PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Whiz

lkydvl
08-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know where Buffalo whiz can be purchased? I've been unable to locate it on the net and their web site appears to be no more.

Thanks,

Andre'

Taylor
08-20-2011, 06:42 AM
O K,I'll start this show.First off,find a rancher that raise's buffalo....

Hip's Ax
08-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Sir, I see you have posted this question elsewhere and gotten a response with the company name, address and phone numbers. I will assume they are no longer in business.

If you are using this for a case cleaner I suggest a Thumler's Tumbler and ceramic or stainless media. I have been using the ceramic for a while now and intend to buy the stainless and try that as it appears it does a better job on primer pockets. This method makes the brass look brand new in 2 hours. I have stopped using a water jug for my fired brass at the range because this system works so well and that water/Dawn jug is just, well, nasty and a pain in the rump.

If you are using it for a bore cleaner I suggest if you are using a cartridge rifle to wipe every shot with moose milk, then at the end of the day use the moose milk until patches come out clean then clean like any firearm with solvent brushes and patches then oil the rifle good.

If you are shooting a muzzle loader I'm afraid I have no advice as I do not have a muzzle loader.

Good Luck.

bigted
08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
not sure what "buffalo wiz" is. i do know moose milk...50/50 water and balistol. makes a white milky substance that is nothing short of miracalouse. [that's "the s**t"]. this stuff works so good in my smooth barreled rifles that i never use a brush or solvent to "finish" the cleaning process. this moose milk removes all trace of bp fouling and if i need to remove leading...then thats another storie but if its just a small amount of leading...the danged moose milk removes it as well...especially if it is not tight in the barrel.

lkydvl
08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks gents,

Was at the Sagebrush shoot and was using moose milk to clean the two rifles. It did all right on the one that was just hard powder fouling after 8 rnds. The 38-50 was leading badly due to various reasons. Moose milk did OK on its powder fouling but was unable to get to the fouling between the lead layers in the time we had between strings. Used a bore brush and bronze wool after every 8 rnds and pulled lots of lead and carbon fouling from the last 6-8 inches of the bore.

Now to be honest, we weren't blow tubing or wet patching between rnds. Was our first shoot and we were woefully ignorant of such things. I figure between using either of those methods my 40-65 will be fine. The 38-50 needs proper bullets and lube for BP as well as wet patching or blow tubing.

Whilst there we were getting help with the cleaning by fellow shooters and one had the Buffalo Whiz and Murphy's soap mixture. After we had scrubbed and cleaned the 38-50 with the brush and Moose milk getting pretty clean patches, he offered his BWMOS mix. It cleaned a bunch more carbon fouling out after a wet patch and three dry it was far cleaner than we had ever been able to get it with Moose Milk.

That started my search for said concoction. We were using a 1/50 or better moose milk /water
mix to clean the fouling from the deprimed cases then rinsed and dried in the sun.

Am on the journey of BPCR and having just started son and I are having a ball!

Andre'

Hip's Ax
08-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome Andre! Glad to have you aboard.

Well, I am not the most experienced BPCR shooter, only been shooting a few years and I only shoot paper bullseye targets in NRA long range and mid range.

My mentor taught me to wipe every shot. We use 10:1 Tru Sol water soluable machinists cutting oil. 10 parts water to 1 part oil. For very hot and dry conditions we use more oil than that. We run a wet patch through the rifle before shooting each string then a wet patch after each shot. Might use 2 wet after the string. Anyway, in my mind this makes a repeatable condition for each shot plus it makes bore cleaning after the match a non event.

Black powder is rather a new game to me, I have 13 active NRA rifle classifications so the cleaning with Shooter's Choice and brushes and patches after the moose milk might just be because I think thats how a rifle is cleaned. I also oil the heck out of the bore and outside of the rifle too after and I do this all at the range before I leave.

It works for me and this is just my opinion of course.

Don McDowell
08-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Harlans Sagebrush GunCleaner works as well as any cleaner.
If you have stubborn leading problems there's not much better or simpler to use to get it out than a patch soaked in pure gum spirits of turpentine, pushed thru the bore on a jag.
But if you chronic leading prolbems then it's time to take a look a bullet size,design, and lube. Along with case neck tension and crimp, followed by fouling control.
Harlan also makes a lead remover but I have no experience with it, so can't comment on how well it works.