PDA

View Full Version : Lipsey's Ruger 45 Flatop

Char-Gar
08-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I got my new Ruger 45 Flatop today and put 100 rounds of 45 Colt and 50 rounds of 45 ACP through it. It is the best new Ruger in terms of fit and finish I have seen in many years. It is a real crackerjack. All twelve cylinder throats measure .452- .4522. Ruger has finally given up on those to right throats and got it right.

If anybody is thinking about buying one, I give it two thumbs up! There will be only 500 blue and 500 stainless made. Mine is blue.

Potsy
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Probably gonna kick myself. But I'm waitin' on a 4-5/8"model.

tek4260
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I got this about 2 days before they announced it.... Started life as a mid frame 357 Anv model.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2947-1.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2949-1.jpg

Char-Gar
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
That sure is a pretty sixgun. I bet you are pleased with it.

stubshaft
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
She is a real beaut!

Dale53
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Chargar;
Congratulations on the new Ruger Flattop .45 Colt. If I didn't already have two Ruger .44 Special Flattops (a blued 5½" and a SS 4 5/8") I would have to consider it. Of course, I DO have a SS Bisley Convertible. It "ain't" a flattop but it IS a humdinger!:mrgreen:

Enjoy!
Dale53

Char-Gar
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I did some more measuring and comparing last night and Ruger has made the charge holes (45 Colt) smaller. The barrel/cylinder gap is small and the lockup and timing is great. The charge holes are also smooth with no tool marks and the empties eject with ease.

this is the first Ruger I have had that didn't need some kind of work right out of the box. Why has it taken Ruger so long to figure out how to make a SA pistol that doesn't need fixing?

I will admit this is the first Ruger SA I have bought in 10 years, so some of the other recent ones may not have the issues of the older ones.

Dale53
08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
this is the first Ruger I have had that didn't need some kind of work right out of the box. Why has it taken Ruger so long to figure out how to make a SA pistol that doesn't need fixing?

Yeah, it is a bit of a mystery. However, many other manufacturers have done the same. It is my belief that the reason all of the old timers swore that .44 Specials were more accurate, was that they and the later .44 Magnums, in general, were built with more nearly correct dimensions.

As an example, I have an early Ruger Super Black Hawk (OM with four digit serial number under 5000) has perfect dimensions and shot extremely well out of the box. My .44 Lipsey Special has perfect dimensions as well as the somewhat later Talo SS .44 Special. My Ruger (first year of issue) .44 Magnum Red Hawk has good dimensions.

On the other hand, my Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 Colt had tight cylinder throats as did both cylinders of my recently made SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. Early .45 Rugers are noted (just like Smith and Wesson) for excessively large cylinder throats).

Perhaps the reason for the proper dimensions of the new Flattop .45 Colts is because the distributor (these are distributor exclusive revolvers) specified it?

Another thing to consider - Ruger tests these revolvers with factory ammo and IS NOT INTERESTED in reloaders (no manufacturer seems to be) and they shoot well with jacketed bullets in spite of bad dimensions. So, they just go blithely along their way and only us bullet casters and reloaders (small percentage of the buying public) complain???

FWIW
Dale53

Dframe
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm dying to pick up one of the new 44 special vaqueros with a 4 5/8 barrel. Just can't afford it right now. Fourty Four Special! Ruger finally got it right!!!

Char-Gar
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I took a pass on the 44 Special Flatops. I have had a dozen or more 44 Specials over the years and have never found anything special about them. I have read all of the hoopla by the gun scribes about the 44 Special, but have found, for me at lest, it has not lived up to it's reputation.

I only have one 44 Special now. It is a 2nd. Model Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector that was made in 1931. When I got it, it had been over the bench at Micro sight and had their adjustable rear sight, front sight, checkered trigger, target hammer and checkered backstrap. All parts are marked "Micro". I picked it up in a gun shop in San Antonio for $225.00 about ten years ago. It shoots very well, but I stick to factory level target loads. I see not reason to hot rod a 44 Special when I have several good 44 Magnums.

I am 50 years deep into the 45 Colt round starting with Colt New Services and Colt SSAs. It is a good round and I keep my loads to the 900 fps range or so. Again I go to the 44 Magnums if I think I need something more.

The correct cylinder throats and smaller charge holes are delightful extra on this great sixgun. I have several old 3 screw Rugers that are first rate sixguns. One is a 1960 vintage SBH and the other is a 68 vintage Blackhawk. Great sixguns! Throw in my 1958 vintage Single Six and I am a happy guy.

The extra 45 ACP cylinder, adjustable sights and the medium frame is what made me go for the 45 Flatop. I have a real weakness for 45 ACP guns, both revolver and autoloader.

Von Dingo
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Charger,

Blue or stainless???

And Tek, beautiful.

Char-Gar
08-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Blue.. I am traditional and not a real fan of stainless although I do have several.

Von Dingo
08-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a winner.

Char-Gar
08-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Two more trips to the range and I am still delighted with the Ruger Flatop 45. I worked a swap with a fellow who wanted those pukey white grips for his black ones off a Ruger Flatop 44. Much better!!!