PDA

View Full Version : 223 barrel

quilbilly
08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
For anyone interested, I just shot my first group with my "new" 223 T/C Contender carbine barrel using the 22 bator boolit. Just under an inch at 50 yards with the factory open sights. The powder is SR 4759 at 10.5 gr. It will be chonographed at a later date but that charge should have an MV of about 2150 fps. Not even a hint of leading.

garym1a2
09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I was hoping to see more in formation on this. I just got a new 6up bator mold.

For anyone interested, I just shot my first group with my "new" 223 T/C Contender carbine barrel using the 22 bator boolit. Just under an inch at 50 yards with the factory open sights. The powder is SR 4759 at 10.5 gr. It will be chonographed at a later date but that charge should have an MV of about 2150 fps. Not even a hint of leading.

quilbilly
09-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Sorry I can't give you much more info at the moment. With bear hunting season on, I decided to switch barrels to the 357 max barrel making a light weight bear hunting rig for mountain biking in local Olympic Peninsula tree farms. Unfortunately I haven't even had time for that lately. I will be doing lots more with the 223 in a month after I put on peep sights. I expect good results since I used the same load in a 222 and got MOA groups at 100 m but that rifle is too heavy to be comfortable on the mountain bike. The carbine in the 223 with reciever sights feels light as a feather for winter bike hunting for coyotes etc. The MV was about 2150.

cdet69
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
What length barrel are you using?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
were do you get the bator mold from?

sure would get a lot of 223 boolits from a pound of lead

JIMinPHX
09-14-2011, 11:50 PM
The Bator mold is available from Midsouth. It's one of their special order molds that Lee doesn't list themselves, even though they actually make it. Look on the midsouth website under special order molds. I think that about a half dozen specials should come up. The Bator should be mixed in there.

quilbilly
09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Midsouth is where I got mine. I had to wait a bit until they came in stock but it is a good looking boolit with that flat point. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy those tiny boolits cast and how well they take the tiny gas chacks. My barrel is a 21" stainless barrel. I had some problems with it at first until I started full length sizing the cases (if only neck sized, the barrel would pop open after firing). The stainless barrel also doesn't work well on the stainless frame but when on a blued frame it is just fine. All of my Contender barrels have their own "personalities".

badbob454
09-15-2011, 01:59 AM
only problem with the bator and single shots or at least in my handi rifle is it engages the rifling upon loading , takes a firm push to load it

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
thanks i see it at mid south now that i know were to look.

loading might be an issue it i saw some other post that the nose is now larger than the original , i wasn't thinking of using it in a singe shot so i am not sure if it will load on it's own or not i guess i will have to try it and find out and sell the mold if i don't like it.

marshall623
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
My barrel is a 21" stainless barrel. I had some problems with it at first until I started full length sizing the cases (if only neck sized, the barrel would pop open after firing)

Had the same trouble with 10" 7 TCU on a new to me frame -old frame neck sizing worked great , new frame it was hard to get to lock up even had the frame open on a couple while firing but full length sizing fixed it . When I compaired the brass I was only setting the shoulder back .002 when camming the shell holder over on the die

JIMinPHX
09-19-2011, 04:39 AM
only problem with the bator and single shots or at least in my handi rifle is it engages the rifling upon loading , takes a firm push to load it

Is that the older style Bator or the new one?