PDA

View Full Version : Brass Tarnish Remvoer

rebliss
01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
I have a vibratory case cleaner, but sometimes I have some range brass that's been in the elements for awhile. Is there a chemical like Muratic Acid, vinegar, or something cheap that I can get that will get rid of this tarnish? If so, where can I get some? It doesn't affect how they shoot, I just don't like the way they look in my ammo box:-D

Thanks!
-Rob

imashooter2
01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
A bit of Flitz in the media will take care of the problem. I won't use polishes with ammonia as it will weaken the brass. How much over what time period is a matter of much debate, but that it does weaken it is indisputable fact.

1Shirt
01-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Stick the real grimy ones in a lee trimmer holder, and spin with the finest steel wool, and they shine up pretty fast.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Baldy
01-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I been getting a hold of some real dirty brass at the range I go to. I been cleaning them with kerosene and while their still moist I put them in the tumbler with some Nutone car polish. They been coming out like new. Hope this helps you.

rebliss
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Baldy--is that a real tumbler? I don't have one of those, just a vibratory case cleaner.

Top--I've been looking at that Lee trimmer, with the little "mighty mo." Do you think that one works better, or is the one that attaches to your drill good enough. The only worry I have there is that the drill isn't mounted, and I'm envisioning trying to hold the drill, depress the trigger, and do my stuff to the case.

Dale53
01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't recommend using metal polishes with unknown quantities in them (like imashooter2 suggests, ammonia can cause catastrophic case failure). Ammonia, as commonly found in brass polish like Brasso of my military days, enters the micro-fractures of the brass, causes unseen but serious deterioration. That is an absolute N0-N0.

I use Dillon's case polish. It is safe and does a "sparkling" job. I have a large Dillon vibratory "tumbler". There are chemical case cleaners that are safe to use.

Here is one (I have not used it but it has been recommended to me):

http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=g96&Category_Code=Brass+Case+Cleaner

The price is low as it is a concentrate. It should work especially well in a "Thumblers" case tumbler.

Dale53

rebliss
01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
By the way, Baldy--I see your wife likes her Gov't 380. I used to have one and my wife loved it, but its reliability was terrible, especially with the slide-stop lever migrating out. I sold it, to the disappointment of my wife, but I couldn't trust our lives with it.

Did your 'smith fix all of its quirks?

rebliss
01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I use Dillon's case polish. It is safe and does a "sparkling" job. I have a large Dillon vibratory "tumbler". There are chemical case cleaners that are safe to use.
Dale, I've seen kits at Sportsman's Warehouse that have some sort of a dip basket with them. Will these remove that dark tarnish?

imashooter2
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Dale, I've seen kits at Sportsman's Warehouse that have some sort of a dip basket with them. Will these remove that dark tarnish?

Be careful with those... I won't buy gunshow brass anymore because too many use liquid cleaner that corrodes the primers and the flange stays in the pocket when you try to deprime. I suppose if you deprime before and rinse well after you'd be OK, but I prefer letting them tumble longer.

Treeman
01-21-2007, 04:01 PM
4% Citric acid solution will detarnish brass without damage. You can order Citric Acid through your pharmacist. Vinegar works but the brass tarnishes badly after removal from the vinegar bath. Citric acid detarnishes and after rinsing there is no residual effect.

DLCTEX
01-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Rebliss, I use a cordless drill with the Lee case spinner, chuck the brass in the shell holder, then trigger the drill with one hand and polish the brass with a green pot scrubber in the other hand. I also clean brass in a vibratory tumbler containing corn cob and NuFinish car polish which contains no amonnia and looks and smells like the Dillon polish. Dale

Dale53
01-21-2007, 05:19 PM
reblis;
I haven't used the stuff from Sportmen's Warehouse. The suggestion to decap before using a "solution" is good advice.

Using decapped brass and then using a water wash after using an acid bath seems like a good idea to me. It may seem like a lot of trouble, but you only have to do it once and then plain tumbling will take care of it after...

Dale53

Maven
01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
For what it's worth, Midway sells (used to?) sell a citrus-scented brass polish for use in a vibratory cleaner. You don't need to use more than 3-6 capfuls initially and only 1-2 afterwards for a factory finish + protection against tarnish.

texas tenring
01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Baldy--is that a real tumbler? I don't have one of those, just a vibratory case cleaner.

Top--I've been looking at that Lee trimmer, with the little "mighty mo." Do you think that one works better, or is the one that attaches to your drill good enough. The only worry I have there is that the drill isn't mounted, and I'm envisioning trying to hold the drill, depress the trigger, and do my stuff to the case.

rebliss, a good quality cordless drill with the battery at the bottom of the handle works great with the lee stud lock/shell holder. The drill will stand on its own on the work bench without being mounted. Triming with Lee case length trimmers, polishing with steel wool and champhering case mouths is very easy. My drill is has two gear ratios Hi and Lo it makes it very easy to control the speed.

tomf52
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Really hot water, a squirt of liquid dish detergent, and a few tablespoons of concentrated lemon juice (the citric acid I think).

mag_01
01-21-2007, 11:32 PM
-Try orange peels----small pieces of cotton cloth ---fresh orange peels are best ----will be your source of citrus ____ mag

DeanoBeanCounter
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Well sence we're into kitchen chemistry. It's long been known that vinegar and salt clean brass and copper. I have a bottle with vinegar saturated with salt. First decap, soak for about a half hour, rinse, dry. Polish by what ever means you have. Citric acid sounds like a good bet.:neutral: There's my 2cents worth.

1Shirt
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Rebliss, I sit and watch TV with a cordless drill in my lap, and trim cases with the lee in it by the hour. Once you try it and get a little routine going, it works like a champ for both trimming and cleaning those grungy range pick ups. By the way, when I trim the cases that way, I keep a small tin can between my legs so that the shavings fall into that. The other half is most appreciative of that, and if mama is happy, I gotta be.
1Shirt!