "middle" of which I speak.
So, if you don't have Blue Dot, than, maybe look to a slightly faster powder.
there is a sticky thread in the canister powder section with links to burn rates
of powders if you need a list.
Always start with the "Start" loads"

Crimp...some powders need a heavy crimp, some don't,
read any footnotes in the manuals where you find load data
of the powder you want to try.

Myself, I use a light crimp with Blue dot with plated bullets.
Jon

PS. Note that I use the term "generally" alot, every recipe and Gun
are different, ie... If you are using a long barrel revovler you will want to
use a 'slightly' slower powder than a short barreled revovler. there are
many more 'ingredients' that can change your potential success.

rond
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
You should keep the speed down for those plated bullets, the plating is very thin and there is no lube on the bullet. A properly sized and lubed lead bullet can obtain the velocity of a jacketed bullet but the plated ones will lead your barrel if pushed to fast.

Kraschenbirn
08-20-2011, 08:00 PM
A few years ago, a friend let me have a misordered 500-round box of Ranier plated .44s on the cheap...he said he'd meant to order .427s for his .44-40 and entered the wrong product code. Never did get them to shoot anything close to acceptably in either my M24 or OM Vaquero. The Rainers were close to a true .429 dia and the plating so thin I could scrape it off with a thumbnail. And, talk about leading!! I discovered real quick that undersize bullets, no lube, and ultra-soft plating are nuthin' but a simple recipe for a crudded up bore. I ended up chucking about 2/3 of the box into the pot the next time I smelted up a batch of range lead.

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
All of the above is great advice. Do you have a loading manual? Have you read it thoroughly?

I'd load those 200gr RNFPs with a 44 SPL load in the 44 Mag brass for the reasons stated above about the copper coating being very thin and no lube on the soft lead core. I'd use 5.5grs of W231/HP38. Those are low-recoil bullets for those who don't want to mess with casting/sizing, very similar to the pure lead swaged bullets you can get from Hornady. In other words, they are basically only good for light target loads.

Keep reading around here. Do a search and read up on measuring your cylinder's chamber throats and sizing cast boolits based on that measurement. If you're not set up to cast, see if there's a local gun shop that can order cast lead bullets of different sizes (so that they fit your chambers properly). If not, there are some places on-line that you can find with an easy google search.

Stick with powders in the burning range of W231/HP38 to Herco or so. Unique would be ideal. Stick with starting loads until you get the hang of reading pressures. Once you read the manual from cover to cover (a few times) and get the hang of using your loading equipment start moving towards the max load for this medium-powder with a suitable bullet. Get used to feeling what the difference between a light load and a heavy load is like. Then, you can move onto some slower and faster powders. Realize that slower powders don't like being down-loaded and faster powders don't like being loaded up very much. (This is where you were at: A medium-fast powder with a hot load and a thin-plated bullet is not a great recipe. That's why all the experienced loaders on here suggested you hold on for a minute...)

It's good you ask questions. Keep doing that. Read a LOT, and experiment slowly and from a position of known safety.

msta999
03-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. I made an offer on a house and it went through, so I was packing and moving till just before christmas, then came the unpacking, which I still haven't finished! Anyway I forgot about this post, till I started consolidating all my reloading gear. Yes I got a little excited with the 44 mag loads, ended up dumping the few I made. I have loaded for cowboy, pistol, rifle and shotgun for a few years, but I have never used these plated bullets before. I bought some for .40 and .44 mag/spec, because they were cheaper. I now understand these plated bullets are pretty much just for plunking. not quite cast, not ... Thanks again. I will look up the site that shows the different burn rate of powders, that would come in handy. Don't think I'll make up any 44's, just don't think I'll shoot the 44 that much, maybe trade then for some 45 colt for the cowboy shoots.

Thanks again