PDA

View Full Version : Diving Belt Weights

DrBill33
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Does anyone have an idea of the composition of the "lead" weights that are used in diving belts ?
Thanks!
DrBill33

Defcon-One
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, they are Scrap Lead! Garanteed!

Seriously, they run from Pure Lead, to Wheel Weights and beyond. Basically, watever the caster could get their hands on!

You gotta either Test It or Guess It!

garym1a2
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Could even be zinc?

bearcove
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
dive weight are made of whatever would melt. The rest is skimed and more is melted...

Hardcast416taylor
08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Friend of mine worked in a scuba/dive shop in Fl. They melted down anything that would melt to make dive weights. When I say anything, I mean battery cable ends, ww`s, keel weight, zinc and re-claimed spent lead from gun ranges. Fluxing was a seldom used luxury.Robert

badbob454
08-18-2011, 02:41 AM
melt some and cast a few .. may work great

Christian for Israel
08-18-2011, 03:05 AM
the local municipal water works gives me the lead pipe they dig up whenever there's a leak they have to fix...

WILCO
08-18-2011, 06:45 AM
You gotta either Test It or Guess It!

Yep. That's a good answer there. LEE Lead Tester is a great topic here in the forums.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
As Christian for Israel indicates, lead was once used for city water connections.

No wonder we're all dead [smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l: !!!!!!!

Back quite a number of years, I picked up pieces of lead pipe from the city where I worked.

The lead was in the form of a short piece of lead pipe which made a flexable connection between the city water main and the service line. Reason, to keep the stress of settling and expansion from distroying the connection between main and service customer.

Suspect there is still tons of that lead still buried, but it will only see the light of day if for some reason the utility folk need to uncover the main.

In fact, I'd suspect, there are still lines in use with this type of connection.

As said, no wonder we're all dead :redneck:[smilie=l::razz::cbpour:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot