PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Pietta 1858 bbl.

Depreacher
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Gents,

I have a Pietta 1858 36 cal revolver that shoots 3 inches to the right at 25 yds. Elevation is dead on!!! The front sight leans to the left, hence it shoots to the right. Shoots a tight group, it does, But I want it centered. Since the sight is mounted perfectly straight on the flat it sits on, said flat leaning to the left also, I says, Hmm, the barrel needs to be UNscrewed a tiny bit, if it's a right hand thread, that is. I once did a 7 year stint in general gun repair, and actually kept a family of four fed. Try that sometine. So, I'm somewhat familiar with gun repair. Thought about drilling a hole almost big enough for the barrel in a wood block, then sawing the block in half, coat hole with rosin and carefully squeeze down on the octagon bbl. with an appropriate large vise. Should hold it tight. For the frame, I thought about a steel bar a couple feet long by maybe 1 1/2" wide X 1/2" thick, wrapped in leather or lead to protect the finish of the frame. Holding the bar in the frame up against the barrel cone so as to resist warping the frame, and moving the barrel out just enought to center the sight. Would a bar of hardwood be better??? Does anyone know how tight the bbl. might be in the frame. I sure don't want to warp the frame on this sweet shooter. I could move it just enough bit by bit, shooting it at a target after each bit of movement to, you might say "sight it in" the hard way. Any and all help appreciated. Mack :Fire:

JIMinPHX
08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
You might want to take a look here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91378

Depreacher
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM
THANKS JIMinPHX,

I read all of it, so am ready to CAREFULLY move the bbl. Mack

JIMinPHX
08-22-2011, 01:18 AM
So then, how did you make out?

I'll probably end up fooling with the barrel on an old Pietta some day & I'd love to have a preview of what to expect.

Thanks,
Jim