PDA

View Full Version : help with 30-06

Jamesconn
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I am going to start loading for 30-06.
I could use suggestions on everything. I am going to take it hunting for boar and deer, but also punching paper.
It is the savage 111 magazine fed bolt action.

Char-Gar
08-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Everything is a very broad range of topics. To start with I would suggest you don't vote Democratic in the 2011 Presidential election.

Freightman
08-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Everything is a very broad range of topics. To start with I would suggest you don't vote Democratic in the 2012 Presidential election.
+2 on that

Char-Gar
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
James, I checked yourprofile and see you are a HS student. I would not have been so flip if I had read that first. The prime questions is..Are you handloading already and have the basics down. Where are you at in this craft?

leadman
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I know you have loaded some so will give you some general directions to go.
Use a bullet like the Lyman 311041 with a flat nose if you can. Better results on game than roundnose. Gas checked boolit best.
Size to the throat in your rifle. You will not want the boolit to engrave in the rifling but you will want it to fit the magazine.
Choices in powder are many, but recommend 2400 or slower. Velocity will not have to be extreme, 1,600 to 2,000 fps will do what you need.
Develop a load without filler if possible so you will have no concern with the powder mixing with the filler.
Make sure there is enough neck tension so the boolit will not move in the case, crimp if you want to.
In a safe area run all of your hunting ammo thru your gun so you do not have problems in the field.

I'm sure others will chime in with things I missed. Have fun and be careful.

Jamesconn
08-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I am starting to load for 9mm I am already saving up for this gun so I wanted an idea of what I would need.

wmitty
08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Jamesconn,

I've used the 124 gr TC plain base from Lee in the two 9mms I'm loading for. It's an inexpensive mold that can be tumble lubed and doesn't require sizing (in my experience). A set of dies and some brass along with small pistol primers and your choice of powder ( there a folks here who are much more experienced than I on powders for the 9) should get you going. Good luck!

Jamesconn
08-17-2011, 02:53 AM
As a matter of fact I have the lee 356-120 TC in the six cavity and I have titegroup for powder I bought some factory swaged and plated projectiles to start but I already have lead and a pot waiting to start casting.

I might get a lee loader to take on vacation.

Bret4207
08-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I would strongly consider the RCBS 30-180FN mould in plain old vanilla wheel weight alloy with maybe a little tin added. start around 16.0 2400 and work up. Other slower powders also work, but what you need is something in the 1600-2K area as was noted in the earlier post. The Texas deer I've seen pictured are not the 275 lbs northern deer and you should be able to take them cleanly with no problem IF shot placement is correct.

DukeInFlorida
08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
For 30-06 and other rifle calibers, you will be very well served by getting yourself a Lyman "M Die", which does a two stage expansion if the neck for proper bullet seating. Most of us who load rifle rounds with cast boolits like the M dies. Lyman makes two M dies for 30 caliber, one for the short ones (.308, etc), and another for the longer ones, including 30-06.

Once the neck is expanded, I like to use a Lee Factory Crimp die to do my crimping.